In Finch you need to have your own microscope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a secondary from finch. They are saying that every student would either need to rent or buy a microscope. This is a total turn off. Is the school that poor that it cannot afford to buy microscopes? The total for books and supplies (including microscope rental) is $2,073. Isn't it too much? I was complaning to spending $300 a semester at my school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think a "microscope rental fee" is pretty standard -- I know we have one at Duke, and I remember seeing it in the fine print of most of the places I interviewed at as well.

The "books and supplies" fee is always going to look high, since it assumes you buy all the recommended textbooks and equipment. The reality is that you don't need to do so. I bought just one or two books the whole year and took the rest out of the library -- saved hundreds of dollars.

If that's what's bothering you about Finch...well, just don't apply there. There are numerous issues that I have with Finch. First off, their tuition is some of (if not the) highest in the country. The location is very poor. Some people like the fact that they get bounced from hospital to hospital during the clerkships because Finch has no hospital of its own, but I don't think I would. Then there are the admissions issues. Finch does not, as AMCAS recommends, refund the $100 deposit. Further, they start school extremely early, which I believe is an attempt to prevent their better students from getting accepted at more preferable institutions.

I'm sure their match-list is wonderful, but so far no one has been able to point out a school to me that has a really bad match-list so I don't take that to mean anything at all. Their admissions staff is, at least, pretty nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
at finch, you prolly have to rent/buy your cadaver for anatomy. :)

despite its rather high tuition, BU also makes you purchase a microscope (at least, that's what the viewbook they sent me said)