Immunization requirements??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeebythelake

I'm not a word-mincer
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know what immunizations are required for the US med schools? I need to check if my immunizations are up to date. I'm guessing rubella, rubeola, mumps, diphtheria, tetanus, polio, pertussis, hep-B, as well as a tuberculin test / chest x-ray. What about varicella and meningitis?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't know if there's a standard for every school but my school requires varicella vaccination if there's no history of chicken pox. As far as meningitis is concerned, we either get the shot or read an information sheet and sign about electing not to have a shot.

The ones you listed were also required, with the exception of pertussis. Tetanus-diptheria had to be within the last 10 years. Tuberculin test within 6 months before matriculating.

Every school is going to be a little different in exactly what thir requirements are. For instance my school would not accept an immunization record at all. You had to submit quantitative titers for each vaccination they required in addition to an on-site PPD. They also required a complete blood count with lipid profiles, and a few other things. They had to drain 5 tubes of blood from me just to make sure the lab would have enough to work with.

Members don't see this ad :)
Every school is going to be a little different in exactly what thir requirements are. For instance my school would not accept an immunization record at all. You had to submit quantitative titers for each vaccination they required in addition to an on-site PPD. They also required a complete blood count with lipid profiles, and a few other things. They had to drain 5 tubes of blood from me just to make sure the lab would have enough to work with.

Not to mention my school insurance has not started and I had to pay for all that stuff out of pocket:thumbdown:

My school required titers for Varicella (Chicken-Pox) and Hepatitis-B (or at least showing that you are getting the series of 3 shots as fast as possible before matriculation with a follow-up titer ASAP), a recent PPD (TB) Test, documentation of two MMR vaccinations, and a complete physical and history by a physician.

For those worried about vaccinations, the titers are pretty easy to get from your family physician or a clinic, the TB takes 2-3 days, and a MMR injection is easy.

The ones that may trip you up are the Chicken-Pox vaccine (which can take a month or two if you need to get two injections) and the Hepatitis-B vaccination series (which can take up to 6 months to complete, with the titer increasing the total time to 9 months). So, you should probably take care of those two now and worry about the other specific requirements later on in the application season depending on where you will be matriculating.

Insurance doesn't typically cover vaccinations or blood work, unfortunately. :thumbdown:(

Correct. My titers and other blood work ran me $800 out of pocket because it was not a "necessary medical expense." And it's tough to argue that. Maybe schools should start putting medical testing in their budgets for first year students.

Correct. My titers and other blood work ran me $800 out of pocket because it was not a "necessary medical expense." And it's tough to argue that. Maybe schools should start putting medical testing in their budgets for first year students.

That's a good point. Try and get these vaccinations and titers at your undergrad school's student health/clinic if they offer them. They should be cheaper than going outside of academia. Also, you can sometimes get the hospital that you volunteer at to do the PPD (TB) test and the Hepatitis-B series of vaccination injections for FREE. They probably won't spring for the titers, however.

That's a good point. Try and get these vaccinations and titers at your undergrad school's student health/clinic if they offer them. They should be cheaper than going outside of academia. Also, you can sometimes get the hospital that you volunteer at to do the PPD (TB) test and the Hepatitis-B series of vaccination injections for FREE. They probably won't spring for the titers, however.

when I was with the military all thar kind of stuff was free.man do I miss tricare!

Insurance doesn't typically cover vaccinations or blood work, unfortunately. :thumbdown:(

Harvard Pilgrim does. Just got about $2k of vaccines for going to Morocco and Ghana. Total cost: $25 in co-pays. That's $25 for 16 shots over 6 office visits! Moral hazard? You betcha.

Ari

I currently have United Healthcare through my current job and my out of pocket cost was ~$150 (they billed the insurance close to $800 I think). This was for a general physical/checkup, blood work (CBC + metabolic tests, alcohol/drug screens), tetanus shot, PPD, and a complete set of titers showing the immunity (along with copies of immunization records).

I wouldn't be too concerned about making sure everything is completed now if you are just starting to apply. Once you get accepted the school will/should send you specific instructions on what they require.

I guess I might agree with going ahead and starting the Hep-B series if you haven't already had it since it takes a while.