Pcat Advice Urgent!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yordy

Reaction score
Hello everyone, how are you?
Please I need advice,
I’m struggling in Critical reading, I take too much time reading the passages and answering questions, i would like to know how you guys do, any recommendations?
Also for Bio and Chemistry Processes, how you guys do,you read the questions first without reading the passages?
Now for quantative people have told me just to practice and practice, what you guys think?
I’m studying by Dr Collins 2018 and Kaplan 2018.
I feel very bad since I think I don’t know anything. I have my Pcat on October 31.
Thank u in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

If you are getting at least 80% on the dr collins practice exams, you should be good.
Only way to get faster at reading is to read more. There really isn't any good strategies here since its going to be completely dependent on your reading skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone, how are you?
Please I need advice,
I’m struggling in Critical reading, I take too much time reading the passages and answering questions, i would like to know how you guys do, any recommendations?
Also for Bio and Chemistry Processes, how you guys do,you read the questions first without reading the passages?
Now for quantative people have told me just to practice and practice, what you guys think?
I’m studying by Dr Collins 2018 and Kaplan 2018.
I feel very bad since I think I don’t know anything. I have my Pcat on October 31.
Thank u in advance.

For chem and bio, some questions can be answered without reading the passage. So, read the questions and read the passage if needed. Expect something similar to the pcat online practice test for quantitative, but a bit harder on the real one. For reading, I advise you to read the questions first and go back to the passage and read the relevant paragraphs for the question (you prob don't need advice on reading from someone who scored 61 lol)

If you are getting at least 80% on the dr collins practice exams, you should be good.
Only way to get faster at reading is to read more. There really isn't any good strategies here since its going to be completely dependent on your reading skills.
Thank you very much
Thank you very much

Members don't see this ad :)
For chem and bio, some questions can be answered without reading the passage. So, read the questions and read the passage if needed. Expect something similar to the pcat online practice test for quantitative, but a bit harder on the real one. For reading, I advise you to read the questions first and go back to the passage and read the relevant paragraphs for the question (you prob don't need advice on reading from someone who scored 61 lol)
Thank you very much

Do you think if I study by Dr Collins for Bio and CHM I will be ready for the test?

Do you think if I study by Dr Collins for Bio and CHM I will be ready for the test?

I used Dr. Collins 2016 and I scored 94 for bio and 96 for chem. I did terrible on the reading section (40) and math section (67), but my composite score came out to 86. I think the chem and bio sections are weighted more, so I would focus on those.

I used Dr. Collins 2016 and I scored 94 for bio and 96 for chem. I did terrible on the reading section (40) and math section (67), but my composite score came out to 86. I think the chem and bio sections are weighted more, so I would focus on those.
Oh super nice, congratulations on your scores, so you just did the practice test from Dr. Collins? I’m having difficulties with the passage based question for chemistry and bio, how you answer the questions for that part, any strategies that you can recomend me? I have Dr. Collins 2018. I will accept any advice on how your study. Thank you.

Oh super nice, congratulations on your scores, so you just did the practice test from Dr. Collins? I’m having difficulties with the passage based question for chemistry and bio, how you answer the questions for that part, any strategies that you can recomend me? I have Dr. Collins 2018. I will accept any advice on how your study. Thank you.

Thanks! Yes, I solely used Dr. Collins. The package comes with review material and practice problems for each section. What I did was review each section while taking notes for topics I was unfamiliar with. Then I went and did the practice problems, treating them like the real test. After that, I went over the questions I got wrong/guessed on and went back to review those topics to make sure I understood them. For the passages, I would read the questions first because you may be able to answer them without having to dig for it in the passage. This was the case for me on the actual exam. I got a little anxious because there were a lot more passages then I was expecting, but once I scanned the questions, I realized I could answer them without reading the passage and this really saved me a lot of time.

When you're doing practice problems, make sure you're timing yourself too. For the quantitative section, I had 2 minutes remaining with 11 questions left to solve and I ended up guessing on those last set of questions. I recommend skipping problems that you're unsure of or that are time consuming and solve those at the end. If you're unsure of an answer, make an educated guess! It's better to try and guess an answer then to leave it blank. Hope this helps and good luck studying!

Thanks! Yes, I solely used Dr. Collins. The package comes with review material and practice problems for each section. What I did was review each section while taking notes for topics I was unfamiliar with. Then I went and did the practice problems, treating them like the real test. After that, I went over the questions I got wrong/guessed on and went back to review those topics to make sure I understood them. For the passages, I would read the questions first because you may be able to answer them without having to dig for it in the passage. This was the case for me on the actual exam. I got a little anxious because there were a lot more passages then I was expecting, but once I scanned the questions, I realized I could answer them without reading the passage and this really saved me a lot of time.

When you're doing practice problems, make sure you're timing yourself too. For the quantitative section, I had 2 minutes remaining with 11 questions left to solve and I ended up guessing on those last set of questions. I recommend skipping problems that you're unsure of or that are time consuming and solve those at the end. If you're unsure of an answer, make an educated guess! It's better to try and guess an answer then to leave it blank. Hope this helps and good luck studying!
Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it, it will help me a lot. I hope I can get a good score as you did. Let’s see. Thank you again. :)

May I ask when did you take your exam? And in the 2016 dr Collins there is an ecology chapter, but in the Kaplan 2018 there isn't, were there any ecology q's on the test? Also congrats on your score I hope I can do as well as you.

May I ask when did you take your exam? And in the 2016 dr Collins there is an ecology chapter, but in the Kaplan 2018 there isn't, were there any ecology q's on the test? Also congrats on your score I hope I can do as well as you.

I took my PCAT in September of this year. From what I can remember, the only thing worth knowing from the ecology section is taxonomy order. Kingdom > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species. I used a mneunomic to memorize it (King Phillip came over for good spaghetti).

Reactions: 1 users