Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Importance of MCAT Writing Sample Score (a low score)

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by bounce22, Nov 21, 2005.

1. bounce22

bounce22 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys, my first post here. I was wondering if anybody had any experience or advice about how heavily med schools emphasize the writing sample score from the mcat. I took the MCAT in august and received a 36L. I'm a little worried :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Sweetlill1

Sweetlill1 Dr. Dre
    7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I have an M and it has never been mentioned in my interviews... I have been told that my MCAT score was good... Overall I have a 30.

4. ti89

ti89 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as your personal statement and essays for the schools are well written they will see that you know how to write.

5. gdbaby

gdbaby Prettier than before
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Bounce, I would look at that L as an acronym for "Lordy, with a 36, I'm going to med school!"

6. Long Dong

Long Dong My middle name is Duc.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I got the same numerical mcat score but a M on the written and like the other poster said it was never issue. You have nothing to worry about.

7. bounce22

bounce22 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Thanks a lot for your input. I feel a lot better :) . I can definitely say my secondary essays are not "L" material and hopefully that will get me through.

8. hobbesiscool

hobbesiscool Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Bounce 22, don't be worried at all!. Do you know how insignificant that L is next to a 36? I got an 8 in VR and I got accepted to a top tier school, so it they definitely look at more than just one section of your MCAT or whatever.

9. silas2642

silas2642 silas2642
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

That's a great score. Don't worry about the writing, because no one cares. Seriously, as long as you wrote a ps that isn't full of grammatical errors, is relatively coherent, and shows why you want to go into medicine, I'm sure you're golden. Hey, I'd take your score over mine anyday!!

10. Emergency!

Emergency! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    You'll be fine. I had a M. It was never mentioned once. I was accepted at all five schools I applied to.

11. 10yearmedic

10yearmedic Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I recieved an L too. In my case I am guessing it was a legibility issue. The graders probably didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to decipher my chicken scratch. I am still debating if it's worth the $50 to have it rescored. I am just filling my secondaries out now, so I don't know if it will be an issue or not.

12. Will Ferrell

Will Ferrell Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Yea, writing scores don't matter. It's a pain having to explain this to family members who saw my score report. They all think I "failed" the MCATs with a 37N. lol

13. rocketman

rocketman Member
    5+ Year Member

I received an 'E' on the writing sample. I think that's like the worst you can do.

14. bounce22

bounce22 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I think it might be a legibility issue too (lazy graders :rolleyes: ), 10yearmedic, and I actually did request the AAMC to rescore my test. The worst part is, it apparently takes 60 days for them to rescore and get it back to you. I called twice. They send it out to some company to look at it again, and all through the process, they're clueless as to its status. So, even requesting a rescore on the day scores came out (for us aug-mcaters and which I did do), that would be an ETA of mid-december. From fellow SDN'ers, though, it doesn't look like med schools care about the WS score. :)

15. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    An E? I thought the scale was from J-T for some reason.

16. blkkd

blkkd Electrically relaxing
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It definetly goes from J-T i think the kid with the E is hallucinating...

And don't worry about the writing sample I was always told it doesn't matter so I didn't even put any effort into it even though I somehow got an R...