Recommendation for books on improving communication skills in Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Deo0086

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This thread is to seek recommendations for improving communication skills in dentistry or in general on patient interaction. Also other educational books on practice management would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I personally learned about everything about this subject through talking with more experienced dentists and learning from my own mistakes...

Reactions: 1 users
So much of it has to do with your ability, not just as a dentist, but as a person in general to feel comfortable communicating with people in general. If you're able to do that, then adding in the dental component is an easy transition.

One of the key things that I do, is assess what level of technical detail you need to communicate to patients in. For example, how you're going to explain what you're doing while restoring #30 occlussal to a 7 year old will be different than to a 37 yr old, but in the end you should be able to have both of those ages understand the concept of what and why you're doing what you are to that tooth.

Personally I like to try and use humor often when discussing things with patients. Most of the time, our patients have some degree of anxiety while in our chairs, and trying to get them to relax and take their mind off what they think will happen (pain often) while in our chairs I have found to help out a great deal. Not really sure if there's a book that I have come across that deals with this as much as it's just been some trial and error on my part over the years as well as listening to numerous colleagues and continuing education speakers talk about patient communication and management and then applying that in my own operatories to see what works for me

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I find that the new dentists I work with have limited experience speaking with people outside of their immediate peer group. As a result they often speak "over the head" of the patients. The patents are not necessarily upper middle class, college educated and well read. Likewise, the patents did not go to dental school so dental terms are useless. The patients tend to be respectful and will not tell you that they do not understand what you are saying. They will just smile and nod their head.

The moral of the story is make it simple and ALWAYS ask if the patient has any questions.

Reactions: 1 users
The book Difficult Conversations by Douglas Stone, Sheila Heen, and Bruce really helped me learn to have a productive conversation with people in emotionally charged situations. I bought it for personal reasons but I could see it being relevant to a clinical experience, especially if you are uncomfortable with conflict in general. I am only a dental student though and am not even in the clinic yet.

Reactions: 1 user