Immunity intricacies, can anyone illustrate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pineappletree

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The kaplan book does a rather poor job of illustrating what happens in immunity.

How exactly are the B and T cells related?
How do the leukocytes and marcophages tie in?

From what I assume,
the B cells encounter the antigen first, and then produce antibodies.
The antibodies attach and then attract leukocytes such as the basophiles and esinophiles.
The T cells are somehow activated (not sure how) as well, and their Cytotoxic cells engulf all cells with antibodies attatched while regulated by the suppressor T.
The helper T activate and attract more nearby T and B cells along with macrophages.

What I don't understand is:

1.) I know that the T cells have Helper T to activate others, But how do the B cells signal the T cells?

2.) Do the memory cells function by:
Being the first to encounter the antigen and then
Differentiating (is that the right word?) into the variety of cells (helper, suppressor, effector, cytotoxic) to combat?

Members don't see this ad.

You don't need to know all this for the MCAT. All you really need to know is:

T-cells are involved in cellular immunity. B-cells are involved in humoral immunity and are responsible for differentiating into plasma cells and producing antibodies.

I highly, highly doubt you'd be asked anything about Tregs and specifics about the activation/modulation of the lymphocytes.

if you really want to know, go to youtube and watch the khan academy video on immune system. He does a VERY good job at explaining the immune system. I am a visual learner, and it helps a LOT!

You don't need to know all this for the MCAT. All you really need to know is:

T-cells are involved in cellular immunity. B-cells are involved in humoral immunity and are responsible for differentiating into plasma cells and producing antibodies.

I highly, highly doubt you'd be asked anything about Tregs and specifics about the activation/modulation of the lymphocytes.

no wonder my intro bio prof completely skipped Immunity chapter or never tested on it lol...

Members don't see this ad :)
The only way B and T cells are related is that a Helper T cell is needed to "activate" a B cell that is bound to an antigen.

Macrophages are usually the first to come in contact with an invading pathogen. They engulf the invader and present its antigens on its surface. Thus, it is known as an antigen-presenting cell.

I will post a flow chart that shows how everything interacts and in what order.

I would suggest you start reading intermediate-level texts. Alot of your questions suggest a strong curiosity that could be well served.

I would suggest you look around the Internet for the following keywords: Antigen-Presenting Cells and MHC Complex.