In a pickle...When to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling_with_the_punches

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good evening everyone... I had a quick question as to whether I should apply this cycle or next year (2015)

My plan is this,

I'm finishing up this semester with A's in Orgo 2, Physics 2, Genetics lecture and Genetics Lab which was 15 credit hours.
After this semester, my overall gpa will be around 3.65; science is probably around 3.5-3.6
I also already have 3 strong letters of Rec in line.

I plan to take the MCAT in August which I know is late but I want to have the summer to prepare.
In the summer i'll be taking two classes however. History 100 and Orgo Lab.
Both of them are separated though. History is 4 weeks long and orgo lab is 8 weeks.
I also plan to do research during this time as well.
Any left over time will be spent reviewing for about the first month ~late may - early june~
Then spend the rest of the time until August doing passages and all the AAMC's.

Do you guys think I would have a shot at this cycle?
My extracurriculars:
Worked as an EMT for 6 months.
Had to stop due to a shoulder injury that i previously had, needed surgery to correct it.
Volunteer at a Level 1 trauma center in Emergency Room around ~250+ hours
Research lab at my state medical school, I just started but I planned to do more this summer.
Medicina Scholar's Program at State Medical school.
In my state schools Honors college, I don't think it's a big deal though.

I think I wanted to tutor my last semester which is the Fall semester but I don't think it will make much of a difference and I should just focus on more research.

What do you guys think?

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would advise against trying to apply this cycle, mainly based on that August MCAT date. You will be complete too far into the cycle, imo. Apply next year, take your time, and get your app in early in the cycle.

Also, make sure you have enough time to dedicate to the MCAT during the summer. Don't want to push too hard with other obligations and not study as well as you possibly can.

Good luck. I'd say the rest of your app looks good. Make sure you have some shadowing as well.

I'm in a similar situation and decided not to rush the process. 1 extra year out of school won't make a big difference in the end, and by doing that you can even squeeze in some more time to study for the mcat.