Immunohistochemistry for Dummies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ABC789

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any concise immunohistochemistry books out there? I find IHC so overwhelming sometimes and am looking for something that describes the most high yield stains, etc.

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Diagnostic Immunohistochemistry by David Dabbs

Best chapter ever, outdated but it helps understand why we do them.
Anderson Pathology 1996 10th edition.

Then read the Rosai chapter, it does not have all of them but you will learn how to use most.

Then go to Dabbs.

ASCP puts out Efficient Tumor Immunohistochemistry, which seems like it could be useful. It's cheaper than Dabbs. I don't know anybody who owns a copy, so I can't comment about its utility.

----- Antony

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the Archives of Path Lab Med .volume 132(3), 2008. You are definitely going to love it:). It has a special issue on diagnostic immunohistochemistry.

Archives of Path Lab Med .volume 132(3), 2008

I like going to www.e-immunohistochemistry.info - you can look up stuff on most antibodies as well as certain tumors and differentials.

Some differentials are not very complete..... bare bones only. eg 'spindle cell tumours of the abdomen' does not include pleomorphic liposarc, dediff liposarc, mfh, fibrosarc, IMFT etc.
Bcl-10 is not mentioned in the section for marginal zone lymphomas..

i wonder if this framework is open source, so you can continue adding and modifying , then sending it online for colleagues to see, a la Linux