Immunology Q

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by BodybldgDoc, Mar 29, 2007.

1. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Which is it?

Monoclonal antibodies are most closely associated with
    a.hybridomas
    b.leukocytes
    c.neutrophils
    d.eosinophils
    e.interferons

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dannylee718

dannylee718 The Village Idiot
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  4. Lonely Sol

Lonely Sol cowgoesmoo fan!
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Hey, I have no idea how I know this, but i read up on this looong time ago. The correct answer is A, Hybridomas. The reason being is because:

First, think about what monoclonal antibodies are?, they are multiple copies of the same antibodies produce by plasma cell after it has been dected by Helper-T-cell. The most closely related is hybridomas because they are basically genetically engineered antibodies that are same. Basically, hybridomas, you will see they are identical just like monoclonal antibodies but genetical engineered.

*Hope this helps, I might be wrong, plz correct me if I am wrong!

5. DentalKitty

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You are right as usual! I got this from searching the net:
    "With a steady supply of proper nutrition, hybridomas multiply and secrete monoclonal antibodies."

6. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

thanks, also since you brought up helper T cells, I was wondering whats the function of the supressor T cells and how is their role different from helper T cells? The book I was reading just mentions it without going into any detail. If you give me like a broad sense of whats its function is and how it carries it out, that would be great.

7. Buttscratcher

Buttscratcher Sugar Munster
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Wow! It's like a textbook explaination...can I borrow your brain on the day of the test?

8. Lonely Sol

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well from what I know, suppressor T cells are used by immune system to reduce the effect that B-cell and T cells have on the antigen. It is basically used when there are no more antigen present in the system, and there is no need for production of B and T cells.

However, they some instances where supressor T cells (aka regulatory supressor) that are injected into a person when they get an organ transplant to reduce the prod. of B and T cells, which might attack the organ since it is foreign. These is one of the other tactics used besides matching the MHC complex of the donor and reciepient.

9. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

awesome. good info. thanx sol :)

10. Lonely Sol

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    You welcome! You guys help me with my questions, just returning the favor!
    Sorry couldnt explain ti like this earler, I had to go to class and just didnt have time to type this out but here it is, maybe this might help:

ANyways, for this question, you dont need to know what hybridomas mean to figure out the answer. First, we can see the question is asking basically, what producing humoral reponse and only one thing of the same type?

You can see that C and D, is not it because they are produced because of Non-humurol response by leukocytes. There fore, it leaves with A, B, and E. B cant be it because it doesn't produce one thing but rather, different things (granule cells and agranual cells, related with non-humoral response). Same with E, it is related with non-humurol

My explanation probably sucks, but basically to summ it up, there are asking which produces humoral response, (since anti-bodies is humoral). Therefore, B-E are out since all are non-humoral!

(I am sorry if this is confusing but I am not a good explanar):D :D

11. Immuno-guy

Immuno-guy Member
    2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    A hybridoma is a non-physiological cell. They are made in the lab by the 'dehydration' of a cancerous cell line in close proximity to a plasma cell in 'HAT' medium, which is then carefully selected for and grown. Once generated never die as they are from a cancerous cell line. They are of enormous benefit in research and - since 1996 (Infliximab) - medicine.

T-helper cells are highly important in the elicitation of an effective immune response to extra cellular antigens - namely those presented on MHCII. This is achieved primarily via the production of cytokines, such as IFN's.

However, unwarrented immune responses are dampened by T-regulatory (T-regs) cells in the periphery. This is just one of the four key methods employed by the body to minimize autoreactivity. T-regs (autologous of course!) have been proposed to minimize immune responses to transplants.

T-suppressor cells were a subset of cell proposed to exist in the 1970's, but the concept fell appart after further research revealed the data to be misleading. Seiminal work in 1995 by Sakaguchi et al. lead to the rebirth of this population under the moniker T-regulatory cells. They have since proved to have huge physiological significance.
    Eg. T-regs have been shown to inhibit natural anti-cancer efforts in a number of different cancers.

The body is always trying to balance immune surveillance with defense.

Hope this helps solidify the reasons behind the correct answer.

Any more immunology questions?

12. Lonely Sol

10+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

Really good explanation!

13. 997GT3

997GT3 There is no substitute.
    10+ Year Member

Dental Student
    from where did you get this question ?

14. BodybldgDoc