Important Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformers

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if you change the resting membrane potential to -90mV, would that decrease, increase, or have no effect on the net movement of K+???

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if you change the resting membrane potential to -90mV, would that decrease, increase, or have no effect on the net movement of K+???

Thanks

Will one of our PA mods redirect this to MCAT Study please? I think you'll have better luck over there. Thanks!

regarding K+ movement, there are a couple of driving factors you'll want to consider.. the first being electrochemical gradient. with the interior of the cell more negative, more K+ will want to enter the cell. the other factor is if the K+ channels are voltage-dependent. I don't know that off the top of my head, so you'll have to look it up.

I typically consider the olfactory nerve the portion before it reaches the brain, then it's the tract as it continues more caudally within the brain matter. this is just the way I remember being taught it and may not be the correct way of distinguishing.