Impact Factor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sup3rnova

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is something I have been curious about for a while. My PI stresses the importance of IF when selecting journals and publishing work. I appreciate the importance of high IF, but what does it mean for students? Does IF matter when it comes to apply to a MD or a MD/PhD program? Say, are a handful of publications (~ IF 5) greater than one of ~IF 15+?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it is more important to be able to competently discuss your research publications and your role in their related projects than the journal IF at this point in your career. In the grand scheme of things, one IF 15+ publication will probably not eclipse your GPA and MCAT, unless it is in the caliber of Science or Nature, or something like that. Even then, I think med schools will be more interested in seeing how well you understand the scientific process by asking you specific questions about your projects. Same goes for MD/PhD programs I would imagine, since some programs do not even require a publication, but rather just a strong research experience.

Do not worry too much about impact factor at this point.

As a personal example, I have a few publications, two of which are in IF 10+ journals. It certainly does not feel that these have made me significantly better off than some of my friends who did not have such publications AND were equally, if not more, successful med school applicants.

Also keep in mind that IF varies for different fields. In structural bio and protein biochemistry work, for example, most mid-tier journals IF falls around 3-6 (i.e. protein sciences, proteins, jbcs) to Structures. Biophysics is a bit on the lower end too. In genetics and other fields, however, I believe IFs are generally higher.
Some ppl stress the importance of IFs, but I think this definitely depends on which fields an IF of 4 can be considered low in one field but medium in other.

Members don't see this ad :)
IF is like an epeen meter. Its a subjective way to compare journals, specifically the quality of them. Prior to med school, the IF doesn't matter since such a small portion of people actually publish. If you are in grad school or doing quality research in residency, IF is a little more important as it opens doors into assistant professorships.

With electronic age and the ability to get any journal at any point in time IF is becoming less of a factor. Certainly if you can publish in Nature go for it, but many professors would rather have less of a struggle to publish in a 3-6 IF rather than a 15. Publishing in nature can takes months to years of revisions, proofs, and repeating experiments.

I'd echo kamikaze: Impact factor is meaningless without knowing the field. You will actually find niche fields where the premier journal has an impact factor around 1, because their articles don't get cited very much (because it's a niche field), but the authors are all distinguished researchers.

I'd aim for an average-or-better IF for the field in question. But there are exceptions:

1. I always prefer to publish in a society's official journal if I can over some journal that exists but I can't tie it to an organization. Society journals usually have better distribution, sometimes a paper subscription is included in society membership, so then you have people receiving a paper journal every month and they look at the table of contents to see if there's anything that catches their eye.
2. Even within a field, you'll find that groups of researchers will tend to publish in particular journals that they just seem to like for whatever reason. If your field is not cut-throat, aim for these journals. The editor-in-chief will be more likely to send your article to a reviewer who understands your work and might actually make helpful comments.
In the end, submit to the best journal that you think might actually publish your work. Aiming too high can delay publication. Aiming too low doesn't necessarily speed it up.

Reactions: 1 user