In Need of Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPT101213

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been a member on the board for several years I just created a new name for confidentiality. I have always received good advice from members of this forum so I figure this would be a good place to ask once again. I am currently in my 3rd semester of PT school and I was placed on academic probation at the start of this current semester in Aug. I was placed on probation because I have received 2 less than B- grades in the program up to this point. However, I did have high B's in the classes, but at my PT school if you don't maintain an 80% avg on exams your letter grade gets dropped a full grade so my B's got dropped to C's as a result. In both of the classes I did bad on 1 exam that I couldn't score high enough on the rest to bring my avg up to 80%, one of the classes I missed the 80% by .1% and they wouldn't round up my grade. I have done well on all practical exams high B's and A's. I have a 3.45 gpa in the program, and have all A's in all of my other classes besides my 2 C's. I have always done well in college my my undergrad gpa was 3.65 and my pre-req gpa was almost the same. The motivation is there, the strong work ethic I have always had is there, and I currently do not work so almost all of my time is devoted to PT school. I have met with faculty since being placed on probation to try to adjust study habits etc. After my first round of exams this semester we had 7 exams/practicals in 2 weeks and I got A's on all exams except one class I got 70% on an exam so now I am in the same situation as before. Being in this position has put tremendous amounts of stress on me, and I am not sure what to do in my position. If I get one more less than B- grade I will be dismissed from the program. I honestly have no idea what I would do if I wasn't a PT I have tried/looked into numerous careers already, my undergrad degree is useless for finding a job, and I am in my late 20's so time for me is running out to keep changing my mind. I am sorry this is so long I am just trying to give the facts so I can get advice on my situation. Keeping in mind that I still have a lot of undergrad debt plus 3 semesters of PT school tuition so I have invested a lot of time and money in trying to become a PT. Basically, I just want to know what others would do in my situation or any advice or other ideas that I didn't think of. If I am unable to get above the 80% avg or close to it on my next exam for the class should I withdraw from the program instead of being dismissed? Also, would I even have a chance at getting accepted into another PT school after withdrawing from one? Or is this a sign that I should just look into a different career because I can't make it in PT school? Also, considering the income to debt ratio for a PT would it even be wise of me to try and apply to more schools and accumulate more debt on top of my 3 semesters of PT loans, and undergrad already? Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Work harder. Go out there and destroy your exams. Become a PT. Don't ever think that you can't do it, because you can.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, would I even have a chance at getting accepted into another PT school after withdrawing from one? Or is this a sign that I should just look into a different career because I can't make it in PT school? Also, considering the income to debt ratio for a PT would it even be wise of me to try and apply to more schools and accumulate more debt on top of my 3 semesters of PT loans, and undergrad already?!

One of my classmates recently got ejected from my program. She called other PT schools and asked if they would accept her. Some of them said yes, so you have hope. Just be strategic. You need to explain really well why you were ejected from the first program. I don't know what else you can do. It seems you're doing really well. How are you classmates doing? I think your school is too strict. A C in graduate school is like getting a B or B+ in undergraduate school. Good grades are hard to earn.

You should apply again if PT is the only thing you want to do. Otherwise, you might want to consider becoming a nurse practitioner or a physician assistant. Whatever you do, do not go to medical school or become a personal trainer.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
DPT101213, you can do it. Just buckle down really hard and ace the rest of the exams in that class. See what you can do to optimize your studying...study in groups if you have to, ask for help from classmates, use more resources, etc.... I know it is easier said than done but it sounds that you are a really good student who just had some bad luck...dont let it get you down!!

DPT101213,

I don't know the particulars of your situation, but I saw five people fail out/voluntarily withdraw from the program during our second semester. I can share with you what I learned from seeing those stories play out.

1. Sometimes study habits were at the heart of the issue. It wasn't just an issue of a person putting in the time, it was about effectively using that time. Prioritizing what materials to study, learning to anticipate test questions. Staying away from people who study ineffectively. Leveraging faculty office hours to clarify points of confusion.

2. There is a downward spiral that must be escaped. There were a couple students who had a rough relationship with one of our primary professors during those first couple semesters. They got the message beginning about the 2nd week: you may not have what it takes to be a PT, and you should save yourself time and money and drop the program. This was not a message delivered via subtext or body language. It was made explicit during office hours. It got into their heads to varying degrees. One student dropped the program. One dug in and self-destructed during finals (unable to sleep, unable to focus).

3. It's important to come to terms with our powerlessness as students. Sometimes faculty are unprofessional. Sometimes they bring their own emotional bull**** to the classroom and single people out. They can create a hostile learning environment. They can teach material they aren't expert in. They can ask poorly constructed questions on exams. And what can we do about it? Review them at the end of the semester. That's about it. But by that point in time what's done is done. It only potentially impacts future classes. We are powerless as students. I think that failing to accept this on a deep level caused some students to self destruct. I know it was difficult for me to internalize, but once I did things became less bad.

4. Maintaining good relationships with faculty is key. They don't want to hear how the system is unfair. They've worked with patients with TBI, amputations, metastasized cancers , cerebral palsy, and on and on. Arguing points is only going to burn bridges. They want to see students solemnly recognizing errors and responding to them so they can become good PTs (hopefully). If they are pulling for you to succeed, then all that arbitrary power they wield can swing in support of the student and materialize in unexpected ways.

5. Failing out / withdrawing isn't necessarily the end. Of the five who left the program, two came back to start again with the next class. Two applied to another school. One let go of the idea of becoming a PT. Those who came back had done what they could to cultivate good relationships. Things seem to be going well for them. Those who applied to another program had deeper conflicts with the faculty (which I understand)....I think they were delayed yet another year.

I wish you the best as you fight the good fight. I hope it doesn't come down to repeating the year or going someplace else. But know that if it does come to that, it isn't the end of your life or your professional pursuits. Talk with the faculty and see if they can put you in touch with a student who dealt with the same things you are dealing with, maybe repeated a year, but went on to become a PT.

Best.

Reactions: 2 users
2. There is a downward spiral that must be escaped. There were a couple students who had a rough relationship with one of our primary professors during those first couple semesters. They got the message beginning about the 2nd week: you may not have what it takes to be a PT, and you should save yourself time and money and drop the program. This was not a message delivered via subtext or body language. It was made explicit during office hours. It got into their heads to varying degrees. One student dropped the program. One dug in and self-destructed during finals (unable to sleep, unable to focus).

That is just a tragedy IMO. Every student that drops out of a PT program means that there is some other poor slob out there somewhere who was just dying to go to PT school but didn't get it, and there is a seat now sitting empty that they could have had. That totally sucks.

Thank you everyone for the advice and comments I really appreciate it. I will take everything into consideration and continue to give it everything I have to try and get out of the current situation I am in.

That is just a tragedy IMO. Every student that drops out of a PT program means that there is some other poor slob out there somewhere who was just dying to go to PT school but didn't get it, and there is a seat now sitting empty that they could have had. That totally sucks.

I think that is a bit of an overstated characterization. Each student is accepted or not to a school; an accepted student does not 'take a seat' from someone who 'really wants it.' At the time of acceptance, most applicants think PT is the profession they would like to enter. But circumstances change in school. We do not lose a lot of students...maybe 6 in the 7 years I have been at the University. And it is unfortunate. But no one did anything malicious. Either grades, health, or other circumstances told the students that PT was not for them.

I wasn't implying that anyone did anything malicious. I was meaning to refer to the faculty members that @AlanWattsBlues described who straight up told first years you don't have what it takes and you need to drop out, and then appeared to make efforts to ensure that such came to pass. To me, that sucks.

I wasn't implying that anyone did anything malicious. I was meaning to refer to the faculty members that @AlanWattsBlues described who straight up told first years you don't have what it takes and you need to drop out, and then appeared to make efforts to ensure that such came to pass. To me, that sucks.
Oh yeah, the faculty are actively working against students, then that does indeed suck. Sadly though, you do not always know from the application and interview that students are not going to make it. An imperfect system for sure...

Ho. I'm the poor slob dying to go to PT school :)

Oh yeah, the faculty are actively working against students, then that does indeed suck. Sadly though, you do not always know from the application and interview that students are not going to make it. An imperfect system for sure...
I think the ones who don't make it are just not ready for the workload and effort that it takes to succeed. I think a program would be best served by making certain that a prospective student knows exactly what it takes to succeed. I would write up an example of what a day in the life of a PT student entails and post it on my programs site. I would also tailor interview questions to measure a prospective students willingness to work their hindend off: . If I am fortunate enough to get into a program I am going to keep a video journal of my experience. I may write a book after PT school or I may just post the whole video journal online to help future students.