Improving my odds- suggestions welcome

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

PharMed2016

Eternal Scholar
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
As some of you may know, I am a PharmD canadiate who plans on going to medical school after finishing my PharmD. **Not going to argue why I am doing this route** Now, I just wants some suggestions on improving my CV and chances for medical school.


Currently - I volunteer at a hospital in the ED but haven't really shadowed any docs there besides the occassional... I'll show you something neat - type. I have shadowed clinical, staff and community pharmacist in various settings.

In school recently, I scored my best semester with a 3.6 (all upper division science courses), which is compared to my freshmen GPA of about a 2.8. During the course of my undergraduate education, I was involved in peer tutoring, tennis club, and my own study group. Also, on the academic side... I am heavily involved in research with a study in Drug Delivery System Formulation - in particular microemulsions, along with other studies such as MRSA, Hemodialysis/PeritonealDialysis Daptomycin clinical study, Vancomycin clinical study, KPC, and a few others studies of which I am less conversant. There will be an abstract published if not a paper on the microemulsion formulation and I will probably be published in two papers in the series of studies being conducted (latter).

My non-clinical experiences involve volunteering at the RMH (Ronald McDonald House), volunteering at the food bank, and doing the walk for life.

***************************************

However with that being said, I do not have any certifications as of current and do not have any practical physician shadowing experiences. I have not taken the MCAT as of yet but will do this summer after I finish my Kaplan Review course which will begin this coming spring.

My cumulative GPA is around a 3.42 with a science GPA of around a 3.2. On my transcript, there are 3 C-level grades (although none lower than a C) in chemistry I, orgo I&II (thinking about taking both over the summer). Anyone with any ideas on how I would be able to improve my chances before I apply two years from now along with what schools to apply to.

Thanks a bunch, (Not here to argue about why pharmacy first).

*********************************
 
Well, I won't argue with your plan to do a pharmD first. But can I ask why you're taking the MCAT this summer? Won't it expire before you've been able to apply to medical school? (MCATs are good for 3 years only).

Also, you *ideally* want around a 3.5 before you apply. Ideally. So if you want to take even more time to do a post-bacc, it wouldn't hurt.

My $0.02.

Your ECs look good. Shadowing a physician wouldn't hurt but I doubt it'll make or break your application.
 
Well, I won't argue with your plan to do a pharmD first. But can I ask why you're taking the MCAT this summer? Won't it expire before you've been able to apply to medical school? (MCATs are good for 3 years only).

Also, you *ideally* want around a 3.5 before you apply. Ideally. So if you want to take even more time to do a post-bacc, it wouldn't hurt.

My $0.02.

Your ECs look good. Shadowing a physician wouldn't hurt but I doubt it'll make or break your application.

Thanks for your advice. As for the MCAT, I will be applying during my P2 year (since its accelerated, I finish 1 year early), thus I will just make the MCAT cutoff.

Congratz on your medical school acceptance.
 
Last edited: