in a big hole!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

needteeth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have a F in my histology class that I am taking right now:(. I have had 5 interviews, and two more coming. I am doing fine in my other classes mostly all A's. And I tried calculating my grade, and am reallly scared now. I am shooting for a C, but what will dental schools think if I get a D in the class. My overall and sci gpa is about a 3.65 currently. If I do get accepted to dental schools Dec 1, can schools take away their acceptance offer if I get a D in histology???

Members don't see this ad.

So I have a F in my histology class that I am taking right now:(. I have had 5 interviews, and two more coming. I am doing fine in my other classes mostly all A's. And I tried calculating my grade, and am reallly scared now. I am shooting for a C, but what will dental schools think if I get a D in the class. My overall and sci gpa is about a 3.65 currently. If I do get accepted to dental schools Dec 1, can schools take away their acceptance offer if I get a D in histology???

Absolutely, they can. There are thousands who have maintained their required C mark. And, I can bet, they will be all over any acceptance that may open up.

Members don't see this ad :)
its a course for my major, so I need to pass it to graduate, and i do not think histology is a pre-req at any dental schools, and its only offered at my school in the fall semester...

its a course for my major, so I need to pass it to graduate, and i do not think histology is a pre-req at any dental schools, and its only offered at my school in the fall semester...

Cant you withdraw from that class this semester and retake it next semester?

The class is only offered in the Fall semester. Should I contact dental schools if I do get a D in the class?? Or should I not do anything???

take it at another college if your school doesn't offer it than transfer the credit.
in this case a W would look better than a D after F.

it is too late to withdraw from the course, and I do not think histology is offered at a nearby college...

it is too late to withdraw from the course, and I do not think histology is offered at a nearby college...

You might have exhausted all you options. Go speak to your professor and explain your situation. See if you can get some points on assignments or exams. Ask if you can do some make up work or extra credit assignments. If not, buckle down and memorize your book to ace the final. good luck

professor said he cannot do anything, im just so stressed out now, that dental schools will look at this grade for this one class. I hope they do not change their mind if some dental schools do plan to accept me.

when will schools find out about fall grades?? I have heard academic update takes a long time for AADSAS??

Do everything possible to drop that class. I have heard of students dropping classes after the drop/add period. Talk to your academic advisor. Make alot of noise. This is your future

W is alot better than a D or F

Members don't see this ad :)
if I do drop the course, I cannot get a degree then, the course is needed for my major:(:(

tell them you had swine flu if your family is friend with a GP get them to write you a note.

Wow from all the stupid stuff i've seen you write, i really hope your not truly going into dentistry...

Wow from all the stupid stuff i've seen you write, i really hope your not truly going into dentistry...
I was just trying to help! my friend got out of missing an exam by doing this. To the OP I believe in you!! In this life I have found you can find a way to get through anything no matter how many people try to put you down. If you get a D just persevere!

I was just trying to help! my friend got out of missing an exam by doing this. To the OP I believe in you!! In this life I have found you can find a way to get through anything no matter how many people try to put you down. If you get a D just persevere!

Its funny how you try to be all sincere here and you pm me talkin all that sh**. Dude get off SDN and get a life. I would hate for someone as immature as you to be my dentist...

What a lot of predents say baffles me...

Your acceptance will be contingent on maintaining grades at a C level.

What a lot of predents say baffles me...

Your acceptance will be contingent on maintaining grades at a C level.

TJ, you seem to know more about this than others, and I have seen a lot of similar posts to this; would you care to expand a little more so we won't see this again? Are all schools like this, or just a few? Thanks

Out of the handful acceptances I received, I had to maintain a C or higher in the courses I was taking.

Do not fall behind in your courses, they are just as important as your interview. Same goes for Spring semester. You will have to submit a final transcript to receive your OFFICIAL acceptance letter.

Out of the handful acceptances I received, I had to maintain a C or higher in the courses I was taking.

Do not fall behind in your courses, they are just as important as your interview. Same goes for Spring semester. You will have to submit a final transcript to receive your OFFICIAL acceptance letter.

So a C in every course? Not "C" average? If true that means if you get a D in a course you will get your offer rescinded even if you got straight A's besides that and took the class over?? hmm

If this is true, OP im sorry....

I don't want to bum you out OP but my best friend got accepted to a dental school (which I won't name) last year and failed his Head and Neck anatomy course during the winter semester and the school rescinded their offer. He retook the class in the fall and is reapplying this year. Hope this helps answer your question.

I don't want to bum you out OP but my best friend got accepted to a dental school (which I won't name) last year and failed his Head and Neck anatomy course during the winter semester and the school rescinded their offer. He retook the class in the fall and is reapplying this year. Hope this helps answer your question.

They offer head and neck at you school? Thats kool i wish they did at mine...

It amazes me on some of the comments posted in this forum (faking the swine flu). To the OP, I am sorry to hear about your situation. I can only tell you to learn from your experience. Since you cannot drop the class, try to do well on the remaining tests and final. Any grade is much better than a "F". You seem like quite an accomplished student (getting 5 interviews and an overall GPA of 3.65). It's surprising that you are finding yourself in this situation. Too busy preparing for interviews instead of exams.
I wish you good luck; and hopefully, things will turn out good for you.

Trust me, u can drop it, its still november, YOU CAN DROP IT... Go talk to the dean and them tell ur situation, thrw a fraking fit if u have to but you get that W

If they don't let u drop, and you do earn that D or F and you ended up having ur acceptance taken away, u can actually sue ur school for personal damages because they just hurt ur chances of making a living in the near future

Oh one more, MOST dental schools don't have histology as a prerew course, so IF u did end up screwing it up, they might still not take away ur acceptance

Last edited:
Trust me, u can drop it, its still november, YOU CAN DROP IT... Go talk to the dean and them tell ur situation, thrw a fraking fit if u have to but you get that W

If they don't let u drop, and you do earn that D or F and you ended up having ur acceptance taken away, u can actually sue ur school for personal damages because they just hurt ur chances of making a living in the near future

Oh one more, MOST dental schools don't have histology as a prerew course, so IF u did end up screwing it up, they might still not take away ur acceptance

Are you joking? Suing your school because they wouldn't give you a grade that you didn't deserve? Get a life.

Last edited:

Grow up, future pita patient.

SUE SUE SUE.

If he doesn't meet the requirements, he shouldn't be given the acceptance. As I mentioned there are thousands (what, 8k last year?) who didn't have an acceptance and would love that spot. I'll say it again, your current classes are still important, and maybe more important, than your interview. Take it seriously.

You will see more posts like this once acceptances go out. Look at last years array of them.

if I do drop the course, I cannot get a degree then, the course is needed for my major:(:(

Yes but if you get an F isn't that almost the same thing since you won't have earned any credits for the course since you didn't pass and therefore not allowing you to graduate and receive your degree??

Yes but if you get an F isn't that almost the same thing since you won't have earned any credits for the course since you didn't pass and therefore not allowing you to graduate and receive your degree??
He will just save his GPA to some extent.

TJNova2011 & spud daddy

I am shocked about your responses, the WHOLE point why we go to college is because we wanna open the door to a better future. These colleges are supposed to help us open that door. Now I admit he did put himself in a situation he shouldn't have been in, but still he made a mistake and he is trying to pay for it by earning a W and still paying for the course's credits. I'd say thats punishment enough, there is NO REASON his school shouldn't give him that W, he has about a month left until the semester is over, HE SHOULD BE GIVEN THAT W

Basically, his school RIGHT NOW (if they really prevent him from getting that W) is closing the door on his/her future, thats not what college is all about. He/she should not sit back and accept the fact that his little histology mistake should prevent him from getting into a dental school.

TJNova2011 & spud daddy

I am shocked about your responses, the WHOLE point why we go to college is because we wanna open the door to a better future. These colleges are supposed to help us open that door. Now I admit he did put himself in a situation he shouldn't have been in, but still he made a mistake and he is trying to pay for it by earning a W and still paying for the course's credits. I'd say thats punishment enough, there is NO REASON his school shouldn't give him that W, he has about a month left until the semester is over, HE SHOULD BE GIVEN THAT W

Basically, his school RIGHT NOW (if they really prevent him from getting that W) is closing the door on his/her future, thats not what college is all about. He/she should not sit back and accept the fact that his little histology mistake should prevent him from getting into a dental school.
The schools set certain period when one can drop the course for full tuition reimbursement, half, etc. Likewise, they also set deadlines regarding switching a class to pass/fail and withdrawing from the course. Equally important, these are specified online and in the academic catalog. Everyone must abide by these rules. This is a good lesson, it really is. In dental school if you do not understand something, do not wait until the end of the course. The academic institution has given the opportunity to succeed. The OP must enrich in that opportunity and follow the game everyone else does play. I hope the OP has talked to the professor, explained his deficiency. I believe no one should be withheld an acceptance to dental school based on one class. You have to take it seriously, as I've mentioned many times. It is not a game because SO many people who have not earned a deficiency will be awaiting that phone call, honestly.

yea, but if I do drop the course and get a W, won't I still have to retake the course in order to receive a degree, and I know most dental schools want their students to have a degree before entering. So either way, if I Fail (F), or with draw (W), I will not get a degree since the course is only offered in the Fall semester. So if I do get a F or a W, Im am screwed, but what about if i get a D???? Thanks for your input guys

yea, but if I do drop the course and get a W, won't I still have to retake the course in order to receive a degree, and I know most dental schools want their students to have a degree before entering. So either way, if I Fail (F), or with draw (W), I will not get a degree since the course is only offered in the Fall semester. So if I do get a F or a W, Im am screwed, but what about if i get a D???? Thanks for your input guys

Can you retake it at another school and transfer it to count towards your degree? Just trying to help

lmao dude the swine flue comment did kind of cross the line and was messed up .. i agree
mr awesome

Alright, umm, so F or W or D, according to you, theyr all bad.

My advice to you then is, get off SDN, pull the plug off ur TV set, and sit down from now till your finals and memorize your histology text inside and out.... You have to get that C. I know it sounds harsh, but thats life.

D is not gonna help. You need C or better to count class towards the degree (as far as I know). So either way, drop it or not drop it, you won't have your degree and schools will not take you in.
One suggestion (as previously mentioned) is to take the class somewhere else (even if it requires you go out of state) and transfer it in for the degree completion.

Just do as good as you can, hope the school don't take your seat away. If they do, retake class next year and reapply next year.

In the end, hopefully it will teach you a lesson.

Damn, see this is why you don't fail.
BTW we need a fire extinquisher in here!

I, too, have been wondering about this myself. I am taking biochem right now, but am considering dropping it because I am not doing well. I was wondering if a W looks bad on a transcript and if schools will still rescind their offers if there is a W during my second to last semester of school... I've already been on a few interviews already, and none of these schools require biochem as a prereq...

Just wanted to bump this to call TJNova out

Withdraw from the class immediately. Cite a medical issue, like swine flu. Retake it next semester. Simple as THAT.

Its funny how you try to be all sincere here and you pm me talkin all that sh**. Dude get off SDN and get a life. I would hate for someone as immature as you to be my dentist...

the poster suggested a reasonable solution that most students would take if they had the intelligence to carry out such a procedure. i have done it numerous times and it is very helpful, so op give it a go.

seriously, you need to stfu with all this good Samaritan shi*t. im willing to bet that if you were in the same position as the OP, you would not even hesitate to get a doctors note.

i'd understand your comment if you were a female, but you are a male, and that is very embarrassing. i bet you never got into a fight, nor ever will since you are a gigantic pu$$Y. don't bother to respond because i will again, belittle you.

so i buckled down, and worked my tail off and made a C in the class.

it was a big relief, but I still hope schools will be okay with a C.

the poster suggested a reasonable solution that most students would take if they had the intelligence to carry out such a procedure. i have done it numerous times and it is very helpful, so op give it a go.

seriously, you need to stfu with all this good Samaritan shi*t. im willing to bet that if you were in the same position as the OP, you would not even hesitate to get a doctors note.

i'd understand your comment if you were a female, but you are a male, and that is very embarrassing. i bet you never got into a fight, nor ever will since you are a gigantic pu$$Y. don't bother to respond because i will again, belittle you.

not even worth it.

Last edited:
Wow, this entire thread was an adventure!

Haha, congrats. I am sure in the end, when the prof saw that you made the effort he wasn't going to ruin your entire life. :)