Important: Info regarding "Official DAT scores"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SSD1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have read multiple posts across the threads about the schools needing official DAT scores.

Just wanted to clarify a few things for everyone.

1. Most schools DO NOT need the official score reports from ADA anymore. I called Columbia and Detroit Mercy this morning and was told that the new service provided by AADSAS is considered "official score reports". So they said they don't need the official score reports anymore from ADA because AADSAS seals them in a envelope and sends them to schools. I was told this by Columbia, Buffaolo, Detroit Mercy, Michigan, and Indiana.

2. ADA still DOES send the official DAT score reports to schools.

Thank you! Hope this helps everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Uconn has now been added onto the list of schools not requiring the scores from ADA.

They said they will accept the ones from AADSAS.

It is still necessary to pay for the scores to be RELEASED by AADSAS. Essentially when you pay 25 bucks to ADA, they send an electronic copy to the school of your choice AND authorization of AADSAS to release the scores to the school as well. If it matters, I talked to a Cathy when I called ADA yesterday...

Members don't see this ad :)
OK THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I called about 8 schools and they all told me that they can get my scores from AADSAS and that they don't need an official score report from ADA. Just to test the waters, I told them that when I took the DAT, I didn't designate their school as one of the schools to receive a report. They told me that it's ok and as long as I apply to their school through AADSAS, they have access to it.

So THEN I called AADSAS and they told me that the scores are received electronically but that the schools I apply to on AADSAS must MATCH the schools I designated with ADA when I took the DAT. If not, they can't see my scores. When I told her that the dental schools have been telling me otherwise, she said 'well if you're comfortable with that, you can leave it. Or you can call ADA and have them send the 'okay to release' to us". SERIOUSLY? They shouldn't be giving applicants the option to either pay $25 to ADA or to be 'comfortable' with not doing so. They should have the right answer and that answer should match with the dental schools and with ADA.

To top it all off, I called ADA and they told me to call back on the 29th because the person who answers those testing questions is out of the office. ahhhhhhhh sorry guys I'm just so frustrated right now!

UGH
Just in case anyone wants to know, pay that $25 per school. I just finished talking to a very rude representative from the ADA who literally yelled at me that I need to. I just don't understand why they're so snappy and mean :(

Anyway, I guess there goes another couple hundred for something so ridiculous.

Good luck guys!

so, if your school designation list does not match that when you registered for DAT, then any new schools you add will not receive your scores?

this is confusing

OK THIS IS DRIVING ME CRAZY!

I called about 8 schools and they all told me that they can get my scores from AADSAS and that they don't need an official score report from ADA. Just to test the waters, I told them that when I took the DAT, I didn't designate their school as one of the schools to receive a report. They told me that it's ok and as long as I apply to their school through AADSAS, they have access to it.

So THEN I called AADSAS and they told me that the scores are received electronically but that the schools I apply to on AADSAS must MATCH the schools I designated with ADA when I took the DAT. If not, they can't see my scores. When I told her that the dental schools have been telling me otherwise, she said 'well if you're comfortable with that, you can leave it. Or you can call ADA and have them send the 'okay to release' to us". SERIOUSLY? They shouldn't be giving applicants the option to either pay $25 to ADA or to be 'comfortable' with not doing so. They should have the right answer and that answer should match with the dental schools and with ADA.

To top it all off, I called ADA and they told me to call back on the 29th because the person who answers those testing questions is out of the office. ahhhhhhhh sorry guys I'm just so frustrated right now!

UGH
Just in case anyone wants to know, pay that $25 per school. I just finished talking to a very rude representative from the ADA who literally yelled at me that I need to. I just don't understand why they're so snappy and mean :(

Anyway, I guess there goes another couple hundred for something so ridiculous.

Good luck guys!

B/c they have hundreds of students who call and ask them the same thing. I'm sure some of those students are pretty rude as well. So I'm sure they're just upset about that.

B/c they have hundreds of students who call and ask them the same thing. I'm sure some of those students are pretty rude as well. So I'm sure they're just upset about that.

I know but I always try to be really nice to them because I know a lot of students aren't so nice. I ask them how they're doing and everything. She literally just snapped at me and yelled. I wanted so badly to yell back at her but I figured yeah, she has to respond to sooo many people right now.

AADSAS told me everything needs to match. Basically, if you don't let ADA release your scores to a certain school, that school will have access to your application but they won't see your scores. I know it's so weird because you would think that by applying to the school, you're already allowing them to see your scores...

I don't think some of the representatives know the correct answer...
ADA simply just wants to make money...

this is right from AADSAS website
"When you register for the DAT, you are encouraged to indicate the dental schools where you would like your scores to be sent. This will ensure that each of these schools can receive your DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association, in addition to your scores being reported through ADEA AADSAS. We realize that when you sign up for the DAT, you may not have decided which dental schools you will be applying to. As long as you have indicated at least one ADEA AADSAS-participating dental school in your DAT registration, your official DAT scores will be imported into your ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS includes your official DAT scores in your application that is sent to every dental school you have designated in your ADEA AADSAS application"

You do NOT need to send your DAT to individual schools. Two years ago this was the case, but since the last application cycle (including the current cycle) all out need to do is submit your AADSAS application, and then the schools that you've listed on you application will receive your scores.

I called AADSAS and they say they will send my DAT scores to dental schools (I didn't pay ADA). However, they mention that this may not fulfill what the schools want since schools may still want the official DAT scores. (then we need to pay ADA to send official DAT scores).
I took my DAT on June, 2010 and I check that aadsas already recevied my DAT scores.

What I've taken away from this whole series of posts is that no one really knows the answer. Applying for dental school is kind of like gambling...

DAT Scores Imported Directly into ADEA AADSAS Application
Applicants no longer self-report DAT scores in their ADEA AADSAS application. ADEA AADSAS will obtain your official DAT scores directly from the American Dental Association’s Testing Services Center and will import them directly into your application. If you take the DAT after your ADEA AADSAS application has been sent to your designated dental schools, an updated application, reflecting your DAT scores will be forwarded to schools just as soon as the scores are received.

http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Applicants/Pages/What'sNewofADEAAADSAS.aspx

A few days ago, I called Cindy from ADA directly. This is basically what she told me:

Scores are automatically sent to AADSAS as long as you selected an AADSAS participating school. I took my DAT June 1, and she told me that DAT scores will be sent out depending on when you took your DAT. She said based on when I took my DAT, my DAT scores wouldn't be sent to AADSAS until around June 14 (which was yesterday). I believe they do it electronically.

In regards to those who are doing TMDSAS as well... same thing applies. As long as you chose one of the Texas schools, you are good to go. My DAT scores were uploaded to my TMDSAS application yesterday. I'm still waiting on my AADSAS application.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that there are CERTAIN SCHOOLS that REQUIRE official scores from ADA. In other words, they want their own hard copy or electronic copy directly from the ADA and the AADSAS scores won't be enough for them. This is where the $25 fee comes into play. You have to check with each school's requirements to find out which schools require this.

I called a few schools and they said the DAT scores sent by AADSAS would suffice.

Would you mind telling us which ones still need the official DAT scores from ADA?

Thanks

I took my DAT December 2010 but I didn't check off any schools. Would it suffice to send an official score report to one school to have my scores released?

I don't understand why everyone is confused. When you take the DAT, check off every school you think you MIGHT even apply to.

I don't understand why everyone is confused. When you take the DAT, check off every school you think you MIGHT even apply to.

Unfortunately, some people applied for the DAT during their old method of only having the option of choosing 5 schools for free. I, too, was a victim and I registered to take the DAT not that long ago (July of 2010) :D Nowadays, you can choose as many as you want for free, but for the greater registration fee.

Well, glad to know that there is SOME kind of purpose to the whole $25 per school thing and that ADA isn't just scamming us....although the lack of clarity for the whole thing is pretty sketchy.