Improvements to Stethoscope Design

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dcorbett36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently doing a project for school where I must improve upon the design of the stethoscope.

Does anyone have any personal experiences they could share detailing routine problems you encounter with using the stethoscope or just complaints in general about its design.

Also what kind of improvements would you like to see implemented on the stethoscope?

Many thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Sticky/oily tubing and heavy bell/diaphragm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stetoscopio_monoaurale.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently doing a project for school where I must improve upon the design of the stethoscope.

Does anyone have any personal experiences they could share detailing routine problems you encounter with using the stethoscope or just complaints in general about its design.

Also what kind of improvements would you like to see implemented on the stethoscope?

Many thanks

Noise artifact, be it from "crinkly" fingers, diaphragm - skin movement, lung noises, or tubing movement

Many thanks
There already are: http://www.littmann.com/wps/portal/...pe-catalog/catalog/?N=5932256+4294958300&rt=d

Lasers.

Reactions: 2 users
What if you put a microphone on the chest, that should pick up heart beats.

Here's a few things to improve upon

1) Head being too light. Make a scope with a 4-5lb solid machined brass head. This will improve sound conduction and reduce squeaking noises against body hair and paper gowns.

2) Tube length too short. You need a longer tube if you want to check distal pulses (like dorsalis pedis) while listening to the heart.

3) Over-the-ear earpieces. Every audiophile knows over-the-ear is superior for sound quality. If we are applying this technology so hipsters can listen to Vampire Weekend in higher fidelity, I'd like my cardiologist to have that same ability to make sure I don't have Wolff-Parkinson-White disease.

3) Over-the-ear earpieces. Every audiophile knows over-the-ear is superior for sound quality. If we are applying this technology so hipsters can listen to Vampire Weekend in higher fidelity, I'd like my cardiologist to have that same ability to make sure I don't have Wolff-Parkinson-White disease.

That's a pretty kickass headset if it allows you to hear an accessory conduction pathway.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If we are applying this technology so hipsters can listen to Vampire Weekend in higher fidelity, I'd like my cardiologist to have that same ability to make sure I don't have Wolff-Parkinson-White disease.

WPW is diagnosed by an EKG, not by a stethoscope. If stethoscopes all of a sudden start detecting the electrical signals through the heart, then that would be pretty amazing.

Many thanks

I would like an improvement where the earbuds sit comfortably in your ears instead of feeling like hell

2) Tube length too short. You need a longer tube if you want to check distal pulses (like dorsalis pedis) while listening to the heart.

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the physics involved here. However, a cardiologist explained to me that the longer the tube, the farther the sound has to travel to get to the earbuds. Therefore, sounds are actually clearer on a shorter stethoscope. So obviously, you need a certain distance for practical purposes, but a quality stethoscope will minimize the length of the tube.

Disclaimer: I am not familiar with the physics involved here. However, a cardiologist explained to me that the longer the tube, the farther the sound has to travel to get to the earbuds. Therefore, sounds are actually clearer on a shorter stethoscope. So obviously, you need a certain distance for practical purposes, but a quality stethoscope will minimize the length of the tube.
Have you ever tried using a 23 inch tube? It makes for a very intimate moment when you're checking heart sounds.

There is a nice review of acoustic stethoscopes here which scores many features. You can see the metrics used on earlier pages:

http://www.forusdocs.com/reviews/Acoustic_Stethoscope_Review_page7.htm

I've been happy with my purchase based on this review.

However, I have to agree, what we really need is a pocket ultrasound priced <$1000.

http://www3.gehealthcare.com/en/Products/Categories/Ultrasound/Vscan_Family/Vscan
http://gizmodo.com/5848892/the-mobius-is-an-ultrasound-machine-thatll-fit-in-your-pocket

It should be able to play mp3s. I can't be listening to aortic stenosis all day.

Reactions: 2 users

A few points
1) the shorter the tube length, the better the sound quality

2) why are you listening to the heart while palpating their feet?

3) I hope your cardiologist isn't diagnosing you with wpw by auscultation

4) echo is a lot more difficult to learn and teach than using a stethoscope. Those handheld ultrasound machines people are suggesting take months of dedicated study to know how to use

Ergonomic earpiece that is interchangeable for fit

yeah tbh I still dont understand how they haven't made a comfortable scope

this is going to sound strange, i've found that stethoscopes need to be streched to fit confortably, they come with the metal part to tight from factory and it squeezes your ears painfully.
Loose them up unmercifuly. Like breaking a twig.

I feel the same way about the tightness of something else as it comes " from the factory."

honestly coming from you I debated if you were trolling us and actually referring to that

I'm an engineering student. I'm working on a project to build a wireless stethoscope that projects noise to the entire hospital room (and it does not require the doctor to put anything in his/her ear).

This is more hygienic and it allows the patient to engage in diagnosis process.

I'm an engineering student. I'm working on a project to build a wireless stethoscope that projects noise to the entire hospital room (and it does not require the doctor to put anything in his/her ear).

This is more hygienic and it allows the patient to engage in diagnosis process.

Meh. Sounds like something that sounds cooler on paper than it would in real life