Immunization question to retail pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

niagarafalls2015

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The retail pharmacies now all require pharmacists to be immunizer?
So I am thinking of getting immunization certification in NY.
How hard is it to pass the acpe immunization course? You have to test on sq and IM techniques to a fellow classmate I heard?

I am also planning to move to texas in summer.
Would it be better to wait till I move to texas to get the immunization certificate?
But it seemed like acpe immunization courses are only offered few times a year.

And I read that one needs to get a protocol from a doctor before giving the shots.
How can u get the protocol from a doctor?
Does patient need to get a script or something?
Any thoughts/ advices?
 
Yes, almost all retail pharmacies now require pharmacists to be immunizers.
If I'm not mistaken, PharmD programs require the immunization course to be taken before graduating. All recent graduates should be certified.
If you are not, you just have to pass the course. Giving IM shots are fairly easy, SQ takes a little more practice. Just watch a couple videos. It shouldn't be that hard to pass the course.
In some states, if a protocol with a doctor is required i.e. for a flu shot, the retail company (pharmacy) will have all of that set up with a local doctor. You won't have to worry about it.
Some shots however, like the shingles, may require an Rx. You'll become familiar with everything once you start working in your state. Good luck.
 
Last edited:
Unless things have changed not all schools require you to take a class.

With Walgreens its extremely easy, you go in give your peers a couple shots and they pass you.

Protocol is done corporately.
 
IM is easy, SC is a tad more challenging only because SC vaccines are admin much less frequently. If possible, practice on yourself with cyanocobalamin; it's how I got use to parenteral admins. Alternatively, practicing on friends/family with diabetes (insulin dependent). Videos are helpful as well