In need of urgent advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUGirl123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Planning on applying to pharmacy school as a transfer to a 2+4 program. However, I will need an extra year of undergrad before I can apply because I am behind on my prereqs. My GPA is a 2.8 but I haven't done too well this semester. Got 2 C's two C+'s and a B. Also, I have two D's on my transcript but re took one of those classes and got a B+ and will be re taking the other class this coming semester. I will be interning at a hospital pharmacy this summer as well. Do you think I can make it into pharmacy school by the time I apply for Fall 2015 admission? I know I need to significantly bring up my gap by then and have more outside activities other than an internship. Do you have any suggestions as to what to participate in? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So you want to get into a 2+4 pharm program? Or do you mean you transferred to a 4 year uni after 2 years in CC? Because I thought 2+4 pharmD programs are only for high school students.

And if you're planning to apply in Fall 2014 (to enter in 2015), I suggest you start that hospital volunteering now as opposed to summer 2014. Because by the time you apply, you would only have a few months of experience volunteering. Start doing more internships and activities now. Focus on your classes to improve your GPA and prepare for the PCAT. Join different organizations based on your interest and get a clinical experience if possible (that really helps with seeing if it's a right career for you)

2+4 as in transferring after 2 years of undergrad (from the university I attend now) into a 4 year pharm program. 0-6 programs are only for high school students and as for my internship I will start around may and continue into the next school year and throughout so I will have more experience working other than the summer but thank you!

Your GPA is a little low... what classes did you get Cs in? Are they pre-reqs? Are they science courses? How is your PCAT score? What schools are you thinking of applying to? These are the types of question you need to think about (especially the last question).
Having pharmacy volunteer experience is helpful, but you will definitely need to boost up your gpa a lot more the next coming year. But don't give up! Many schools focus on the last 1-2 years so if they see an upward trend of your grades (if you start to get straight As and Bs next year) you may have a great chance. And do very strong on your PCAT. Your PCAT score can make the difference since you have a low GPA. If they see a high PCAT score, they see potential (and are more forgiving to certain bad grades).
However, if you get a mediocre PCAT score along with your low GPA, you will need a lot more extracurricular activities than just volunteering at the pharmacy.