In-city bias?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panbimbo

Reaction score
I know of course that there is in-state bias for a lot of schools. However, can there be such thing as in-city bias? For example, being from Camden, NJ and applying to Cooper? Or living in Baltimore and applying to JHU? Or NYC and apply to all the NYC schools?

Members don't see this ad.

There is supposedly a little bit of a bias, since you are more likely to matriculate. But I don't think it's very much. In my personal experience, it's been 2R/2 with one being my undergrad school. Ultimately, I think while there may be more people in the final class from the city than any other place, the acceptance rate would still be pretty similar. Theoretically, larger number of same-city residents would apply than from any other city/area. Kind of like how state residents are more likely to apply to both private/public schools in their state.

Reactions: 1 user
I believe some schools might have a protocol in place where they initially give slight preference to local students when deciding whom to interveiw, and then end up waitlisting them. Then, within one week of orientation, they will have built a small waitlist of local students that are ready, on command, to fill a last minute drop out.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are some schools that are super focused on regional students. For instance, In Washington State, WSU specifically seeks students from Eastern Washington, about 2/3s of which come from Spokane (trhe town the school is in) and UW has both Seattle and Spokane campuses with preference for each campus going to those from either western or eastern washington, respectively (With half of western washingtonians living in or near seattle and 2/3 of eastern washingtonians living in/around Spokane.) Knowing that my two state schools do this, I could imagine that other state schools do this as well. Granted, these are the only two medical schools in a 600 mile radius...so they definitely can have a bias.

There are some schools that are super focused on regional students. For instance, In Washington State, WSU specifically seeks students from Eastern Washington, about 2/3s of which come from Spokane (trhe town the school is in) and UW has both Seattle and Spokane campuses with preference for each campus going to those from either western or eastern washington, respectively (With half of western washingtonians living in or near seattle and 2/3 of eastern washingtonians living in/around Spokane.) Knowing that my two state schools do this, I could imagine that other state schools do this as well. Granted, these are the only two medical schools in a 600 mile radius...so they definitely can have a bias.

The northwest has 2 schools in a 600 mile radius. The northeast has 2 schools every 60 miles.

The northwest has 2 schools in a 600 mile radius. The northeast has 2 schools every 60 miles.
There are more MD schools in Manhattan alone than there are in every state west of the Rockies (excluding California).

There are more MD schools in Manhattan alone than there are in every state west of the Rockies (excluding California).

To be fair, NYC has a higher population than all those states except California

Fun fact: Around 60% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi though only around 25% of America soil comprises the same area.

Feel like I’m missing out on being a real American by living out west

To be fair, NYC has a higher population than all those states except California

Fun fact: Around 60% of the US population lives east of the Mississippi though only around 25% of America soil comprises the same area.

Feel like I’m missing out on being a real American by living out west
As a western stater, I gotta say I love the ability to actually see the Milky Way a couple hours from town. Or the ability to get to a high enough elevation that there is snow in August.

Cooper absolutely has a more local bias. They are very, very focused on serving the local community. At my interview day, only like 2/30 were from out of state, and many were from within 20-30 mins away and knew the area very well. Transforming Camden is their mission, so it makes sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Cooper absolutely has a more local bias. They are very, very focused on serving the local community. At my interview day, only like 2/30 were from out of state, and many were from within 20-30 mins away and knew the area very well. Transforming Camden is their mission, so it makes sense.

Would you consider UC Riverside to have a local bias?

It depends on the school. JHU is surrounded by some very poor areas so if a student grew up right there and said they wanted to stay there then maybe the school would like that. Partially it would be because they would be familiar with the area so the story would feel genuine because it is what they see around them. That being said if you are from Roland Park (fancy area of Baltimore) then no they probably are not going to care. State schools are more likely to care - they will believe you more when you say you want to go there and a lot of them are trying to serve their state's people so wanting to stay there and understanding those people is a plus.