Important Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed315U

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning to apply for a Rhodes scholarship, and I am also applying for med school. If I win both (praying), can I defer med school for 2 years to study at Oxford?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to rain on your parade, but the longest deferment I've heard of is one year. I'm sure that it varies between schools, so you'd have to contact the school(s) you get into.

Why not just apply after you come back from England? As a Rhodes scholar, you could get into any med school you want.

I don't want to not apply for med school because what if I don't win Rhodes, which is also likely...

Has anyone heard of 2 year deferment for something important like this? For example, if I get into med schools and also win Rhodes, do you think they would allow me to defer? Or would I have to then reapply 2 years later to the same school(s) that I get into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey premed... even if you're a future president and perfect in every regard, your chances at winning Rhodes is one in a thousand... apply to med-school

i completely agree with 'smoke this'--i've never heard of a deferment longer than a year. and the thing is, not all schools will even offer this. some explicitly state that they won't allow deferments at all. nothing personal, but i don't think you'll get any special treatment as a rhodes scholar, because your reason for deferring is not necessarily any more 'important' than anyone else's.

if you apply to both and actually wind up a rhodes scholar, i would take that opportunity, because that's not something you can turn down. then you'll just have to reapply to med school in two years. chances are, if you were competitive enough to be accepted now, you'll only be *more* competitive with a rhodes scholarship under your belt, so i wouldn't worry about getting in the second time around.

good luck with whatever you decide.

personally I do know somebody who is deferring two years before she starts med school (at baylor). She had to give a significant reason and a semi-timeline though (she's trying to build a non-profit organization). i'm sure being a rhodes scholar would be a good enough reason to defer two years, and i seriously doubt that any med school would deny you that opportunity. they would probably be thrilled to have a rhodes scholar at their med school--pretty prestigious for the school ya know. good luck with your applications