This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaliya

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Application for 2024 Opened!

Dear future SHPEP applicant,

My name is Jaliya Deandrade and I am an ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. I have assisted many people in their application process to SHPEP, and aim to gain as many people interested in the program as possible. I participated in the program summer of 2022 at the Columbia University site as a pre-dental student, and had an amazing experience.

SHPEP is a free summer enrichment program that allows pre-health students to discover their interests in several of the health professions, such as dentistry, medicine nursing, optometry, physical therapy, and more! There are several program sites throughout the country that help students develop and prepare students for their matriculation in their future health profession. SHPEP began in 1989 and has over 30,000 students that have completed the program, and have a great success outcome as 65% of scholars who apply to dental or medical school are accepted.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the application process with fellow applicants, and ask for any help. All are welcome! If you have any questions regarding anything about SHPEP that I am not online to answer to, you are always welcome to email me personally at [email protected].

Lastly, if I have assisted you in any way that was of help, please let SHPEP know! You can do so by the referral question in the personal information section of the application where it asks "How did you learn about the program", and can write my full name Jaliya Deandrade.

Best of luck to all applicants!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Application for 2024 Opened!

Dear future SHPEP applicant,

My name is Jaliya Deandrade and I am an ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. I have assisted many people in their application process to SHPEP, and aim to gain as many people interested in the program as possible. I participated in the program summer of 2022 at the Columbia University site as a pre-dental student, and had an amazing experience.

SHPEP is a free summer enrichment program that allows pre-health students to discover their interests in several of the health professions, such as dentistry, medicine nursing, optometry, physical therapy, and more! There are several program sites throughout the country that help students develop and prepare students for their matriculation in their future health profession. SHPEP began in 1989 and has over 30,000 students that have completed the program, and have a great success outcome as 65% of scholars who apply to dental or medical school are accepted.

Feel free to use this thread to discuss the application process with fellow applicants, and ask for any help. All are welcome! If you have any questions regarding anything about SHPEP that I am not online to answer to, you are always welcome to email me personally at [email protected].

Lastly, if I have assisted you in any way that was of help, please let SHPEP know! You can do so by the referral question in the personal information section of the application where it asks "How did you learn about the program", and can write my full name Jaliya Deandrade.

Best of luck to all applicants!
Thank you.

Hello,

My name is Kyndal Poore and I am also an ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. I participated in the program this past summer at the Howard University site as a pre-medical student. I am also open to answering any SHPEP questions as I know I had a lot of questions when I was applying to the program. Please dont hesitate to email me at [email protected].

If I'm able to assist you, it'd be much appreciated if you referred me on the personal information section of the application where it asks "How did you learn about the program", and can write my full name Kyndal Poore.

Good luck on your applications :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you! As someone who worked with SHPEP before, I'm glad you all are here.

Application tips would be useful. How did you narrow down which program sites you preferred? How did geography play a role (close to home vs. a desired campus/school)? How would you suggest signaling your preferences or strong interest?

How seriously were the other professions represented or addressed? As a predental student, did you feel your interests were well-addressed? What about how the other professions were relevant to your career interests? (How did you connect PT with dentistry, for example?)

Does GPA matter after only 1 semester? Letters from high school teachers versus professors? Suggestions for those attending a CC (including career changers, older nontrads)?

Also I don't think we have an article on the SHPEP experience, especially after the rebrand and after COVID. Can you have any interested ambassadors reach out to me (DM) to draft an article on your collective experience? Multiple sites and Multiple professional interests that reflect the diversity of the SDN forum (vet, pharm, optometry, pod, etc.) highly desired.

Last edited:
For those that hadn't heard of the SHPEP program or debating whether or not to apply, it's totally worth it! I was a student in the program in 2011 and served as a tutor/mentor a few years afterwards while in dental school. One of my fondest memories was being in that program and making life-long friends.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

My name is Kyndal Poore and I am also an ambassador for the Summer Health Professions Education Program. I participated in the program this past summer at the Howard University site as a pre-medical student. I am also open to answering any SHPEP questions as I know I had a lot of questions when I was applying to the program. Please dont hesitate to email me at [email protected].

If I'm able to assist you, it'd be much appreciated if you referred me on the personal information section of the application where it asks "How did you learn about the program", and can write my full name Kyndal Poore.

Good luck on your applications :)
Hi Kyndal,
I’m Mia and I have a couple questions about Howard shpep. Were the first 2 weeks virtual for you? Were you able to stay at home and do the virtual program for the 2 weeks then travel to D.C or did you have to stay on Howard campus and complete the 2 weeks online? Basically I’m asking what did the 2 weeks virtual and 4 weeks consist of.
Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Would anyone be willing to read my personal statement and give some feedback?

As others have said, this is a great opportunity for anyone considering dental. I participated back in 2011 at UNMC and had an amazing time

Hello! For the personal statement, how important is it to directly write about the program (like what you want to gain from it and why it would be a good fit for you)? My draft right now only really has like stories to talk about why I want to pursue healthcare and character building experiences, more similar to a dental school personal statement. Do I need to explicitly talk about SHPEP? Thanks!

Hello! For the personal statement, how important is it to directly write about the program (like what you want to gain from it and why it would be a good fit for you)? My draft right now only really has like stories to talk about why I want to pursue healthcare and character building experiences, more similar to a dental school personal statement. Do I need to explicitly talk about SHPEP? Thanks!
You should be able to add 1-2 sentences tying in the things you've said with the things the program offers. Not necessary but makes it sound more tailored and less vague

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! I'm a current sophomore who is on the pre-PA track at the moment and I was hoping to figure out which school specifically has a pre-PA pathway program. I know that the University of Iowa has a PA program and I have been interested in the prospect of applying in the future. Could you provide more information in regards to this? Thanks in advance!!

Hi! I'm a current sophomore who is on the pre-PA track at the moment and I was hoping to figure out which school specifically has a pre-PA pathway program. I know that the University of Iowa has a PA program and I have been interested in the prospect of applying in the future. Could you provide more information in regards to this? Thanks in advance!!
Unfortunately no SHPEP sites cater to the pre-PA track. Although some schools have a pre-PA program like as you mentioned Iowa, SHPEP has yet to introduce the pathway as part of the program. I would try seeing if schools that do have a pre-pa program hold any summer programs like SHPEP, or if there are other pathways SHPEP offers that you would consider such as public health, medicine etc. Hopefully in the future we can see SHPEP introduce the pre-pa track to program sites!

I submitted my application and it is complete. However, my application shows a grey area on one of the three sites I chose. Does this appear on anyone else's application?

I am having difficulty with choosing which program sites to apply to. I am definitely applying to schools in my area, however, I am interested in SHPEP at UCLA. Do the program sites exercise in-state bias?

How strictly mandatory is it that a student has to be not over 60 units? As there is no limit to how many units you can input in the credit box

Do you think it means we are rejected or accepted? It has been showing on my UCLA site. Like it goes across the screen
i dont even know, for me it happened right when i submitted the application. thought maybe it means the site's alr filled

i dont even know, for me it happened right when i submitted the application. thought maybe it means the site's alr filled
Same it happened right after I submitted the application. Is it just showing up on one of your sites or all?

Waitlisted at Rutgers.
Rejected at Howard and UF. Is there anything i can do to increase my chances?

I got rejected at Howard, UCLA, and Texas. The action dates were so late like March 14th. Did anyone else have a late action date?

I am waitlisted at UAB (3/13) and Iowa (2/28) for their Dental programs. I was rejected by Texas (02/12). Does anyone know the chances of being accepted after being waitlisted?

For Dental, I got accepted at Western, waitlisted at University of Washington, and rejected at UCLA.

Apparently I have to confirm with Western before 03/17, but it doesn't make sense because waitlist results come out on 03/19. Does this mean I basically have to risk not going to SHPEP at all if I want to see what the result is for Washington?

For Dental, I got accepted at Western, waitlisted at University of Washington, and rejected at UCLA.

Apparently I have to confirm with Western before 03/17, but it doesn't make sense because waitlist results come out on 03/19. Does this mean I basically have to risk not going to SHPEP at all if I want to see what the result is for Washington?
yup. and I most definitely wouldn't take that risk. Western is goated, so accepting it is a no-brainer!

Waitlisted at Columbia, but accepted at Howard and UT Health Houston! LETS GOOOOO

yup. and I most definitely wouldn't take that risk. Western is goated, so accepting it is a no-brainer!
Aw man, that makes sense since they need to know who's not going but I wish there was another way.

And about Western--that's good to hear! I genuinely don't know much about the sites, I had to choose the ones that would work with my school because our finals week clashed with the schedule for a lot of other sites.

What makes you say that about Western? Are there differences in the sites? And congrats on your acceptance!

As others have said, this is a great opportunity for anyone considering dental. I participated back in 2011 at UNMC and had an amazing time
I got accepted to unmc dental 2024 :)
are there some things I should be prepared for this is kinda new to me!

• Love
Has anyone heard any updates about waitlists? Has anyone gotten off of the Columbia waitlist or has emailed/called them?

Anyone heard anything at all from Rutgers about the waitlists? Literally stressing

I got off the waitlist for The University of Iowa!! Does anyone have any tips or recommendations to start preparing for the program?

• Love
The admissions offices will coordinate your transition, and you should be hearing from student orgs and the dean of student affairs (or someone like that) on what to expect for a campus look weekend.

I accepted my spot at Howard but haven't received any information yet. Did anyone else send accept a spot at Howard?

Last edited: