Immunology/Microbio/Genetics Major vs. Neurosci major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obgyny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be transferring to a university soon, and I'm trying to decide what I'll major in. Ideally, I would prefer to major in Physiological Science because I'm very interested in Physiology, but I only know of like 2 schools in CA with a Physio Sci major. So I'm trying to decide between an Immunology/Mircobio/Genetics major or a Neuroscience/Neurbio major. I think the brain is fascinating and everything, but I would rather study physio because it encompasses all the systems. Imm/Microbio/Genetics would also be interesting. Anybody have any experience with these majors? What are your thoughts?

PS: I'm not majoring in bio sci because I think it'll help my chances in med school. I am actually very interested in this stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

I like my bio degree because I was able to take all the above classes, plus a whole lot more. If I could do it all over again, I think I'd go the straight up bio route again. With that said, majoring in Immunology sounds very interesting to me and would be something I'd consider. If it wouldn't restrict me, and I could still take other classes like evolution, A&P, spanish, etc...I'd probably do it. Do you like genetics, immunology, and microbiology? You might want to take these classes before you decide to major in them. They will probably count for whatever science related degree you decide to pursue. Major in whatever you find the most interesting. The more you like it, the more likely you will do well in it.

bpost137 said:
I'll be transferring to a university soon, and I'm trying to decide what I'll major in. Ideally, I would prefer to major in Physiological Science because I'm very interested in Physiology, but I only know of like 2 schools in CA with a Physio Sci major. So I'm trying to decide between an Immunology/Mircobio/Genetics major or a Neuroscience/Neurbio major. I think the brain is fascinating and everything, but I would rather study physio because it encompasses all the systems. Imm/Microbio/Genetics would also be interesting. Anybody have any experience with these majors? What are your thoughts?

PS: I'm not majoring in bio sci because I think it'll help my chances in med school. I am actually very interested in this stuff.
ARE you transferring to a UC?

Members don't see this ad :)
bpost137 said:

I'm a microbio major and I love it! I'm currently taking immunology which is really interesting. Lately we have been talking about the immune system responses to AIDS and cancer... pretty cool stuff and definitely relates to medicine. I also did a little over a year of microbio. research that I learned a lot from.

Only drawbacks of micro: most of the micro. classes are A LOT of memorizing. I enjoy problem-solving, so having to straight-up memorize for 3 micro. classes at once is kinda tedious sometimes.