WAMC for matching this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RocLee

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
URM, US MD at T20, no red flags
Step 1: First time pass
Step 2: 250

Preclinical: (P/F) All Pass
Clinical Grades: All HP, but clinically 75% were honors
Research: 4 pubs, one first author and anesthesia related
Volunteering: Soup kitchen volunteer, minority mentoring
Good LORs

Anyone have any ideas for what programs to target?

(The stickied WAMC thread seemed dead, so I apologize in advance for creating this thread)

Members don't see this ad.

Dang has it really gotten this competitive? I'm a graduating CA-3 and you would have gotten into any program you wanted back then.

Reactions: 2 users
I guess we’ll see how competitive it is when the next charting outcomes comes out, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here had some recent experience and could tell me how competitive I was. I feel like what people are saying about the competitiveness online is a little overblown, but who knows

Members don't see this ad :)
I guess we’ll see how competitive it is when the next charting outcomes comes out, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here had some recent experience and could tell me how competitive I was. I feel like what people are saying about the competitiveness online is a little overblown, but who knows
Recent exp will likely have to be someone from this cycle or the last cause even 2 years ago it was not this competitive/people were not as neurotic or concerned with your stats

Recent exp will likely have to be someone from this cycle or the last cause even 2 years ago it was not this competitive/people were not as neurotic or concerned with your stats
It seems there was a bit of a spike in competitiveness in this most recent match. There were quite a few candidates who were competitive on paper yet went unmatched. Perhaps they didn’t interview well. Always tougher on Zoom to really get to know a person, IMO.
It’s competitive enough that people who may be considered a risk with interpersonal skills despite being good on paper may get passed over by a few programs. All candidates (especially if they went unmatched) should have a trusted advisor/friend who will help them identify blind spots so they can understand and actively work on those. I was probably 40 before I recognized a few of mine. They are still there, but I know about it now and can actually address it in real time, when needed.

Reactions: 1 users
The competitiveness is getting crazy. When I applied you just needed a pulse and less than 5 red flags.

Reactions: 1 user
It’s gotta be the money. Compared to when some of us finished and 400k was considered a good job now they got starting offers in the mid Fives. It’s gotta be the money cuz God knows I would rather be in the bed than doing a damn CSection right now!!

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users