Which pediatric residency programs include wisdom teeth extraction training?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roy Williams

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how common it is to want to have this goal, but I want to match into a peds program but also really love doing extractions. I think in the ideal world, I'd like to one day have my own practice and reserve one day a week for nothing but wisdom tooth removal, other extractions, and maybe some other minor surgical/pathologic stuff. Obviously only treating things within my scope, if there are too many complications I'd refer out.

That being said, I'm not really sure how to find out about residency programs. Does anyone have advice on how to find out about this or know of programs with this type of training included?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Your patients will be much better off with you referring them to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who does this every day of the week and spent 4-6 years training in a surgical environment. Financially, pediatrics is a volume business. So from a patient care stand point and a financial perspective for you those cases should be referred.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not sure how common it is to want to have this goal, but I want to match into a peds program but also really love doing extractions. I think in the ideal world, I'd like to one day have my own practice and reserve one day a week for nothing but wisdom tooth removal, other extractions, and maybe some other minor surgical/pathologic stuff. Obviously only treating things within my scope, if there are too many complications I'd refer out.

That being said, I'm not really sure how to find out about residency programs. Does anyone have advice on how to find out about this or know of programs with this type of training included?

Thanks!
3rd molars don't erupt until around 17 so that's a full adult dentition which is barely within the scope of peds.
If they are full bony impacted lowers, the patients would be much better served by OS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe learn ortho if you want something else with peds?

Why not just be a GP and work in/own a practice that has a high pediatric population?

Your patients will be much better off with you referring them to an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon who does this every day of the week and spent 4-6 years training in a surgical environment. Financially, pediatrics is a volume business. So from a patient care stand point and a financial perspective for you those cases should be referred.
3rd molars don't erupt until around 17 so that's a full adult dentition which is barely within the scope of peds.
If they are full bony impacted lowers, the patients would be much better served by OS.
It was actually an oral surgeon faculty member at my school who suggested the idea to me and was the one that said I should absolutely pursue that option as a part of my scope of practice if I wanted (since I think extractions are fun). That's the only reasons I'm posting here. He also mentioned in our thirds extraction lecture that he personally like to take out 3rd between the ages of 15-18, so I could be wrong but that seems like a good age range to me. If I do peds, I'd like to treat patients up to 18.

But yes, obviously I'd be responsible to the point of referring out anything that was outside my level of expertise. Mainly being full bony or anything that might have include an anatomical contraindication (i.e. IAN)

It was actually an oral surgeon faculty member at my school who suggested the idea to me and was the one that said I should absolutely pursue that option as a part of my scope of practice if I wanted (since I think extractions are fun). That's the only reasons I'm posting here. He also mentioned in our thirds extraction lecture that he personally like to take out 3rd between the ages of 15-18, so I could be wrong but that seems like a good age range to me. If I do peds, I'd like to treat patients up to 18.

But yes, obviously I'd be responsible to the point of referring out anything that was outside my level of expertise. Mainly being full bony or anything that might have include an anatomical contraindication (i.e. IAN)

I think he was pulling your chain.

Don't have to be OMS to do thirds. Someone I know was being pressured into doing a GPR just to do thirds. At 15-18 once you get into the bone you can probably just pop them out really easily, just stay away from the canal and you should be good

Reactions: 1 users
Don't have to be OMS to do thirds. Someone I know was being pressured into doing a GPR just to do thirds. At 15-18 once you get into the bone you can probably just pop them out really easily, just stay away from the canal and you should be good
What do you mean “once you get into the bone?” There are tons of factors affecting 3rd molar exo. That’s why OS spends a ton of time on dentalveolar, because it’s very easy to screw up 17/32.
And if you’re spending time learning 3rds, you’re losing time learning peds.