Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everybody, thanks for reading this and giving advices. I really appreciate it.
I just graduated from pharmacy school 05/2021 and have decided to go to medical school as I finally figured out what I want to do with my life after so many years ( I am 31 yo)
I am needing helps to see what should I do in general to prepare for my application for 2022-2023 cycle. Due to family's financial situation, I will need to work for 2 years to support my family (mom and brother) so that's the reason I did not apply during pharmacy school
(1) MCAT: I am planning to start studying for MCAT as soon as I get my RPh license in August/September and I am planning on taking it next year in March/April 2022
(2) Academic stats:
- Got my BS in Biochemistry (cGPA 3.53) in 2013: I have my up and down during my undergrad due to family's situation and it is whatever it is.
- PharmD (cGPA 3.68)
- I did calculate my cGPA (all degrees): 3.6 and sGPA (all degrees): 3.48 based on 1 of template provided on SDN forums (I included all the courses that I repeated)
- 3 peer-review publications in the field of material chemistry
- 2 small research grants awarded back in my undergrad
- 2 regional awards for presentation of my research projects during undergrad
- 6 conference presentations of my research projects
- Dean's list 3x in undergrad
(3) Clinical experience and EC
- All my clinical experience so far are pharmacy-related: 3 years working as a pharmacy technician, 3 years working as a pharmacist intern and I will be working as a pharmacist for another 2 years. During my last year of pharmacy school, I also have at least 720 working/rounding with physicians on Acute Inpatient (Family Med, Internal Med) and Infectious diseases at the hospital/primary care clinic. So far, I have only been able to shadow a physician for about 50 hours but I can spend more time doing it (just need to figure out my work schedule since I'll be working at a busy community pharmacy)
- Volunteers: I have for years helping out with a small organization with my friends where we fundraise and help deaf/blind children and young adolescents in Vietnam and it's still going on. I also have about 50 hours volunteer at a hospital, help with COVID testing/vaccines clinic. I feel like I need to do more volunteer hours.
- EC: I used to mentor high school and freshman students to do research, TA experience. I work most of the time since I need to support my family and I never regret that.
I am planning to do primacy care medicine (FM, IM), plus I love the care philosophy of osteopathic medicine (the school I went to have both pharmacy and DO schools) so I will apply to mostly DO programs and a few MD programs.
If there's anything I should do to prepare and strengthen my application, please help me out.
I just graduated from pharmacy school 05/2021 and have decided to go to medical school as I finally figured out what I want to do with my life after so many years ( I am 31 yo)
I am needing helps to see what should I do in general to prepare for my application for 2022-2023 cycle. Due to family's financial situation, I will need to work for 2 years to support my family (mom and brother) so that's the reason I did not apply during pharmacy school
(1) MCAT: I am planning to start studying for MCAT as soon as I get my RPh license in August/September and I am planning on taking it next year in March/April 2022
(2) Academic stats:
- Got my BS in Biochemistry (cGPA 3.53) in 2013: I have my up and down during my undergrad due to family's situation and it is whatever it is.
- PharmD (cGPA 3.68)
- I did calculate my cGPA (all degrees): 3.6 and sGPA (all degrees): 3.48 based on 1 of template provided on SDN forums (I included all the courses that I repeated)
- 3 peer-review publications in the field of material chemistry
- 2 small research grants awarded back in my undergrad
- 2 regional awards for presentation of my research projects during undergrad
- 6 conference presentations of my research projects
- Dean's list 3x in undergrad
(3) Clinical experience and EC
- All my clinical experience so far are pharmacy-related: 3 years working as a pharmacy technician, 3 years working as a pharmacist intern and I will be working as a pharmacist for another 2 years. During my last year of pharmacy school, I also have at least 720 working/rounding with physicians on Acute Inpatient (Family Med, Internal Med) and Infectious diseases at the hospital/primary care clinic. So far, I have only been able to shadow a physician for about 50 hours but I can spend more time doing it (just need to figure out my work schedule since I'll be working at a busy community pharmacy)
- Volunteers: I have for years helping out with a small organization with my friends where we fundraise and help deaf/blind children and young adolescents in Vietnam and it's still going on. I also have about 50 hours volunteer at a hospital, help with COVID testing/vaccines clinic. I feel like I need to do more volunteer hours.
- EC: I used to mentor high school and freshman students to do research, TA experience. I work most of the time since I need to support my family and I never regret that.
I am planning to do primacy care medicine (FM, IM), plus I love the care philosophy of osteopathic medicine (the school I went to have both pharmacy and DO schools) so I will apply to mostly DO programs and a few MD programs.
If there's anything I should do to prepare and strengthen my application, please help me out.