In NEED of serious guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllSmiles75

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just graduated with a b.s. in biology but have a horrible undergrad gpa. Pretty embarrased to say, but a 3.0cum and 2.4 science gpa when you average in both grades for class I have retaken and all other science, math grades. I really wanted to get into a dental school for the 2010 year. That would mean taking the DAT before then and trying anything else possible to get accepted. Any recommendations on what I should do??? If I start a formal post-bac or masters in fall 2009, will they look at my grades even if I want to get in for dental 2010? or will it be too late by then because apps would have been sent in a long time before that?? I am in a real dilemna/crisis and have no idea where to turn. PLEASE HELP!!

Members don't see this ad.

I just graduated with a b.s. in biology but have a horrible undergrad gpa. Pretty embarrased to say, but a 3.0cum and 2.4 science gpa when you average in both grades for class I have retaken and all other science, math grades. I really wanted to get into a dental school for the 2010 year. That would mean taking the DAT before then and trying anything else possible to get accepted. Any recommendations on what I should do??? If I start a formal post-bac or masters in fall 2009, will they look at my grades even if I want to get in for dental 2010? or will it be too late by then because apps would have been sent in a long time before that?? I am in a real dilemna/crisis and have no idea where to turn. PLEASE HELP!!

Your science GPA is quite low. I would suggest doing a post bacc or grad program. You might need 2 years for remediation (so you'd have 2 years from time of graduation and time of dental school matriculation). SOME dental schools will want to see your fall grades, so even if you turn in your apps really early, you might get rejected from a lot of other schools already. I would wait. Save your money, and save yourself from the reapplication statements.

If you get 25+ on your DAT, you MIGHT have a chance, but I doubt it. I can tell you from experience that 22/22/20 and 3.0 GPA were not good enough when the app was submitted on May 17.

Good luck. Study hard for the DAT.

I'm sorry to hear about your grades. I know it has to be disappointing to realize that your years of hard work have amounted to what you feel are low grades, but you shouldn't give up hope. The person who posted above is right, however. It may take you more than one year of graduate studies to raise your science GPA significantly.

Although your GPA may be low, a large majority of the way that AdCom members will perceive you depends on your intangibles. For instance, did you have to work throughout college? Are you a single parent? Did you have to pay your way through school? Are you a minority? Do you live in a medically underserved area? What healthcare experiences do you have? The answers to these questions will determine quite a bit.

Also, it goes without saying the DAT will be huge for you. You must score well into the 90th percentile on each section to give yourself a chance at being accepted next year. At this stage your goal is not impossible, but it is improbable. Time will tell how well you do on your DAT and also how well you do in grad school. Only worry about that which is in your power my friend. God Bless.

Your timeline is off. If you're getting into dental school, it will probably be a year after you would like to. Apply in 2010 w/ your 3.8+ biology SMP and 20+ DAT and try to get in for the 2011 year, and you prob will have a shot. They won't ignore your poor undergrad GPA, but a 3.8+ Masters GPA (4.0 if you can do it) will give you a chance.