Impression Materials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HangOnSloopy

Your mom goes to college
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of Impression materials D-schools provide you with and expect you to grasp (and at what level). As a predent, Ive been working in a dental office and they let me goof around in the lab with alginate (and with a few tubes of the vinyl stuff), and ive found its so frustrating working with the quick-drying alginate. Finding the right balance of water and powder takes a lot of trial by error, but I'm getting better with more practice. I'd like to hear the experiences of dental students with this stuff. Do they make you use the quick-dry or do they give you the regular kind? And I realize its expected to be a very basic skill, but how are you evaluated on it?

Members don't see this ad.

HangOnSloopy said:
I was wondering what kind of Impression materials D-schools provide you with and expect you to grasp (and at what level). As a predent, Ive been working in a dental office and they let me goof around in the lab with alginate (and with a few tubes of the vinyl stuff), and ive found its so frustrating working with the quick-drying alginate. Finding the right balance of water and powder takes a lot of trial by error, but I'm getting better with more practice. I'd like to hear the experiences of dental students with this stuff. Do they make you use the quick-dry or do they give you the regular kind? And I realize its expected to be a very basic skill, but how are you evaluated on it?

1) I don't think working with alginate is *that* difficult. Matching the water/powder ratio to what is recommended by the manufacturer isn't too hard to do. Also, the colder the water the longer the set time, so cold water helps (really cold is even better).

2) Polyvinylsiloxane is pretty money stuff to use from the standpoint that it rebounds really well and it doesn't have to be poured the same day.

3) Most schools will provide you with the above impression materials, and perhaps some others depending on budget. Typically alginate is satisfactory for the types of things that are required. To what level must it be mastered? The answer to that depends on the quality of work you want to produce. Bubbles and voids are no-nos.

4) It also depends on how much lab work students are required to do. Some schools require students to do all of their work, others require only portions, and others have full labs on site to handle work.

HangOnSloopy said:
As a predent, Ive been working in a dental office and they let me goof around in the lab with alginate (and with a few tubes of the vinyl stuff), and ive found its so frustrating working with the quick-drying alginate. Finding the right balance of water and powder takes a lot of trial by error, but I'm getting better with more practice.

There should be no trial and error period for using alginate impression material. The ratio of water to powder is 1:1. One level scoop of powder to one measured line of water on the cup provided in the package. Unless you are using some sort of brand that does not use these standards, you should be mixing a perfect batch everytime! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was given a jar of alginate with the label ripped off, thats why I've had to eyeball it. I was taught to use about a scoop and a half of powder and to mix it with water straight from the tap (not measured). On monday I'll try to find a jar with directions on it. thanks.

Most times I don't measure the water for my alginates, that way i can control the consistency if I want it to set faster or slower. Once you get used to it you'll have a feel for what is the point to get going. For crown and other impressions we use Regiseal, a polyvinylsiloxane that is a very good impression material.