Improve my chances ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ayuka001

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a 3rd yr pharmacy student who just recently realized I would like to do a residency. Since I realized this pretty late my resume is probably not as good as others. So far I have the following:

Gpa: 3.4 -3.5 by end of 3rd yr
Volunteer at health fairs and free clinics
No club leadership position
1 leadership position for non profit health organization
2 posters at ashp, 1 at accp
Possible publication by end of year
Work at top 3 hospital since 1st yr
I chose all tough rotations for 4th yr
Solid references from work

Please let me know how I could improve my chances specifically since my gpa is not all that great ( I didn't focus on school much before I realized I wanted a residency)

Thanks everyone !!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are in good shape-

You have presented several posters, and will probably have a publication under your belt.
Work experience is paramount, and you've been there for a while now.
GPA could be better, but I would say it is more important for actually getting the interview, after that it is more about your personality and work ethic, etc.
Honestly, I didn't have club leadership positions either. Probably some institutions didn't like that, but I still managed to get a residency. If you see an opportunity to get more involved go for it.

I would focus on doing well on your rotations as you will want strong letters of rec from some of your clinical preceptors. Start thinking about what areas interest you and try to get experience in that area during rotations. Remember, your first few rotations (essentially the first half of the academic year) will be what you have under your belt when you go on residency interviews- so make them count. And that doesn't mean only having acute care rotations if you are interested in acute care- even having a challenging community rotation can give you great experience and a lot to talk about during interviews.
Lastly, don't stress. It's not too late. It's ok not to know you want to do residency until now. You will be just fine. Stay focused.