Importance of MCAT Writing Sample Score (a low score)

bounce22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Hey guys, my first post here. I was wondering if anybody had any experience or advice about how heavily med schools emphasize the writing sample score from the mcat. I took the MCAT in august and received a 36L. I'm a little worried :(

Sweetlill1

Dr. Dre
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 25, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
I have an M and it has never been mentioned in my interviews... I have been told that my MCAT score was good... Overall I have a 30.

ti89

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2004
Status
I'm sure it doesn't matter as long as your personal statement and essays for the schools are well written they will see that you know how to write.

About the Ads

gdbaby

Prettier than before
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Bounce, I would look at that L as an acronym for "Lordy, with a 36, I'm going to med school!"

Long Dong

My middle name is Duc.
10+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2004
The Best Coast
Status
Attending Physician
bounce22 said:
Hey guys, my first post here. I was wondering if anybody had any experience or advice about how heavily med schools emphasize the writing sample score from the mcat. I took the MCAT in august and received a 36L. I'm a little worried :(
I got the same numerical mcat score but a M on the written and like the other poster said it was never issue. You have nothing to worry about.

bounce22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks a lot for your input. I feel a lot better :) . I can definitely say my secondary essays are not "L" material and hopefully that will get me through.

hobbesiscool

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
Status
bounce22 said:
Thanks a lot for your input. I feel a lot better :) . I can definitely say my secondary essays are not "L" material and hopefully that will get me through.
Bounce 22, don't be worried at all!. Do you know how insignificant that L is next to a 36? I got an 8 in VR and I got accepted to a top tier school, so it they definitely look at more than just one section of your MCAT or whatever.

silas2642

silas2642
10+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bounce22 said:

That's a great score. Don't worry about the writing, because no one cares. Seriously, as long as you wrote a ps that isn't full of grammatical errors, is relatively coherent, and shows why you want to go into medicine, I'm sure you're golden. Hey, I'd take your score over mine anyday!!

Emergency!

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2004
Michigan
Status
Attending Physician
You'll be fine. I had a M. It was never mentioned once. I was accepted at all five schools I applied to.

10yearmedic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2005
Status
Medical Student
I recieved an L too. In my case I am guessing it was a legibility issue. The graders probably didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to decipher my chicken scratch. I am still debating if it's worth the $50 to have it rescored. I am just filling my secondaries out now, so I don't know if it will be an issue or not.

Will Ferrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 19, 2004
Status
Yea, writing scores don't matter. It's a pain having to explain this to family members who saw my score report. They all think I "failed" the MCATs with a 37N. lol

rocketman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Will Ferrell said:
Yea, writing scores don't matter. It's a pain having to explain this to family members who saw my score report. They all think I "failed" the MCATs with a 37N. lol
I received an 'E' on the writing sample. I think that's like the worst you can do.

bounce22

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2005
Illinois
Status
Pre-Medical
10yearmedic said:
I recieved an L too. In my case I am guessing it was a legibility issue. The graders probably didn't want to spend a lot of time trying to decipher my chicken scratch. I am still debating if it's worth the $50 to have it rescored. I am just filling my secondaries out now, so I don't know if it will be an issue or not.
I think it might be a legibility issue too (lazy graders :rolleyes: ), 10yearmedic, and I actually did request the AAMC to rescore my test. The worst part is, it apparently takes 60 days for them to rescore and get it back to you. I called twice. They send it out to some company to look at it again, and all through the process, they're clueless as to its status. So, even requesting a rescore on the day scores came out (for us aug-mcaters and which I did do), that would be an ETA of mid-december. From fellow SDN'ers, though, it doesn't look like med schools care about the WS score. :)

tulane06

Private Joker
10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
An E? I thought the scale was from J-T for some reason.

blkkd

Electrically relaxing
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
Status
Medical Student
tulane06 said:
An E? I thought the scale was from J-T for some reason.
It definetly goes from J-T i think the kid with the E is hallucinating...

And don't worry about the writing sample I was always told it doesn't matter so I didn't even put any effort into it even though I somehow got an R...

About the Ads