In a bad situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodishgood

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello people!
My background:
So I've made some poor choices in life, failing a music class and computer science (picking random majors) during my first year of college. That has definitely dragged my overall GPA down to a 2.5. I didn't bother retaking those class because I did not care about my grades or knew what I wanted to do. After I graduated from college with a bio degree I wanted to get into Pharmacy so I've decide to take additional pre-reqs and upper divs science courses. My post-bac GPA is 3.6. But my overall only went up to 2.7 :( I am currently working as a tech and planning to volunteer.

My situation:
I applied this year and I was flood with rejection letters all due to GPA reasons. I do not see my future doing anything else besides becoming a pharmacist. I would call the school later when the admissions aren't too busy.

What direction should I take to improve my chances for the next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

haha how the hell do you fail music...jk. I mentioned this to someone earlier, though I don't know if they actually hold true to their statements. UGA states that they ONLY consider their required prepharm classes when calculating each applicants gpa so that should definitely be in your favor. UGA is also a very good school from what I have researched (aside from getting belligerent there and having a blast).

hi,

Have you retaken any classes to improve your gpa and your pcat scores?
There are some pharmacy schools that their minimum gpa is a 2.7 but usually the average to get in is a 3.3 or above. depending of course how many schools you have researched.

but also, i know what you are feeling because right now my college GPA is a 3.12 ( due to the fact i failed calculus twice & i had about two other F's in my transcript) but when they calculated my GPA for pharmcas my overall is a 2.70 :( even though my grades greatly improve this past year from a 2.4 to a 3.5 (semester grades). my overall grade was still at a low. I havent gotten any rejection letters yet, but my application is on "on-hold." Which i am assuming i probably wont get an interview invite.

but dont give up just yet, the only thing you can do is retake classes or contact the school and figure out what other reasons why you got rejected. It sucks because even though we did bad our first year of college and improved for the better, it seems like they dont notice of that.

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
You just have to prove to the pharmacy school that you are capable of performing well academically.

I have 3.0 GPA, and got a few interview invites, and acceptances. This is because I explained my circumstances well on my personal statement. I also convince the admission committee that my passion and motivation are genuine. My experience in community service, volunteer, research, personal projects were also a huge plus on my application.

Don't lose hope and keep up the good work. During the interview or in your personal statement, you can point out your huge academic improvement for the past 2 years or 1 year. Getting a high PCAT score also help support your arguement as well.

Good Luck !

As for the music course, I can relate to you. I had to memorize 50 Jazz pieces for my final. I spend a whole month listening to jazz and still had trouble during the final. They all sound the same to me..lol

This. Your best option is to pick schools that do academic forgivness. Purdue in Indiana will do this. Search the threads, because I know others have asked about it on SDN. Then call the schools you are interested in and ask for the specifics, such as time frame or is it just a completed degree etc. Then keep volunteering, and everything else you are doing. Good Luck :)

haha how the hell do you fail music...jk. I mentioned this to someone earlier, though I don't know if they actually hold true to their statements. UGA states that they ONLY consider their required prepharm classes when calculating each applicants gpa so that should definitely be in your favor. UGA is also a very good school from what I have researched (aside from getting belligerent there and having a blast).

Last edited: