M3 Preclinical Failure Impact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syndonium

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there's been some threads on this subject already, but I just started M3 and am worried about matching to mid-competitive programs like DR or Neuro. I have no clue what I want to do at this point in M3 but those are some more competitive specialties that are a maybe.

I failed my preclinical neuro block then passed on remediation. Worst part is I passed the exam and failed the course by 1 point the first go around, then I killed the remediation exam but the grade of course is just a F/P so nobody sees that. Still waiting for STEP 1 but hopefully that's a Pass. I failed that block due to very radical life circumstances, my dean actually recommended I take a LOA during that block because of how messed up the situation was (situation not my fault according to everyone, but I was suicidal, depressed, in/out of the hospital at the time) but I stuck out the rest of 2nd year and I've passed everything after now heading into clerkship (woohoo!).

I was reassured plenty of people at my school have failed a preclinical course and matched into competitive specialties. I just don't have any time for research really (if it was required I'd probably have to take a research year) but my biggest thing is I don't have a good idea how to tell my story during interviews. I had to go to counseling, get police involved at one point, the stuff was just devastating at the time and outside my control. Let's say it's complicated and I'm not comfortable talking about it in general, let alone explaining why I failed Neuro yet it ended up being a subject I have great interest in now. For people who have been in complex personal situations that negatively impacted their performance how did you explain this? And what do you think my chances are? It's pretty disheartening to think I may find I love X specialty in clerkships but have to give up on doing that because of a blemished past.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
I know there's been some threads on this subject already, but I just started M3 and am worried about matching to mid-competitive programs like DR or Neuro. I have no clue what I want to do at this point in M3 but those are some more competitive specialties that are a maybe.

I failed my preclinical neuro block then passed on remediation. Worst part is I passed the exam and failed the course by 1 point the first go around, then I killed the remediation exam but the grade of course is just a F/P so nobody sees that. Still waiting for STEP 1 but hopefully that's a Pass. I failed that block due to very radical life circumstances, my dean actually recommended I take a LOA during that block because of how messed up the situation was (situation not my fault according to everyone, but I was suicidal, depressed, in/out of the hospital at the time) but I stuck out the rest of 2nd year and I've passed everything after now heading into clerkship (woohoo!).

I was reassured plenty of people at my school have failed a preclinical course and matched into competitive specialties. I just don't have any time for research really (if it was required I'd probably have to take a research year) but my biggest thing is I don't have a good idea how to tell my story during interviews. I had to go to counseling, get police involved at one point, the stuff was just devastating at the time and outside my control. Let's say it's complicated and I'm not comfortable talking about it in general, let alone explaining why I failed Neuro yet it ended up being a subject I have great interest in now. For people who have been in complex personal situations that negatively impacted their performance how did you explain this? And what do you think my chances are? It's pretty disheartening to think I may find I love X specialty in clerkships but have to give up on doing that because of a blemished past.

I would look at your clinical grades and step 2 before determining how competitive you are. If you can manage to get some honors during 3rd year and get a good step 2 score I don't see why failing one pre-clinical class would hinder you. Failing your class, getting all passes on your clinical rotations, and getting a below average score on step 2 will hinder you. just my 2 cents.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah so long as you have a pulse and the police weren’t there to take YOU away, neuro should be fairly easy. When the time comes, find out exactly what info will go to programs and then figure out how to spin it.

My gut says to keep it generic - just say you underestimated the material and had some challenging life circumstances and struggled to catch up in time. If your clinical scores and steps are good, then they may see the preclinical failure as a fluke. Preclinical students get broadsided by neuro all the time. I’d keep the drama out of the story if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 user