Improving + curing burnout on tight schedule?

Started by Tenebrus
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Tenebrus

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello SDNers!

I've been a lurker for a few months now, but I could really use some advice...

I'm currently signed up for the August 10th MCAT test date (next week Friday), and am in a bit of a situation.

First some context: I was following a version SN2ed's schedule, but due to my own negligence I fell far behind... I ended up pushing the review/TBR 2/3 and 3/3 days to the end of the schedule and focused on going through the content once. I managed that, but then instead of moving on to reviewing, I got really lazy again and didn't get around to it, ultimately I stopped doing the 2/3 and 3/3 BR passages entirely. Pretty usual pattern for me, I'm always a heavy procrastinator/more efficient under pressure type of person.

Long story short, I wasted a few days, and ultimately decided to start taking FL's for the hell of it... I took AAMC #3, two weeks ago, wasted a few more days, then finally last week I got myself in line and made a schedule to stick to. Basically I did all of the AAMC self-assessments and have been memorizing all the content that I'm weak on, along with taking more FL's for the past week.

Here are my scores:

AAMC 3: (7/19?) 34 (13/11/10)
AAMC 4 (7/27): 36 (12/12/12)
AAMC 5 (7/29): 34 (12/11/11)
AAMC 7 (8/1): 33 (11/11/11)

Is it realistic for me to expect any improvement by next Friday? I'm shooting for a 36+, and don't want to take the test if I don't think I can get it.

My scores seem to be dropping, but when I analyze my test results, the mistakes I make due to content have decreased, while I seem to be making more due to inattentiveness/choosing the wrong answer/missing something in a diagram, etc. For example, on AAMC 7 PS, I literally missed 3 questions each on PS/BS due to picking the wrong answer or for one of the bio, missing a word in an easy chart. AAMC 5 I had to force myself to drag through verbal and bio, was sick of the test by the time I finished PS. The test I felt most focused on was AAMC 4 ( I felt that way before seeing my scores, not retroactively!) Everything else I'm missing is stuff that I haven't memorized yet, which I should be able to finish up this weekend/monday at the latest.

I think this could be just burnout, but seeing as I have only a week and still have 4 AAMCs and a fair bit of content to get through, I can't exactly just take a couple days off... Does anyone have any tips for remaining focused/not burning out, or for just getting prepared under heavy time constraints?

Any advice is appreciated!


EDIT: Also, how about skipping one of the middle AAMC's (8 or 9) in favor of resting up a bit? Would it be worth the loss of practice to try and alleviate some burnout?
 
Last edited:
Your declining scores could be due to the increased difficulty of the practice exams as you go along (although I never perceived any real differences in difficulty going from 3->4->5->7), but as you said it is probably a lack of focus. If you can remember what you did the day you took FL 4 and try to recreate that situation for your future FLs and your real exam, that would probably help. Also, if in the middle of an exam you feel overwhelmed or you just know you're losing focus, just take a deep breath and just empty your brain. When I started getting the "mid section slumps," I'd back away from the screen, close my eyes, take a deep breath, and then get back to the test. It takes maybe 5 seconds, but it can really save a lot of careless errors.

Also, you should definitely not skip any of the AAMCs. Those are a precious resource, and skipping a test (as in, not taking it before your real exam) could be a huge mistake. They're not just good for gauging yourself, but they are the only form of practice that 100% accurately portrays a real AAMC test.

I think you should just try to push through the burned out feeling you have right now. I know I would hate myself for taking it a little easier than I should have during the week before my exam if I got a score that I wasn't happy with afterward. Just make sure you take the day before your exam off, go relax or do something fun. For now, keep your nose to the grindstone.
 
EDIT: Also, how about skipping one of the middle AAMC's (8 or 9) in favor of resting up a bit? Would it be worth the loss of practice to try and alleviate some burnout?
Yes, I believe this would be absolutely worth it. I ran into a similar situation because I crammed all of my studying into 4 weeks. I had to force myself to take a few days off even though, like you, I thought I couldn't afford it. It really made a world of a difference and I came back refreshed and making fewer dumb mistakes.
 
OP you need to stop worrying about people judging your scores and if they think you can do it. study, do what you do and you wont be let down. threads like these make me mad because all you want is a 36+ where as most people wish they can break 25.
 
OP you need to stop worrying about people judging your scores and if they think you can do it. study, do what you do and you wont be let down. threads like these make me mad because all you want is a 36+ where as most people wish they can break 25.

I feel yah.

I wish I broke 30 right now. Just did AAMC 3 and got 26, a point lower than my AAMC 7 composite.

This is SDN; overachieving and/or perfectionist premeds thrive like r-selection. I've gotten used to it.