1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

In M2. Should I do Bros instead of Zanki?

Discussion in 'USMLE and COMLEX' started by Frogger27, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So its almost November of second year... I take boards in June.

I would like to start use anki to begin reviewing topics already learned and add the new ones during M2.

I have zanki downloaded; however, it is such a large deck I am not sure if it would be smart to try to finish all of this before dedicated. Should I use bros instead? I know that zanki is superior in the amount of cards, but I feel Bro's may be more manageable given my time frame.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I would do the lightyear deck instead of bros. Bros is a bit outdated IMO.

Syncrohnize and Frogger27 like this.
  4. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    What does light year consist of? FA, pathoma, etc?

5. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It's BnB. Or you can do the Zanki deck and take out the phys cards, or only do the Micro, Pharm, and Path and use other sources to supplement the other stuff.

6. Doctor Brk

Medical Student
    Zanki and LY are the same size tho so it doesnt make a change for OP. Bros has a newer version somewhere on reddit

7. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Zanki has about 28k total and LY is 21k. I downloaded both and then got rid of LY

8. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah not too much of a difference between Zanki and light year in terms of size. Still debating on what to do but need to decide soon before it gets too late :thinking:

9. Doctor Brk

Medical Student
    If u want a smalled deck try the newest version of bros, its somewhere on the reddit anki subreddit. If you want a pathoma deck try Dukes, condensed but smaller and its still good.

10. Doctor Brk

Medical Student
  11. Doctor Brk

Medical Student
    I have the Osmosis version of Bros since i have a prime osmosis account, it has 16k cards and they update it regularly which is nice.

12. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    How do you like osmosis? Pros/Cons? Thanks!

13. Doctor Brk

Medical Student
    Osmosis is really nice. The study planner and the workspace features help me a lot balancing lectures and step1 studying. Plus they told me they will finish the pharma video collection by December which means the osmosis video bank will complete when it comes to physio, path and pharma. I honestly really like it and im glad i chose it over firecracker, some questions they have can be meh but most questions are good. And the updated bros deck they have is really nice, and you can add your own cards which is cool. You can try it for two weeks and see if you like it, and if u do like it you can email them and ask for a promo code which im sure they will give , they gave me one but it was during halloween so idk if they gave it to me because i asked or they gave it to me since it was spooky season but im sure if u ask them they would help u out since osmosis is tryna compete with the big dogs

14. Doctor Brk

Medical Student
    And the videos are really good, especially if u like the Khan academy style of videos which i love

15. EspressoDrip42

EspressoDrip42 “I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring.”
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i would do Zanki and skip the phys decks.. that's what i'm doing and it's been working great. I'm able to make big progress during my second year.

16. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are you doing micro and pharm?

17. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Micro and pharm are a must. Bugs and drugs.

Frogger27 likes this.
  18. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    These are taught horribly at my school. Planning on watching all the sketchy micro/pharm from previous blocks over winter break, but will add them to my anki deck in mean time

19. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Which micro deck do you use? I downloaded this lolnotacop deck which is like 6k cards. Not sure if there are better decks out there or if I should use this one

20. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

lolnotacop is the most comprehensive micro deck, and zanki pharm is the most comprehensive pharm deck. Both follow sketchy videos and have the associated sketches. If you are feeling lazy you can opt for Pepper micro and pharm, but if you have the time you should do zanki and lolnotacop.

AnatomyGrey12 and Frogger27 like this.
  21. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That’s the deck I have. I swapped it out for the one that came in Zanki. It’s money, and the most comprehensive micro deck out there. Agree that Zanki pharm is gold. The pharm I get right on question banks is the stuff I’ve either seen the sketchy vid for or done cards for.

22. EspressoDrip42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I use the Pepper Micro deck based on Sketchy and Zanki pharm as well as the pepper pharm deck.

Haven't even heard of this lolnotacop deck. Looks appealing. Is the micro one for that sorted with hierarchical tags? Could i set it up to do the cards for certain bugs as I make my way through all of sketchy?

23. EspressoDrip42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh wow, nevermind. Just downloaded it. It's all already organized. Now I'm torn.. I've such good progress on the pepper micro deck ahhhh

24. EspressoDrip42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe I'll start using it for the antimicrobials that the zanki pharm deck lacks and go from there. Thanks for this!!

25. EspressoDrip42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Side note... has this randomly ever happened to anyone with zanki?

upload_2018-11-9_6-54-45.png

I opened up a new subdeck and started my reviews and the background and font is all wonky. Can I revert this back to the original background and font?

26. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cool thanks guys, think I’ll do the lolnotacop deck.

I have about 15000 in 175 days (220 until Step 1). 6k or so of those will be added in the next 2 months. Think this will be manageable?

@EspressoDrip42 yeah that happened to be last night when doing my cards. No idea why/how

27. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Two days in and going over old biochem questions is absolutely soul crushing btw. Shows how little you retain if you don't review it for over a year

Gurby likes this.
  28. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Hypothetically, if you do 100 new a day and get every review for every card right, you will be at 600 review a day in 60 days, and 400 in 30 days I believe.

29. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Do you have the night mode add on?

30. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Im an anki noob, but is that doable/sustainable? Doesn't seem horrible but will take probably 3 hours or so to do 600 cards

31. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

Totally doable! itll take like 3-4 long and hard (;)) hours a day. i usually hit like 250-300 reviews an hour. there are many people who do faster and slower it all just depends. and then news can be completely variable. it takes me hella long to do 100 news because its usually my first time learning the material. but if youve already learned it you could probably do 100 news in an hour.

This all depends of course on how much time you spend outside of class going over class stuff. I do not think this is sustainable if you plan on attending all lectures as well as studying for said lectures very in depth

32. EspressoDrip42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I do. But it's toggled off. If I turn night mode on, it becomes dark (like the actual night mode), so it doesn't seem to be affected by night mode. Only seems to be happening with Zanki decks. So strange.

33. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

So for some reason when u download night-mode it rewrites the scripts for your cards. its evenworse on mobile, and sometimes the cards appear as blank and completely white. It is a known problem of night-mode.

i heard after a while the script starts deleting your zanki cards until you have none let, wasted hundreds of hours and fail step...

34. EspressoDrip42

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    can't tell if you're serious or not. I assume I should just delete the night mode addon?

35. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I dont think deleting night-mode will change it because when you install night-mode it literally changes the scripts of text.

I was kidding about the deleting your zanki cards,

but it does mess with colors and font text size and formatting typestuff, but it should NOT change any words on your cards.

LMK if deleting night-mode reverts it back to normal. I am curious but too scared to delete it tbh

EspressoDrip42 likes this.
  36. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey so I added all the micro cards to my master deck (~6k). I have almost 17k total. When I was doing my cards today (pretty much all new cards since I just started), it was 99% micro cards. I thought it would have been like 50% micro cards tops. Is there a way to shuffle the order of my cards so they come out more random/varied?

37. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    So i think when all your cards are in a parent deck, it does all reviews and news in alphebetical order of the decks. I personally leave every card suspended and just unsuspend the cards I want to do that day. I think that is what most people do.

38. Frogger27

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So you pick and choose which new cards you do per day from master deck? I thought the point of it was to have random review of all material

39. tealeafexplorer

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I pick and choose which New card i do for the day, but i do all my reviews every day. I personally like having my reviews chunked into like 50 cardio reviews, 50 pulm, 50 msk, 50 endo, and 100 Immuno, all chunked out so i can put pieces together easier.

Some people like their reviews completely random and i can see validity in tha too. all depends on what u want.

AnatomyGrey12 likes this.
  40. USMLE_Pro

USMLE_Pro USMLE Pro
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Medical Student
    Someone might bite my head off for saying this, but I NEVER used pre-made decks. I find they force you to memorize so much info that you don't need to memorize to get questions correct. I made my own Anki flashcards based on my UWorld and NBME incorrects, and it worked out really well for me as well as others whom I've recommend it to.

Gurby likes this.