important palm pilot programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys-

I'll be starting interniship in 2 days and was wondering what palm programs are an absolute must for the intern. ALso, is there a program in which you could put in the diagnosis and it would spit out the most common lab tests and procedures that should be ordered for it?

THanks and good luck to all in their intern year!

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like 5MCC would be of use to you.

THanks Doc...but what is 5MCC??? Is it the name of the program? Where would I be able to get it?

5MCC = 5 minute clinical consult

go to skyscape.com or do a google search

good luck!

-J

I am just a med student but these are the programs I use on a nearly daily basis.

5 Minute Clinical Consult
Epocrates
ABC Lab Data
Stedman's Dictionary

I also like Diagnosaurus. It gives a differential diagnosis based on a chief complaint. Really good when the nurse in the ER or outpatient clinic gives you the chief complaint and you need to get a quick focused h&p.

Which handheld do you guys recommend?

Dramkinola said:
Which handheld do you guys recommend?

Tungsten E or E2. Either is cheap and would suit your needs. Probably go with the E2 as it's newer, though.

drewpydog said:
Tungsten E or E2. Either is cheap and would suit your needs. Probably go with the E2 as it's newer, though.

If you are looking to take advantage of the wireless internet feature (which takes up tons of battery life), the E or E2 is not the one to get because it only has Bluetooth, not WiFi. The Tungsten C has the WiFi feature that would allow you to get online at and wireless internet hotspot, eg. hospital, library, starbucks, etc.

At our hospital you can have your palm programmed so that you can log into the hospital database and pull your patients' labs and stuff all from your palm. However, this is a new system and it cannot recognize any palm based pda's, only microsoft pocket pc. You may want to talk to the IT sept at your hospital to find out if you have these capabilities and they will recommend a good PDA.

Personally, I still like the palm based pda's much better than pocket [c because they are cheaper, easier to use, and it is much easier to find free software (legally or pirated) for palm.

So the Tungsten E2 doesn't have Wifi?
I thought you could get a Wifi card?
So i guess the C is better? How about the T5?
Palms don't have extra batteries, right?
This is confusing...