importance of publications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hi there

I was wondering if any of you know how important publications are in order to be considered into path (AP/CP combined)..especially the competitive programs (California). I'm currently doing research for a year and will be planning on entering the match next year (2005). There's a 95% chance that I won't have any publications/abstracts by the time I have to apply, although I have the reseach experience, and would be able to talk about it during the application process.

I'm asking this, because I may have the opportunity to work after-hours in another lab doing a quick retrospective study which may have higher potential of being submitted to a conference...but I would rather not go through all that if it isn't necessary!!

thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

caffeinegirl said:
I was wondering if any of you know how important publications are in order to be considered into path (AP/CP combined)..especially the competitive programs (California). I'm currently doing research for a year and will be planning on entering the match next year (2005)....I'm asking this, because I may have the opportunity to work after-hours in another lab doing a quick retrospective study which may have higher potential of being submitted to a conference...but I would rather not go through all that if it isn't necessary!!
I gave you a karma point for asking!

It's all a rich tapestry (the application process, that is). As I have said before, someone with a well rounded application and an interest in path will probably do a lot better in terms of matching than someone with one outstanding part of their app (like a good board score or publications).

Obviously, publications do not hurt. In my opinion, the act of doing research and committing to that for a year is probably more significant than having a publication. Do the extra work if you want and it interests you, don't do it for the sole sake of getting a publication on your cv.

I did have a publication on my cv, at least one that was submitted, hadn't been accepted by the time the application time rolled around. A publication shows programs that you have the ability to look at something in detail, dedicate the time to it, and follow through.

There are no hard and fast rules, other than that an interest in the field is important to be a successful candidate. Research and publications can often help demonstrate this, but so can letters of rec, personal statement, and a good interview. I think sometimes people tend to overestimate things on CVs which, while they may seem important, really don't mean a whole lot in isolation. People with heavy research and lots of publications are often good candidates in other areas as well. That being said, though, like I said it can't hurt you.

Interest in the field, however, seems to be paramount.
Good luck!

thanks yaah!!
It helps a lot to know your perspective, especially since you've just survived the match process (and done so well too!). It's hard to geige the requirements in path, especially because the quality of the applicant pool has changes so much in the past couple of years. You try to wonder..how competitive should I be?
well your answer to this any many other such threads helps a lot

thanks again!