Importance of third year honors for matching gas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caveat87

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

MS3 here possibly interested in gas based on a love of pharm/physio, some great shadowing experiences I had last year, and an overall interest in ICU/critical care medicine on my IM rotation.

My question for you all is just how important are honors grades in third year clerkships for matching in anesthesia? My school does a H/HP/P/LP/F system and my first couple of rotations (medicine, neuro, peds) ranged from pass to high pass.

The good news is step 1 went well (>250) and I might be getting involved with some ICU research this year, but will "average" performance this year bury my chances to match at well respected programs? I ideally would like to end up in NYC or another major suburban area.

PS: My intention here is not to troll, but to get an idea so I can make reasonable career goals. I know MS3 grades are weighed more heavily by some specialties than others.

Thanks!

Clarification: By well-respected, I mean programs that offer a great variety of cases, have good fellowship/professional placements

Members don't see this ad.

more honors the better. surgery and medicine probably the most important. there are lots of people who get great interviews without good grades, though, in fact many programs send out their invites before the dean's letter comes out.

a lot of the ivory tower programs send out their first round of interviews before the dean's letter, and only aoa folks get them. then they send a lot more out to the non-aoa people after the dean's letter, but it's nice to have it in the bag early on and grades could help with that.

a good step 1, some research and good letters will carry you far, but there are no guarantees in the match so just do a good job and give yourself every advantage you can get.