what can I do to improve my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just want to know what I can do to make myself stand out as an applicant for residency. My GPA keeps going down, but I'm gonna try and bring it back up. Easier said than done. Does being involved really make you stand out that much? I don't really care to join for any of the organizations at my school because they don't really do anything and I don't want to waste my time just going to meetings talking about nothing just so that I can put it on my resume. If you could go back and do it again, what would you do differently? I already have my eyes set on 2 places that I want to do my residency, one of them I worked there. The other one pays a little more, and I will do one of my rotations there also. I think it's nice to at least have 1 foot in the door, so that way I can talk to current residents about the program and see if I'd like the programs before making the big decision. I went to ASHP website, and for some weird reasons...I cannot click on any links and I visited that website a few times already and it never seems to work for me. Does anyone else have the same problem?

I will be in Florida for the mid-year meeting. What to expect? What to bring?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you learn something from being involved (for example, leadership skills and see what it means to be on a committee). I bet there should at least one organization that appeals to you somehow, and you don't need to hold a leadership position there. Being an active member can be as important as having some position.

You can also network and attend various meetings such as APHA as much as you can.

Maybe do some research, volunteering, or something else... Many pharmacy schools offer several opportunities for pharmacy students to stand out.

A low GPA and no activities is not going to make you stand out for residency. The simple fact is that there are plenty of candidates with high GPAs and with lots of involvement in the profession. Residency programs are getting more and more applicants and are becoming more competitive.

Bottom line...get involved in something to supplement your education. Volunteer in a clinic, work on a research project, or become active in a pharmacy organization. Get the GPA up too...that always helps.

At Midyear....most of the residency programs will have a booth set up where you can talk to the program directors and current residents. It is a good way to get the information needed to decide where to apply. Do your research ahead of time of where you might think you want to apply because you might not get a chance to visit all the booths during the residency showcase. Each program is only there for one of the three time slots. It can be overwhelming at first because there are so many programs and there will be tons of potential candidates walking around...but that is why you go in with a plan of who you want to talk to. You'll get the info of who will be there a few weeks before so you'll have time to plan.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks janeno and KARM12 for replying.

I'm trying to keep my GPA up to be around 3.5, but it just keeps going down. My school does provide a lot of volunteer opportunities for us and I do a lot of them. I also help teach a class at a small college. I am also in the curriculum committee and also a student adviser. But I'm just not involved in any student organizations. I'll try to be more active next year. I guess there are no other ways to help you stand out and if everybody is doing the same thing, then in the end, nobody really stands out except for their GPAs.

I finally was able to click on the links on ASHP website. I use firefox and for some strange reason, I can't click on any links on that site, but I tried Internet Explorer and I was able to use it. I found a lot of useful information there. I was so overwhelmed when I looked at the resident sites on ASHP's website last night. There are in fact so many programs and it's so hard to choose the right one.

Thanks janeno and KARM12 for replying.

I'm trying to keep my GPA up to be around 3.5, but it just keeps going down. My school does provide a lot of volunteer opportunities for us and I do a lot of them. I also help teach a class at a small college. I am also in the curriculum committee and also a student adviser. But I'm just not involved in any student organizations. I'll try to be more active next year. I guess there are no other ways to help you stand out and if everybody is doing the same thing, then in the end, nobody really stands out except for their GPAs.

I finally was able to click on the links on ASHP website. I use firefox and for some strange reason, I can't click on any links on that site, but I tried Internet Explorer and I was able to use it. I found a lot of useful information there. I was so overwhelmed when I looked at the resident sites on ASHP's website last night. There are in fact so many programs and it's so hard to choose the right one.

I actually think you are involved enough... From your first post, it seemed you did not do any extracurriculars. But it seems you do quiet a lot of activities, and I personally believe that these activities do not have to be associated with any organizations. As long as you are involved to some point and do something to improve your community (which you do based on your description), I think you should be fine. Your GPA is great as well, just keep it at this level.

Allure - You actually seem to have good involvement. The college committees are great things to be a part of....teaching and volunteering are also good things. GPA of 3.5 is also very competitive for residency.

Sounds like you have a great shot! Good luck!

If you get an interview---A lot happens in the interview. no matter how good your CV, what it comes down to is if the residency director wants to eat a hotdog with you. what happens in the general elections happens in small scale in the real world too. But if you can chum it up in the interview, you're in.:smuggrin: