In general, how do admissions work at T20 schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LostTranslator

Reaction score
Title! Basically, what is the admissions process like at the elite schools? Is there a rundown anywhere?

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In my experience on can either

1. Perform solidly (ie summa cum laude, good MCAT) at an Ivy League school (as well as Stanford, Chicago, mit, Caltech, Duke etc.) with at least mediocre ECs

2. Go to a lower school but have amazing ECs (ie D1 varsity athlete, founder of successful nonprofit, first author science/cell/nature)

I would say that #1 is probably the easier path since there is so much randomness in path #2

Reactions: 1 users

1. Perform solidly (ie summa cum laude, good MCAT) at an Ivy League school (as well as Stanford, Chicago, mit, Caltech, Duke etc.) with at least mediocre ECs

2. Go to a lower school but have amazing ECs (ie D1 varsity athlete, founder of successful nonprofit, first author science/cell/nature)

I would say that #1 is probably the easier path since there is so much randomness in path #2
Ha! As if getting into an Ivy League caliber school and performing solidly is easier than any alternative.

It also does not answer the question.

In essence, all adcoms are the same and all are different. Things can even change from one year to the next. What does not change and what is universal is that the ultimate decisions must be made by a committee made up of medical school faculty (this is required for accreditation). All schools require interviews and those interviews are factored into the decision to admit an applicant but are not the only factor (in other words, going into the interview some applicants are higher ranked than others and that plays a role in admission decisions).

Schools differ in the size of the committee, the weight the committee gives to various aspects of the application/interview, and the timing with which decisions are released. Schools also differ in geographic location and mission which plays a role in what a committee might be looking for in an applicant.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 5 users
Ha! As if getting into an Ivy League caliber school and performing solidly is easier than any alternative.

It also does not answer the question.

In essence, all adcoms are the same and all are different. Things can even change from one year to the next. What does not change and what is universal is that the ultimate decisions must be made by a committee made up of medical school faculty (this is required for accreditation). All schools require interviews and those interviews are factored into the decision to admit an applicant but are not the only factor (in other words, going into the interview some applicants are higher ranked than others and that plays a role in admission decisions).

Schools differ in the size of the committee, the weight the committee gives to various aspects of the application/interview, and the timing with which decisions are released. Schools also differ in geographic location and mission which plays a role in what a committee might be looking for in an applicant.
Thank you so much for the detailed response and addressing the question, I really appreciate it!

The key ingredient in both paths is luck. In my experience, if you have 5 or more II’s at t20’s, then your app is truly outstanding. That means your getting into a t20 is almost mandated based on your strength. I would surmise that 20% of t20 matriculants fall into this category.

Last edited:
The key ingredient in both paths is luck. In my experience, if you have 5 or more II’s at t20’s, then your app is truly outstanding. That means your getting into a t20 is almost mandated based on your strength. I would surmise that 20% of t20 matriculants fall into this category.
Interesting response!! How did you arrive at 5 or more?