Interview offers vs completed - which one is more important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whoa It's Peter

It's a 'Tron Special'
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hypothetically, which is a better predictor for success in matching to residency or fellowship?

1) % of interviews offered from the pool of programs applied [i.e. You apply to 20 programs and get 10 offers = 50%; higher the percentage, higher the chances - does 2nd round interview offers matter?]

2) # of interviews you actually attend and complete [last I heard, magic number is 8 for residency. Is it still 8 for fellowships too???]

Discuss!

Members don't see this ad.

According to article published in 2012, magic number for residency is 10-11 I thought. That gives you a 95% chance of matching or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

According to article published in 2012, magic number for residency is 10-11 I thought. That gives you a 95% chance of matching or something like that.

I wonder if that applies to fellowships

Hmmm.... depends on the fellowship, right?

1) How many people do they interview for a single retina position compared to how many people do they interview for a spot in residency

2) it's not truly a 1/10 chance or a 1/15 chance that you will obtain a spot as not all applicants are created equal... but technically most people if they fit into the bell curve, yes it's a 1/10-1/15 chance.