Importance of shadowing various specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

thus far have accumulated long term shadowing experiences with a DO family physician and an MD family physician. Also short 4 hours each with cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon. Do I need more long term hours with other specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

thus far have accumulated long term shadowing experiences with a DO family physician and an MD family physician. Also short 4 hours each with cardiologist and orthopedic surgeon. Do I need more long term hours with other specialties?
No. You have a good mix as you are, assuming this included office-based longitudinal care.

Reactions: 1 user
If you have consistently been shadowing with those docs and have a decent # of hours, I personally think you have sufficient exposure to what being a doctor entails. Shadowing isn't meant to be some magic number...its supposed to tell you what being a doctor is like. Could you explain to someone what a doctor does and why you want to do it? If you can, you likely have enough hours and enough to elaborate on in your AMCAS.