In a bit of a pickle regarding a pre-req. (Online vs. Waitlist)

Started by Corks
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Corks

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have one prereq left, Biomechanics/Kinesiology for UW-Madison (Wisconsin), and I'm 13th on the waitlist at UW-Milwaukee to take it.

It's a big class (over 100 people), with 4 lab sections. I already contacted my advisor, UW-Madison's pre-PT advisor, and the teacher of the class. Although they all said there are no guarantees, they DID tell me I'll most likely get in. I just worry because of the lab times, I know there is limited equipment.

This class doesn't start until 1/23/12.

Now, there is an alternative that the pre-PT advisor at Madison told me I could take. It's an online UCLA-extension Biomechanics course. It's at the graduate level, which #1 will probably be A LOT harder, and two it's online. I've never taken an online course before. This cost's roughly $650 and starts on the 9th of January. Also, there is a refund policy, but I have to drop the class before the 3rd "meeting". I just wish that I could know one way or another with the UW-Milwaukee class if I can get in or not before I spend this amount of money on a class I MAY not even end up taking.

What do you think I should do?
 
i would email this same exact thing to the instructor and say its extremely critical! i don't know how they do it at your school, but usually schools can override more students in their sections. my microbiology teacher let about 10 people over his max. i have to take biomechanics in the spring and i was told it's all trig based physics. if you were good at physics and math, then you'll probably be fine doing it online.
 
I have taken online classes before. In my experience, they had more "busy" work than non-online classes since we never had to meet up for a class. That might also be something to consider. I agree with what was said above though, I would contact the professor again of the non-online class to see if there is anything he can do. A lot of professors allow an extra student or more into their class even though the class is already full provided that the student has a good reason for needing the class at that time. Explain your dilemma to the professor, and he or she may deem that a good reason. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks guys! I have told him again how dire this is for me. Basically I'm taking this class and I took exercise physiology this fall (5 credits! worked my butt for an A), outside of my degree. I spent $1000 per credit on Exercise phys. I don't want to do that again, I went back to Marquette (private school) for that one.

I already was accepted into a state school, but I REALLY feel like Madison is the place for me. However, I don't know if it's worth another $5000 just for the "chance" at acceptance, you know? I'll keep you guys updated.
 
woah since you put it that way whats there to think about!? $5000 vs $650!!! just do the online class! i always google stuff if i need someone somewhere to dumb it down for me. i remember watching online youtube tutorials from a professor at Berkeley to help me with A&P because my A&P professor was an idiot.
 
If you get an A in a five-credit ex. physiology course, what makes you think you'll do much worse in a graduate-level course? Don't forget, in a few months all your courses will be graduate-level. Save yourself $4300 and take the online course, which will be good training for the intensity and rigor of PT school.

Kevin
 
If you get an A in a five-credit ex. physiology course, what makes you think you'll do much worse in a graduate-level course? Don't forget, in a few months all your courses will be graduate-level. Save yourself $4300 and take the online course, which will be good training for the intensity and rigor of PT school.

Kevin

I think I confused everyone in my post 😛.

So, the class at UW-Milwaukee is about $800 for in class, with lab. The online biomechanics is $650.

I WANT to get into the UWM class. Now, lets say I don't do the online class, and I don't get into the UWM one. I was just saying I won't pay $5000 to take it at a private school (marquette) if I don't have to. I should be happy I got into a program! 🙂

I just wish that I could get a refund for the online class after I knew I either get in/don't get into the UWM class. Their refund deadline is before the starting date of the UWM class 🙁