Importance of research abstract presentations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twintiger32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How important is presenting your research at research conferences? I'll be participating at Western (in carmel) this February, and will probably submit an abstract to ARVO as well. Is this highly encouraged? Is the next step up basically a publication? I'm a second year trying to balance research w/ all of my studies...ARVO is end of april/early may, which is somewhat close to when I'll be taking my Step 1...should I try to make ARVO a priority or is it not necessary?

Sam
MSII

Members don't see this ad.

twintiger32 said:
How important is presenting your research at research conferences? I'll be participating at Western (in carmel) this February, and will probably submit an abstract to ARVO as well. Is this highly encouraged? Is the next step up basically a publication? I'm a second year trying to balance research w/ all of my studies...ARVO is end of april/early may, which is somewhat close to when I'll be taking my Step 1...should I try to make ARVO a priority or is it not necessary?

Sam
MSII

From what I have been told, an ARVO poster is a highly valuable addition to one's application. Regardless of your application though, it is a fantastic experience. If you have the opportunity to go, don't pass it up.

ARVO will look good, but make sure you have you step 1 in order first.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the responses.

How about if I go as a second author? Is first authorship really important (i will more than likely be the first author on a publication, but not on this poster presentation)?