Impact of multiple failed pre-clerkships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, further update! Coming up on the end of my third year now and have still successfully passed every clerkship (with Honors in one elective course and great evals, but satisfactory (passing) grades). Getting ready to take Step 2 in a month or so. PM&R seems to be it for me, and I'm super excited to do an away rotation this summer in it! Trying to stay positive!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, further update! Coming up on the end of my third year now and have still successfully passed every clerkship (with Honors in one elective course and great evals, but satisfactory (passing) grades). Getting ready to take Step 2 in a month or so. PM&R seems to be it for me, and I'm super excited to do an away rotation this summer in it! Trying to stay positive!

Haven't updated in a minute. Scored in the 230s for Step 2 CK, got honors in my PM&R rotations, and did well in neuro. Scheduled for CS in October. I got a single residency interview lined up so far, but I know it's pretty early in the game. Hopefully hear back from more. I wish all the best to everyone else in the same boat!

Reactions: 6 users
Haven't updated in a minute. Scored in the 230s for Step 2 CK, got honors in my PM&R rotations, and did well in neuro. Scheduled for CS in October. I got a single residency interview lined up so far, but I know it's pretty early in the game. Hopefully hear back from more. I wish all the best to everyone else in the same boat!

Well done - congrats to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nope. US MD with Step scores at, or slightly above the average for psych, no red flags other than a late-ish CK score (I’ve read all my LORs and MSPE), strong interest in psych demonstrated prior to, and during med school, applied to 42-44 programs with no major geographic limitations, and am sitting at 3 IIs and several waitlist in the middle of Dec...

How'd the rest of your psych application season go?

Congratulations!

If I may ask, what did you do to fail pre-clerkships?

Congratulations!

If I may ask, what did you do to fail pre-clerkships?

Thanks! I just had a hard time finding a plan of attack that worked well for me (having so many resources to choose from, not knowing my best learning modes, etc). After the middle of my 2nd year, things started to click, I found what worked for me (everyone has their own style of learning) and I haven't had any problems since.

How'd the rest of your psych application season go?
Only had those 3 interviews and matched at my #2 rank, which was tied with my #1. Both programs were towards the top of my list prior to interviewing. I’m still baffled at how lucky I got and beyond thankful to be at an awesome, supportive, and chill program with great attendings and co-residents.

Reactions: 2 users
Only had those 3 interviews and matched at my #2 rank, which was tied with my #1. Both programs were towards the top of my list prior to interviewing. I’m still baffled at how lucky I got and beyond thankful to be at an awesome, supportive, and chill program with great attendings and co-residents.

I'm so happy to hear that! That made my day. Congrats, Taddy!

Reactions: 1 user

Glad that worked out for you - I wonder if there was a bad letter in there or something? That’s very unusual with the stats you are giving to get such few interviews

Glad to hear it worked out for you, although it is a bit worrying to hear given that I have a similiar app (233 step 1, 238 step 2, no red flags ect). Unless you can think of a reason that you received so few interviews, I might be tempted to throw a 3-4 "safety" apps onto my stack of 38.

Glad that worked out for you - I wonder if there was a bad letter in there or something? That’s very unusual with the stats you are giving to get such few interviews
I honestly don’t know. As mentioned above I read all of my LORs prior to uploading them. I’m convinced it came down to a combo of LOA (again, not for academic, legal, or medical issues), late Step 2 CK (2° to LOA), and very few people going into psych from where I went to med school over the past 10 years (something like 15-17, with over 10 going to the home program, which I didn’t apply to). I know my med school has a track record of screwing-up MSPEs (e.g., uploading the wrong student or mixing-up students’ info between letters), so that’s a possibility but I don’t know if that was the case in my situation.

I honestly don’t know. As mentioned above I read all of my LORs prior to uploading them. I’m convinced it came down to a combo of LOA (again, not for academic, legal, or medical issues), late Step 2 CK (2° to LOA), and very few people going into psych from where I went to med school over the past 10 years (something like 15-17, with over 10 going to the home program, which I didn’t apply to). I know my med school has a track record of screwing-up MSPEs (e.g., uploading the wrong student or mixing-up students’ info between letters), so that’s a possibility but I don’t know if that was the case in my situation.
Interesting. I had many psych interviews but didn't match. internal had open seats in the SOAP and psych practically did not. There are simply so many more total seats for Internal.

Also, Psych certainly is getting more competitive even relative to other fields.

Morning, everyone!

I know some of you have been following this thread now for a little while, and I just wanted to let you know that this week I MATCHED INTO PM&R! I could not be happier! So there you have it - the ultimate question to this thread answered: what IS the impact of multiple failed pre-clerkships? Assuming you don't fail anything further, get good scores on Step 1 and 2 CK and pass CS, get good evals and LORs, you really CAN get into an awesome residency in the specialty of your choice. Keep your head up and your hopes high, and go team physiatry!

Reactions: 8 users