Importance of Undergrad Reputation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PhysicsDoc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
<Disclaimer> I know there have been numerous threads posted on this topic before, but I don't think one has been done with respect to MSTP admissions only...

How much weight does the undergraduate school you come from hold in the MSTP admissions process? I've heard varying things... ie, only your GPA/MCAT matter if they're high enough, having a prolific PI is paramount, etc.; I was wondering if anyone could offer me some clarification (and perhaps some examples) as to just how important a factor academic reputation truly is.

[If it's of any use, I'm personally coming from a state school... Univ. of Arizona]

Members don't see this ad.

Infer what you will from the following stats:

Race: Caucasian
AMCAS GPA: 3.6
AMCAS BCPM GPA: 3.5
MCAT: 32 (11/11/10)
Research: 2 years as a post-bacc at NIH
Undergraduate Institution: University of Alaska Fairbanks

Accepted to University of Alabama MSTP

I definitely think that a degree from UArizona will give you a slightly more competitive edge than I had.

Members don't see this ad :)
frick said:
<Disclaimer>
[If it's of any use, I'm personally coming from a state school... Univ. of Arizona]

That is a good school. You shouldn't worry about it.

Reputation does matter. I go to a smaller university from a very small state(North Dakota). At interviews I often got questions like "Tell me about North Dakota" or "why is your research model livestock?" In the end though, I don't think it matters as much as scores, GPA, and personality.

Here are my stats
MCAT: 31
GPA: 4.0
Majors: Zoology and Biotechnology
Publications: 2 (Biology of Reproduction) plus numerous presentations
Research experience: 6 years

I also have volunteer experience, am involved in extracurriculars like band, and some national scholarships.

I applied for 22 schools. I had five interviews (Stanford, UCONN, University of Cincinnati, University of Iowa, University of Minnesota), and was accepted at two schools (University of Connecticut and University of Minnesota).

That's my story...
Good Luck!