Important Info for new Accessions - GI Bill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This post is meant as an FYI as I wanted to share my experience with this and a little known fact for those that are eligible.

I served my 4 years of active duty as a flight surgeon, after completing my internship year. After serving my 4 years AD, I went back into Anesthesiology and used the Montgomery GI bill for the 3 years of residency. This provided a stipend of roughly 1564/month. While in residency, I had to go onto the WAVE program and confirm my enrollment for the previous month in order to get paid.

After I completed residency, I decided to go into a 1 year Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology fellowship. The rule is once all of the Montgomery GI Bill benefits are used up (36 months worth), you are then eligible for an additional 12 months of the post-9/11 GI Bill. The reverse does not hold true, meaning that I could not use the post-9/11 first and then switch to the MGIB. The post-9/11 pays you book stipend and a housing allowance base off where your training program is located.

The transition between MGIB to the post-9/11 GI bill was not complicated. However, I did have to make sure that the fellowship (like the residency) was under the approved training program list. This can be found at http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do

If anybody has any questions, please PM me and I will try to help out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I've read every post in the thread, but I'm still confused. Maybe if I lay out my situation, then someone can enlighten me.

-4-year ROTC scholarship, commissioned after 9/11/01
-Spent 4 years on an educational delay (IRR) in medical school - did not do HPSP
-Did my internship and residency on active duty (5 years)
-Currently paying back my time (4 years)
-Will do a 1-year fellowship at a civilian university after separating

I have zero recollection of ever even having a conversation about the MGIB, so I'm pretty confident I never bought in, but I also don't recall declining enrollment either.

So, am I even eligible to use my benefits (BAH) during my fellowship? Is there any utility in trying to enroll in the MGIB by claiming improper (or nonexistent) counseling?

Thanks!

I'm still confused why at least two years of HPSP time during medical school would not count towards the 6 year Armed Forces service requirement for transferring Post-9/11 GI Bill to dependents.

By the end of MS-II/start of MS-III, you'll have the aggregate 90 days AD required for the benefit. My understanding is that HPSP students, when not on active duty, are in the "training pipeline (non-deployable account)" sub-category of the Selected Reserves. So the last two years of medical school should count towards the required six years of active duty or SELRES service.

Therefore, it seems like you should be able to initiate the transfer 4 years after med school graduation, which may or may not require additional time beyond the original ADSO (depending on the length of residency).

Can anyone confirm/deny this is true?

Attachments

• Transferability Eligibility Final as of June 26.doc
    38 KB · Views: 72
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The HPSP is an IRR program, not SelRes

Thanks - that clears it up. I was under the impression that IRR only refers to the remaining time after the service requirement. Guess not.

LOL. This concept is taking me a while to wrap my head around. There should be a concise "how to" on this topic given to every military medical student. It is that important.

-Based on recent numbers given on the VA website...the Montgomery GI Bill current nets $1748 per month for 36 months (after deducting cost of purchase/kicker).
-The Post-911 nets E5 with dependents BAH for 36 months plus $1000 per year for book expenses
-Every servicemember is eligible for Post-911 GI Bill, whereas, the MGIB requires buy-in/kicker and not everyone is eligible (USUHS, ROTC).
-If you have never declined the MGIB (form DD 2366), you can get the paperwork initiated through your education department and/or PSD. If you have declined the MGIB (form DD 2366) and later want it, you have to contest that you were given "incorrect counseling". If you are unsure of your DD 2366 status, request it from PSD.
-You have the ability to get Post-911 for 12 months after the 36 months of the MGIB is exhausted, but not visa vera.
-You can transfer Post-911 benefits to your children, but you have to serve 6 years, then agree to four additional years (HPSP does not count toward years).

Those who would benefit from the Montgomery GI Bill include:
-when E5 w/ dependent BAH of the program is less than $1748 for a 3-yr residency
-when E5 w/ dependent BAH of the program is similar to slightly more than $1748, but more than 3-yr of residency or fellowship are in the plan

Those who would benefit from the Post-911 GI Bill include:
-those who lack eligibility for MGIB (USUHS, etc)
-when E5 w/ dependent BAH of the program is more than $1748 (much of the west coast, expensive east coast towns, Miami, Chicago) for a 3-yr residency
-when a servicemember plans on spending at least 10 years in the military with dependents

Let me know if I have an error.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
PSD= pay people

Supposedly all you have to do is write a memo asserting that you were "incorrectly counseled" on the GI Bill when you entered (as just about every MC accession is), and you will be allowed to catch up on the missed contributions.

My entire OIS class of 200+ entering HPSPs was explicitly told to opt out of the GI Bill because the Navy was already paying for our education, and that we'd never be able to collect benefits. I'm sure the Navy is quite used to exiting physicians discovering that they were misinformed.

I don't know who that memo goes to, who has to endorse it, or what else needs to be done - but I remember a couple of GMOs telling me they were making lump sum contributions to catch up, and that they'd be collecting benefits as civilian residents.

Remember though, you were "incorrectly counseled" and/or it was a "clerical error" ... you didn't just "change your mind" about it. :)

Has anybody successfully contested this?

As is the case with your class, I was miscounseled and would like to get these benefits if possible. I have about 9 months left on active duty.

I just recently did this and had no problems once I figured out the process. It was updated in my ESR the next day. Previously, I had tried to apply for transferability, but was denied until I had the page 13 entry done at PSD and entered into my electronic service record.

I don't know if you're still around, but if you are . . .thank you for this great post, was very informative. Question for you or any one else reading: Once you've gone to PSD and updated your ESR with this Page 13 Entry, where in your ESR would you find it? In other words, where would you look to make sure that it's there? (screenshot of the ESR menu attached) ESR Snapshot.jpg

The Page 13 isn't the issue. If you don't have a page 13, you won't have an approved transfer letter in milconnect (that is the document that matters). You find it under education benefits in milconnect.

The Page 13 isn't the issue. If you don't have a page 13, you won't have an approved transfer letter in milconnect (that is the document that matters). You find it under education benefits in milconnect.
Ok. So I go to PSD, get them to make me a Page-13, which gets submitted into my ESR in NSIPS. Does Milconnect talk to NSIPS automatically?

So then a few days later, in the Milconnect-->Transfer of Education Benefits , I should see notation of a approved transfer letter? Then I can do the transfer?

I think you go get the Page 13 and then just do the transfer a couple days later. They somehow verify the existence of the page 13 and the transfer gets approved.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if you're still around, but if you are . . .thank you for this great post, was very informative. Question for you or any one else reading: Once you've gone to PSD and updated your ESR with this Page 13 Entry, where in your ESR would you find it? In other words, where would you look to make sure that it's there? (screenshot of the ESR menu attached) View attachment 192703
To answer my own question: you should see the addition in the 'Administrative Remarks' section. Every command has a CPC (command professional counselor, or something) that knows how to do this. He/she submits to the local PSD mainhub, someone there then makes the entry into NSIPS. (I went straight to the PSD mainhub this morning to get it done . . . they were rather annoyed that I skipped my command's incompetent PS1 . . . oh well, but I stood over them until they got it done. It showed up in my ESR instantaneously).

LOL. This concept is taking me a while to wrap my head around. There should be a concise "how to" on this topic given to every military medical student. It is that important.

-Based on recent numbers given on the VA website...the Montgomery GI Bill current nets $1748 per month for 36 months (after deducting cost of purchase/kicker).
-The Post-911 nets E5 with dependents BAH for 36 months plus $1000 per year for book expenses
-Every servicemember is eligible for Post-911 GI Bill, whereas, the MGIB requires buy-in/kicker and not everyone is eligible (USUHS, ROTC).
-If you have never declined the MGIB (form DD 2366), you can get the paperwork initiated through your education department and/or PSD. If you have declined the MGIB (form DD 2366) and later want it, you have to contest that you were given "incorrect counseling". If you are unsure of your DD 2366 status, request it from PSD.
-You have the ability to get Post-911 for 12 months after the 36 months of the MGIB is exhausted, but not visa vera.
-You can transfer Post-911 benefits to your children, but you have to serve 6 years, then agree to four additional years (HPSP does not count toward years).

Those who would benefit from the Montgomery GI Bill include:
-when E5 w/ dependent BAH of the program is less than $1748 for a 3-yr residency
-when E5 w/ dependent BAH of the program is similar to slightly more than $1748, but more than 3-yr of residency or fellowship are in the plan

Those who would benefit from the Post-911 GI Bill include:
-those who lack eligibility for MGIB (USUHS, etc)
-when E5 w/ dependent BAH of the program is more than $1748 (much of the west coast, expensive east coast towns, Miami, Chicago) for a 3-yr residency
-when a servicemember plans on spending at least 10 years in the military with dependents

Let me know if I have an error.

@pgg

Does the above look like the appropriate strategy. I like many others were given horrible advise in ODS...being told "Your already a doctor, there wouldn't be any other reason to the MGIB...it's a waste of your money." Wrong!

I would appreciate any help with people who have already gone through this process.

Collecting GI Bill Benefits for Residency and/or Fellowship
Understanding your benefits may reward you over $60,000 toward civilian residency/fellowship or your dependent’s education.

Montgomery GI Bill
Inclusion

No USUSH or service academy grads; HPSP ok

Benefits
As of October 1, 2015: $1789/month x 36 months and $150/month x 36 months (for "buy-up program"); NET: $1889/month

Cost

$1200 plus $600 for "buy-up program"; Benefits above are AFTER costs

Who may it benefit?
>3 yr training planned (residency/fellowship); When benefits are better than Post-911

Post-911 GIB
Inclusion

Every service member who has served over 3 years after 09/10/2011; otherwise prorated

Benefits
Residency’s BAH for E5 with dependents for 36 months plus; $1000/year for books

Cost
None

Who may it benefit?
3yr training planned in area with high BAH; Planning on spending >9 years active duty

IMPORTANT FACTOIDS
-Enrollment for Montgomery GI Bill costs $1200 and currently pays out $1648/month for 36 months for full-time institutional training. Note that you when you sign up ensure that it is for “Full-time institutional training” and not for “apprenticeship or on-the-job training.” The difference is hundreds of dollars per month. It is usually automatically deducted from your monthly paycheck in increments of $120 per month for a year. If you have less than a year left on your commitment when you sign-up, the difference will typically be taken out as a lump sum of your final paycheck. Request The “Buy-up program” (DD-2366-1) when you sign for the Montgomery GI Bill. It costs $600 but rewards you $150/month over the course of 36 months. That is a $4800 net gain. In total, currently the Montgomery GI Bill would reward you $64,128 tax free over 3 years. Soften the blow for a reduced civilian residency salary? You bet!
-Most will benefit more from the Montgomery GI Bill due to the payout being higher (except for those attending residency/fellowship with high BAH). Note that this is true for residency and fellowship but NOT medical school and undergrad. This is because the Post-911 also cuts a check to your school for tuition, but since you don’t pay tuition for residency/fellowship you don’t gain that benefit.
-If you exhaust your Montgomery GI Bill and still have remaining training (4th year of residency/fellowship), you can fill out paperwork to have 12-months of the Post-911 GI Bill (Active Duty Chapter 30). This is not true of the opposite.
-You can hand your post-911 GI Bill benefits to a dependent, but you have to serve 6 years, and then agree to sign on for four additional years. The paperwork for the transfer of benefits has to be at the time of the four year extension. Timing is important. You can’t transfer Montgomery GI Bill benefits to dependents. HPSP does NOT count toward years served.

How to sign-up for the Montgomery GI Bill
STEP 1. Find out your DD-2366 status
-If you have accepted the Montgomery GI Bill on your DD-2366, ensure that the $1200 deduction and $600 “buy-up program” was made on your LES
-If you have declined Montgomery GI Bill benefits on your DD-2366 because, like me, you were told that you unable to use the benefits on furthering your education, contest on the basis that you were given “incorrect counseling”. To do this you must go to the “Board of Correction of Naval Records” website at http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/career/recordsmanagement/Pages/BCNR.aspx. You then Download, fill out, and submit the DD Form 149 to the Board of Correction of Naval Records with the addresses provided on the form. I have been told that you do not need this on command letterhead. The process can take up to a year to play out, so I recommend doing this ASAP and keeping in touch with the Board to ensure it gets done. After the findings on the DD-2366 have been reversed, go to PSD/education department and initiate process for Montgomery GI Bill
-If you don’t know if you accepted or declined the Montgomery GI Bill on the DD-2366, go to PSD and request it. Then use the appropriate step above.

STEP 2. Get accepted into residency/fellowship.

STEP 3a. If you believe that the MGIB will give you a better payout than the Post-911, sign-up through PSD (VA FORM 22-1990).

STEP 3b. Ensure that your residency/fellowship is registered with the VA for GI Bill benefits. Search using: http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do. If your program is not listed, you will need to get it registered. The search results will include both the post-911 GI Bill benefit per month, as well as your program’s “certifying official’s” name.

STEP 4. Upon signing your residency/fellowship contract, also have your program’s “certifying official” to complete your paperwork. This paperwork will need to be repeated every year you get your benefits.

STEP 5. Enroll to VA W.A.V.E. website, which tracks your benefits. https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do. You will have to visit the website every month and confirm that you still are enrolled to your program. Once you do, you will get your paycheck from the US Treasury about a week later.

How to sign-up for the Post-911 GI Bill
STEP 1. Get accepted into residency/fellowship.

STEP 2a. If you believe that the Post-911 GIB will give you a better payout than the MGIB or not eligible for MGIB, sign-up through PSD (VA FORM 22-1990).

STEP 2b. Ensure that your residency/fellowship is registered with the VA for GI Bill benefits. Search using: http://inquiry.vba.va.gov/weamspub/buildSearchInstitutionCriteria.do. If your program is not listed, you will need to get it registered. The search results will include both the post-911 GI Bill benefit per month, as well as your program’s “certifying official’s” name.

STEP 3. Upon signing your residency/fellowship contract, also have your program’s “certifying official” to complete your paperwork. This paperwork will need to be repeated every year you get your benefits.

STEP 4. Enroll to VA W.A.V.E. website, which tracks your benefits. https://www.gibill.va.gov/wave/index.do. You will have to visit the website every month and confirm that you still are enrolled to your program. Once you do, you will get your paycheck from the US Treasury about a week later.

For more details I would recommend going to:
http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/
http://whitecoatinvestor.com/using-the-gi-bill-to-boost-residency-pay-guest-post-military-physician-series/
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/important-info-for-new-accessions-gi-bill.485739/

Reactions: 2 users
I contested my Montgomery GI Bill benefits in June and just got a letter from the Board of Corrections of Naval Record yesterday telling me that I am now eligible to buy-in to MGIB.

Instead of under-utilizing your GI-BILL Benefits (normally they pay >18K, books, plus E5 housing allowance and you can pass all that benefit to spouse or children), you could take advantage of the TMS (Training in Medical Specialty) Program. This is a RESERVE Program that pays you $2,188-$2,673 per month during Residencies in Critical Medical Specialties. You do not Drill, and you are protected from deployment until you complete your full residency. You also qualify for $50K LRP (LOAN REPAYMENT PROGRAM). You will incure a 6 year SELRES commitment for a 3 year residency. Plus, remember that your HPSP years can count for retirement as well. Please let me if you would like additional information. Here is the link for your reference. http://www.vr59.com/assets/resper-m-1001_5.pdf I am the NAVY RESERVE MEDICAL RECRUITER out of Washington, DC.

Attachments

• TMS Program Policy 2011.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 128
  • RESPERMAN_TMS_pages_113-116[1].pdf
    586.8 KB · Views: 75
Oh look a new recruiter. First lie in the first sentence. You can only transfer your GIB benefits if you meet longevity criteria that most premeds don't come close to meeting.

Reactions: 1 user
Reserves only as an incentive for certain specialties and doesn't apply to USUHS.
OK ... thought our new recruiter was trying to tell us that HPSP years count toward retirement longevity pay.

USUHS grads get the med school years back when it comes to the reitirement multiplier (i.e. the Y x 2.5% of high 3), but they don't count toward eligibility. Thanks to DOPMA. (I'll still take that extra % when my day comes though, of course.)

Just a warning...when submitting your request for GIB on E-benefits/VOL, ensure that you have all proper documentation to submit. If you have a receipt of your purchase, attach it. If you have the DD-2366 on hardcopy...also attach that as a file as well. If you don't, the VA will come back to you a month or so requesting that you submit the paperwork. It will probably eventually get done...but it will be a delay.

Is there a time limit on when someone can appeal due to the fact they were improperly counselled? And can the benefit be applied retrospectively?

I just discovered this issue. I was in an intern in the Navy in 1990-91 and was told to decline my benefits to receive an extra $100 in pay and that they GI bill wouldn't do me any good since I was "done with school". Subsequently I completed a civilian anesthesia residency but never knew I could have used benefits for this.

It's now 20+ years since I separated. Am I S.O.L.?

Is there a time limit on when someone can appeal due to the fact they were improperly counselled? And can the benefit be applied retrospectively?

I just discovered this issue. I was in an intern in the Navy in 1990-91 and was told to decline my benefits to receive an extra $100 in pay and that they GI bill wouldn't do me any good since I was "done with school". Subsequently I completed a civilian anesthesia residency but never knew I could have used benefits for this.

It's now 20+ years since I separated. Am I S.O.L.?

I think the likelihood of them giving you MGIB benefits after being out of the military is slim to none. The reason is because you have to be able to sign-up for MGIB after they give you the eligibility to sign up. You can't sign for MGIB benefits if you are a civilian. But there is only one way to know. Give it a shot.

Anybody else's school trying to not recertify you for your MGIB because a residency is not "degree seeking"? I am a PGY3 and have been getting MGIB since I started residency. The verifying people here are telling me they have a letter from VA saying they can't recertify residents or fellows now and I can no longer receive my benefit. Anybody getting this?

Anybody else's school trying to not recertify you for your MGIB because a residency is not "degree seeking"? I am a PGY3 and have been getting MGIB since I started residency. The verifying people here are telling me they have a letter from VA saying they can't recertify residents or fellows now and I can no longer receive my benefit. Anybody getting this?

Post this same message as a post on the main military forum. I'm getting the MGIB right now. We need as many people to weigh in as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My fellowship hospital just certified all GME for the GI Bill, so either the person at the VA handling their paperwork didn't get the memo, or your program is working with someone at the VA who is making up rules.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

At what point in the process do you opt in or out of MGIB? I'm on HPSP, and would like to know when I'll see this form so I can opt in.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm considering getting a masters after completion of residency. When I finish my residency this June I will have exhausted all three years of Montgomery GI Bill. From what I understand, I could be eligible for an additional year of post-9/11 GI Bill that could be put toward my masters. Has anyone every done the Montgomery GI Bill to Post-911 GI Bill transition on this site? If I get the year of post-911 GI Bill will I need to use it immediately or could I wait a semester or two to get it started? Since I would plan on doing online classes, I would assume I wouldn't get BAH, which is fine. I just would love to have the first year of a two year program paid for.

Thanks.

milconnect is surprisingly helpful and informative. It should show you what you have or do not have. If not, the people there will know the question to your answer. All transitions/transfers I did through there were pretty painless although mine was for MGIB -> Post-9/11 for dependent transferability.

Regarding buying into MGIB late:

This is very important, so I think it’s worthwhile updating this old thread. Years ago, myself and others have been successful in contesting our own Naval records which allowed use to purchase Montgomery GI Bill benefits after our internship on the grounds of incorrect counsel.

Well...the loophole is essentially being closed. I’ve spoke with three people over the last year who have attempted to do the same after being accepted to civilian residencies...and all are struggling significantly to contest their record. They have reached had to reach out to JAG, and are still struggling. It appears that PERS is requiring objective data as proof. They are requiring a written statement from a commanding officer of the command that provided incorrect counseling (good luck with that). JAG has also been asking for service members to reach out to colleagues that heard the incorrect counsel and are willing to go on record (also asking a ton).

Bottomline...young physicians entering HPSP need to know that YES, you can use MGIB benefits for residency. You should buy in if there is even a REMOTE chance of one day doing training outside of the military. For Navy personnel, it’s very wise to do so. Worst case scenario is you lose $1200 which is chump change compared to what you’d be losing if you use P911GIB instead of MGIB for the mass majority of training programs in the country.

Because I'm a glutton for punishment, I'm considering getting a masters after completion of residency. When I finish my residency this June I will have exhausted all three years of Montgomery GI Bill. From what I understand, I could be eligible for an additional year of post-9/11 GI Bill that could be put toward my masters. Has anyone every done the Montgomery GI Bill to Post-911 GI Bill transition on this site? If I get the year of post-911 GI Bill will I need to use it immediately or could I wait a semester or two to get it started? Since I would plan on doing online classes, I would assume I wouldn't get BAH, which is fine. I just would love to have the first year of a two year program paid for.

Thanks.
Did you have any luck doing this? Applying for civillian Anesthesiology residency this cycle and hoping to use 36 month of MGIB and then use Post-9/11 GI bill for the remaining 12 months.

They just told us at the separation seminar that we can, but I thought that the VA put a stop to this.

Did you have any luck doing this? Applying for civillian Anesthesiology residency this cycle and hoping to use 36 month of MGIB and then use Post-9/11 GI bill for the remaining 12 months.

They just told us at the separation seminar that we can, but I thought that the VA put a stop to this.

I haven’t attempted it yet. But from what I hear, it is still possible.

If you paid in to MGIB pretty sure you can still use some of your MGIB and then opt in to post 9/11 for any remaining months. But understand that 36 months of GI bill benefits is equivalent to a standard 4 year education since it calculated for in-semester time only. So if you use 36 months of MGIB that exhausts your full GI bill benefits

If you paid in to MGIB pretty sure you can still use some of your MGIB and then opt in to post 9/11 for any remaining months. But understand that 36 months of GI bill benefits is equivalent to a standard 4 year education since it calculated for in-semester time only. So if you use 36 months of MGIB that exhausts your full GI bill benefits

I was under the impression that you can apply for a year of P911GIB after exhausting MGIB.

Interesting plot development. I called the VA today to figure out if I was eligible to get a year of P911GIB after exhausting MGIB/buy-up program. Customer service was very nice and helpful as usual...which is very surprising considering that it's the VA...but they are actually very good in this department.

Well, I learned that SOMEHOW, I still have about a month and a half left on my MGIB benefit. So I'd have to exhaust the rest of that time before applying for eligibility for P911GIB. The good thing is that the pay out is much better on MGIB than P911GIB most places (including mine), but the downside is that I won't know about my eligibility until after I am in training. Also, if I attend a different program than my previous program, I would have to submit a form (22-1995) to allow me to transfer benefits. So there there will likely be one if not two delays. But the very nice customer service lady said that they would reimburse retroactively. She also said that though she cannot determine eligibility over the phone, that there have been those that have exhausted their MGIB and received a year P911GIB in the past.

Last edited:
Bottomline...young physicians entering HPSP need to know that YES, you can use MGIB benefits for residency. You should buy in if there is even a REMOTE chance of one day doing training outside of the military. For Navy personnel, it’s very wise to do so. Worst case scenario is you lose $1200 which is chump change compared to what you’d be losing if you use P911GIB instead of MGIB for the mass majority of training programs in the country.
I think that's true, unless you either will be training in a high cost of living area (as I believe P911GIB gives you E5 BAH), or you have a kid that you plan on transferring benefits to (as I think by the time that kid grows up to use it for college, it'll probably be worth a lot more).

But again, I only think that's true. Haven't done the footwork/math myself..

I think that's true, unless you either will be training in a high cost of living area (as I believe P911GIB gives you E5 BAH), or you have a kid that you plan on transferring benefits to (as I think by the time that kid grows up to use it for college, it'll probably be worth a lot more).

But again, I only think that's true. Haven't done the footwork/math myself..

You are correct that you could potentially do better by going with P911GIB instead of MGIB in his COL places. But the problem is that few people KNOW exactly where they will be doing their training 4-6 years in the future.

Let look at the possible outcomes here:

1) Servicemember does a GMO tour and GTFO, and bought in Montgomery GI Bill
a) he/she matches to a high COL situation such as NYC. He/she uses P911GIB for residency. After completing P911GIB, he/she can get a refund on the $1200 for MGIB. Or let's say they do a >3 year program (such as surgery or a fellowship), he/she can apply for a year of MGIB after completely the P911GIB.
b) he/she matches to an average COL situation, such as the significant majority of residencies in the country. He/she uses MGIB and banks significantly more than using P911GIB.

2) Servicemember does a GMO tour and GTFO, and didn't buy into Montgomery GI Bill
a) he/she matches to a high COL situation such as NYC. He/she uses P911GIB for residency. However, if he/she decides to spend more than 3 years in training, he/she would lose the opportunity to get MGIB after completing P911GIB.
b) he/she matches to an average COL situation, such as the significant majority of residencies in the country. He/she uses P911GIB because he/she doesn't have any other options, and loses $$$ over the course of residency because of the decision to not buy in to MGIB.

I personally think that Montgomery GI Bill is incredible insurance well worth the cost of buying in. There may be a chance you can be down $1200-1800 but in the grand scheme of things...that's really nothing.

They sent me an autoreply type email. I submitted a request through FOIAonline with the following request:

"I need record of:
1) my submitted DD-149 (appealing medical record of declining Montgomery GI Bill on ground of inaccurate counseling)
2) the DD Form 149 decision letter from the Board for Correction of Naval record to myself
3) my submitted DD-2366"