In need of advice.

Started by LeSamf
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LeSamf

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
So I've been lurking on these forums for a few months now but just very recently created an account. As you probably already know, I am interested in becoming a doctor. Before I present my case, I'd like to give you a little background information.

Due to my parent's issues with the public school system, I was homeschooled. However I did not complete the 10th grade. Instead, desiring to get away from home as quickly as possible, I talked to a Marine Corps recruiter that basically printed out a "diploma" for my parents to sign. Six months later I was stepping onto the yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego, CA.

I spent the next five years in the marines as a helicopter mechanic and crew chief. Multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as some cooler places in the world. I don't regret the decision to enlist for a second but, looking back, I sometimes wonder if I'd have done it had I known what I wanted to do with my life at that age.

I was honorably discharged from the military and took some time to see more of the world. Two years passed rather quickly and I ultimately came to the decision that I'd actually like to use my educational benefits. The only problem being that there I was twenty-seven years old without a GED or ACT. So I took the GED and ACT.

I got into a university. Originally I had majored in criminal justice but after a semester I realized it wasnt what I wanted to do. A family member who's an FNP told me to look into nursing.

Fast forwarding to the future,
I'm pretty ashamed to admit that I havent been the greatest student. I have a cGPA of 3.12 and (although I havent taken many science classes) a sGPA of 2.9. I have 7 Cs and 2 Fs weighing down my stats. Also, I dont have any ECs outside of thousands of hours of paid clinical exposure.

I don't believe in making excuses so I'm not going to peddle them. the simple, painful answer is that I didnt try hard enough. Between being in debt up to my shoulders and having to work a lot to pay bills as well as provide for a child, I just stopped trying. For example, one semester I had to choose between work and a histology final. Even after BSing my way to an incomplete grade in THAT class, I wound up with an F because I didnt even try to take the final the following semester.

I've done nothing but work 2 jobs for the last 4 years while taking the prereqs for nursing programs.

One of those jobs being an overnight ED/floor tech/cna position, I've come to respect and, in some cases, befriend the doctors at one of my local hospitals who've tried to encourage me to try to go to medical school.

So, anyway, to wrap this essay up, I'm pretty sure any chances of getting into an MD program are in the trash heap but I'm wanting to know if DO is possible IF I can improve my gpa then go the postbacc/SMP route. By my own calculations, I'd need to ace, and I mean absolutely slay, 60 hours of upper level science classes to have a shot at an SMP. Orrrr do you all think I should just accept my losses and role with the nursing program?

I very greatly appreciate any direction given.

Respectfully,
LeSamf.
 
DO is still possible, read the link below, Goro is an ADCOM at a DO school.

 
Not commenting on your chances, but rather study habits. In home schooling, you probably didn't get exposed to a variety of ways to study. So your current methods might not be the best suited to you (probably not considering you have struggled in public schooling systems since). So I would work on that -- there are books about study systems, but also learning counsellors who might be able to give you tips.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone,
So I've been lurking on these forums for a few months now but just very recently created an account. As you probably already know, I am interested in becoming a doctor. Before I present my case, I'd like to give you a little background information.

Due to my parent's issues with the public school system, I was homeschooled. However I did not complete the 10th grade. Instead, desiring to get away from home as quickly as possible, I talked to a Marine Corps recruiter that basically printed out a "diploma" for my parents to sign. Six months later I was stepping onto the yellow footprints at MCRD San Diego, CA.

I spent the next five years in the marines as a helicopter mechanic and crew chief. Multiple tours to Iraq and Afghanistan, as well as some cooler places in the world. I don't regret the decision to enlist for a second but, looking back, I sometimes wonder if I'd have done it had I known what I wanted to do with my life at that age.

I was honorably discharged from the military and took some time to see more of the world. Two years passed rather quickly and I ultimately came to the decision that I'd actually like to use my educational benefits. The only problem being that there I was twenty-seven years old without a GED or ACT. So I took the GED and ACT.

I got into a university. Originally I had majored in criminal justice but after a semester I realized it wasnt what I wanted to do. A family member who's an FNP told me to look into nursing.

Fast forwarding to the future,
I'm pretty ashamed to admit that I havent been the greatest student. I have a cGPA of 3.12 and (although I havent taken many science classes) a sGPA of 2.9. I have 7 Cs and 2 Fs weighing down my stats. Also, I dont have any ECs outside of thousands of hours of paid clinical exposure.

I don't believe in making excuses so I'm not going to peddle them. the simple, painful answer is that I didnt try hard enough. Between being in debt up to my shoulders and having to work a lot to pay bills as well as provide for a child, I just stopped trying. For example, one semester I had to choose between work and a histology final. Even after BSing my way to an incomplete grade in THAT class, I wound up with an F because I didnt even try to take the final the following semester.

I've done nothing but work 2 jobs for the last 4 years while taking the prereqs for nursing programs.

One of those jobs being an overnight ED/floor tech/cna position, I've come to respect and, in some cases, befriend the doctors at one of my local hospitals who've tried to encourage me to try to go to medical school.

So, anyway, to wrap this essay up, I'm pretty sure any chances of getting into an MD program are in the trash heap but I'm wanting to know if DO is possible IF I can improve my gpa then go the postbacc/SMP route. By my own calculations, I'd need to ace, and I mean absolutely slay, 60 hours of upper level science classes to have a shot at an SMP. Orrrr do you all think I should just accept my losses and role with the nursing program?

I very greatly appreciate any direction given.

Respectfully,
LeSamf.
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Semper Fi!

Chances for DO impossible to say without an MCAT score. Your sGPA is lethal at my school and many others. Honestly, no med school is doing you any favors if you're at high risk for failing out.

Read this:
 
DO is still possible, read the link below, Goro is an ADCOM at a DO school.

Thank you for this. Very appreciated.
 
Not commenting on your chances, but rather study habits. In home schooling, you probably didn't get exposed to a variety of ways to study. So your current methods might not be the best suited to you (probably not considering you have struggled in public schooling systems since). So I would work on that -- there are books about study systems, but also learning counsellors who might be able to give you tips.
You hit the nail on its proverbial head. When I started undergrad I absolutely struggled to make good grades in anything other than general education requirements. It took me a long time to figure things out. My most recent work has been good, all As and 1 B for the last two semester BUT I've been restricted to 2-3 classes due to work. Taking 15 next semester to see how things go.
Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate it.
 
First off, many thanks for your service to our country. Semper Fi!

Chances for DO impossible to say without an MCAT score. Your sGPA is lethal at my school and many others. Honestly, no med school is doing you any favors if you're at high risk for failing out.

Read this:
Thank you, Goro.
From what I've read on here, doing well in a post-bacc/smp is an absolute must for me if I hope for even the slightest chance.
I have considered beginning a 3-4 month study plan for the MCAT but am thinking that my priority at this point should be nailing down the post-bacc/smp.

Which brings me to another question: would it be better for me to graduate as is and attempt to do a DIY-PB or would it be feasible to extend my time in UG in order to take higher level science classes? I ask because I live in an area of Missouri where the closest formal PB program, as far as I am aware, is KCUMB's COB and I have too many responsibilities where I'm at to realistically consider moving there.
The problem with my current school is that, because this is a smaller rural area, the upper level science classes fill quickly during senior registration.
 
First of all thank you for your service, no easy task to have multiple deployments. I think there is still a chance but you would have to either do a post Bac or show some recent classes that are solid grades. For example retaking some anatomy or histology and acing them. If you can show you can do advance science courses and succeed, an admission committee may overlook your sGPA. This will also give you an opportunity to build a strong study method, because under grad classes are cheaper than failing out of Med school. The other factor is, you will have to show a strong showing on MCAT (even though there is little correlation to how you will actually do in Med school lol). Lastly, you will have to apply to schools that have lower admission standards and make sure your application is in the same week that they open. Because, early on schools schools are a bit less selective to try and fill seats. You may have to take a chance with a newer school too. Good luck!
 
You've got a good chance for DO IF:

- correct your study habits, and ensure you prioritize school in some way (i.e. don't work to get an incomplete and the not show up later to finally complete the course when you have the opportunity, for instance)
- get both cGPA and sGPA up (which shouldn't be too difficult coming from a 3.1/2.9 if you get your studying together and can put in the time/work)
- get a good MCAT, probably a 505+ considering the GPA (depending how high you can get that) - the higher the better
- maybe sprinkle in some non-clinical volunteering or research

Semper Fi
 
You've got a good chance for DO IF:

- correct your study habits, and ensure you prioritize school in some way (i.e. don't work to get an incomplete and the not show up later to finally complete the course when you have the opportunity, for instance)
- get both cGPA and sGPA up (which shouldn't be too difficult coming from a 3.1/2.9 if you get your studying together and can put in the time/work)
- get a good MCAT, probably a 505+ considering the GPA (depending how high you can get that) - the higher the better
- maybe sprinkle in some non-clinical volunteering or research

Semper Fi

Thank you. I wish I would have joined this community earlier. So far I've received better advice here than what my school's premed advisers could give.
I've got a long way to go, and a lot to learn, but I feel like maybe this is the first solid step.

Semper Fi.
 
First of all thank you for your service, no easy task to have multiple deployments. I think there is still a chance but you would have to either do a post Bac or show some recent classes that are solid grades. For example retaking some anatomy or histology and acing them. If you can show you can do advance science courses and succeed, an admission committee may overlook your sGPA. This will also give you an opportunity to build a strong study method, because under grad classes are cheaper than failing out of Med school. The other factor is, you will have to show a strong showing on MCAT (even though there is little correlation to how you will actually do in Med school lol). Lastly, you will have to apply to schools that have lower admission standards and make sure your application is in the same week that they open. Because, early on schools schools are a bit less selective to try and fill seats. You may have to take a chance with a newer school too. Good luck!

Thank you so much for the advice! I was feeling pretty lousy earlier but after reading all of the kind responses here I'm starting to feel fairly optimistic that there's a chance IF I can get my s**t together.
Much appreciated!