Improving Manual Dexterity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!

I've noticed that many people here are trying to improve their manual dexterity. I recently created something that should help that; I want to ship it free to 20 or 30 people and see if it improves their manual dexterity at all.

Check this vid for a quick visual of what the device is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hdk63MCIKQ

If you're interested in having me mail one of these to you, just reply below so I can get a feel for interest. If the interest is there, I will PM 20 to 30 people to receive one of these.

Again, watch the video. I am thinking that any kind of movement with the hands over an extended period of time will improve manual dexterity; but I want to run some tests! Does anyone have thoughts on why this would or would not work? I would LOVE to hear some thoughts/feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I'm on break until dent school, I have some time to kill ill try it :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Here's a pic I took to give a better idea of scale (there's a paper backing on these that you peel off before putting it together)

http://imgur.com/NO2auVl

Thet, I'll give it a try! Definitely looks promising.

interesting! i would like to try

i think aimlessly moving your fingers wouldn't improve the kind of manual dexterity you need for dental work. Moreover, the toy you made requires mostly finger extension and flexion to manipulate, whereas while doing dental work your fingers are mostly used for holding the instrument and making subtle moves in very very short strokes, you also use your wrist, which is not really at work while playing with your toy. To do good dental work you need to have good hand-eye coordination and also be able to feel the textural feedback from teeth surfaces through your hand instrument, whether it be a probe or a drill. To improve hand-eye coordination, building something at a scale that is comparable to a tooth or carving out a soap or wax in the shape of a tooth would be really effective practice. Whatever idea you come up with, it has to involve subtle movemenst of hand and you have to have a reference object to manipulate. I took tooth waxing and filling courses at my school and I think those were really good practice. I think nothing can replace working on typodonts and of course, actual teeth.

Seek job at a nail salon. You'll thank me later. Haha

I have a lot of bored time so I would like one!

I've been trying to better my left hand by eating and writing with it

I'll try this! I've always wanted to do this sort of thing with a coin but felt its weight and small diameter made it particularly challenging. This, however, looks like fun and the design seems to be user-friendly. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
came to thread expecting to see something stupid.

left thread jealous and thinking you could be a millionaire if you marketed this to everyone, especially the elderly.

and yes, i'm definitely interested, as a guitarist.

I'd love to try this out. Let me know if you need anymore tester :)

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

I would like one please.

Hey All,

Thanks for the response! I knew it was a cool idea, but didn't expect so many people to respond :).

I have a batch being made right now, should be in the mail by next week. We do have a website for this device and I hope to market it in the future, but this is a great way for me
to test it and see what the general consensus on the product is.

EDIT: I had said that I would PM everyone; I can only do 5 pms every 2 minutes. Lets have you guys email me with your address and name here on the forum so I can verify that you were one of the first 20. Please send the email to [email protected]

Last edited:
I can use one. and i could totally see myself doing it while in class/studying.

i want one please.

Looks addicting. I'll take one if you got any left.

I would in interested in trying it out.

However, the creation in the video reminds me of pencil twirling, where I move the pencil around from finger to finger. Pencil twirling is something that I sometimes do when I'm bored or thinking with a pencil/pen in my hand. I'm not sure if this will improve manual dexterity significantly.

I think the short length of it also might make it harder. I would be interested in something that makes my hands more steady and give me more precision. My left hand is significantly weaker than my right hand so when I hold things for long periods of time, like pressing down on the water/air syringe to rinse a patient's mouth for extended periods in mid-air, it does not appear steady. However, my right hand is very steady since I use it a lot.

Good luck on your creation though!

Looks addicting. I'll take one if you got any left.

For some reason I can't PM you, experiment626. Shoot me an email. Anyone else that posted but hasn't gotten a PM from me yet just send an email to [email protected] (include a shipping address)

I'll go ahead and shut it down now, I want to make sure I have enough to send out. Thanks everyone for the interest; this post was more popular than I thought it would get! I'm excited to hear what everyone thinks :).

pm me id love to check it out.

I'd like to try this as well. Looks like a great stress reliever!

Maybe you can make these, get a patent? Something to fal back on if dentistry doesn't work out :idea:

yeah please, I was hoping for one of these long time ago. haha pretty cool.

yeah im still waiting too.