In need some guidance...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lahe808

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone in SDN,

A little background about me:

I have graduated college 2 years ago with a cumulative GPA of 2.79. Long story short due to many unfortunate events that occurred while I was attending college, I was never able to give my 100% to my school work. But after I have graduated I started to work, did some orthopedic research for a year and got it published, shadowed for 50 hours. And now I am also doing some night class of upper devision science class at a UC school. And so far the two classes I have taken were both A's. But after a semester of doing this, I realized that it might be better to be a formal program instead of doing it informal, due to class availabilities.

So I was wondering if someone could shed some light in how to fix my bad gpa, and suggest programs that will help in getting into MD school. And I understand whatever ways I decide it will take time, money and effort. And I am willing to put all of that.

And up to this point I have not retaken any of the science class that I had bad grade in. Should I retake those classes as well.

I know some may suggest of going to DO school, and I have considered that option but due to family expectations, I would prefer MD schools.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some insights on any programs they have attended to go to medical school, and how much help it was for MCAT too.

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Calculate your AMCAS gpa (science and overall), then find out how many As you need for a 3.4 or above. The cost of pursuing MD may be nearly insurmountable due to the higher matriculant gpas and the lack of grade replacement, but it would be helpful to know where you're at. Retaking is required for either md or do if it's a prerequisite below a B (I believe).

I'm less experienced in this path, someone else will come along I'm sure, but it may require: classes to get your gpa above 3, enrollment in a full time SMP (that you need to pay a briefcase full of dough for, and knock it out of the park), and success on the MCAT before you can apply. If your family is footing the bill for this, that's one thing. If you're paying, DO may be cheaper and faster... Good luck!

See: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/horrendous-undergrad-postbac-smp-chances.1153709/

Last edited:
For MD if you have less than a C in any pre reqs you must retake. Retaking any other classes is pointless because they average grades so it won't help you that much.
I say for MD your best bet it to transition into an SMP and kill it. It's going to be expensive.
I know you said no DO for family expectations :rolleyes: But it is truly your best bet, they do grade replacement. Take your C or lower classes and viola, you're competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I know some may suggest of going to DO school, and I have considered that option but due to family expectations, I would prefer MD schools.
I'm just an undergrad but after graduating with a 2.79 I think your best (and possibly only) option for med school is DO... Even with grade replacement it might be a couple years before your GPA is where it needs to be for DO (3.0+).

The more important thing here though is to make 100% sure med school is for you. Your statement above doesn't sound healthy.

Hi everyone in SDN,

A little background about me:

I have graduated college 2 years ago with a cumulative GPA of 2.79. Long story short due to many unfortunate events that occurred while I was attending college, I was never able to give my 100% to my school work. But after I have graduated I started to work, did some orthopedic research for a year and got it published, shadowed for 50 hours. And now I am also doing some night class of upper devision science class at a UC school. And so far the two classes I have taken were both A's. But after a semester of doing this, I realized that it might be better to be a formal program instead of doing it informal, due to class availabilities.

So I was wondering if someone could shed some light in how to fix my bad gpa, and suggest programs that will help in getting into MD school. And I understand whatever ways I decide it will take time, money and effort. And I am willing to put all of that.

And up to this point I have not retaken any of the science class that I had bad grade in. Should I retake those classes as well.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me some insights on any programs they have attended to go to medical school, and how much help it was for MCAT too.

Thank you,

At some point you can't let your family dictate exactly what happens in your life, especially for major decisions that they clearly know nothing about (ie difference between DO and MD). I know in some cultures your parents have a lot of authority over their adult children (no idea what culture you're a part of), but seriously a difference of two letters when you're a practicing physician? Give me a break, you don't owe you family a completely meaningless amount of prestige. You should try to get the best GPA possible regardless, but I feel like someone saying this is going to end up in the Caribbean because they (or their family) think they're too good for DO.

Don't let your family put down DO and tell you that you're too good for it.

B/c well...you're not.

It will take a very long time to get your GPA above a 3.0 and you will need to do that before you can think of a SMP. I agree that most likely your only chance at med school is the DO route. But with your attitude that is dubious. Find a DO and shadow him/her. Read up on DO schools and philosophy. Your parents should go and do the same. Good luck on your long journey.

Hi everyone thank you for your inputs. I know some have said that I do not owe anything for my family and such. And I understand. But having a family of histories of everyone being a MD is hard to have a DO all of sudden. And in addition to that I don't only plan on practicing in America. I want to practice in Asia as well, and countries like Japan don't really have high opinions about DOs. Therefore, I am willing to take the risk and challenge that is ahead of me so I can at least try for MD schools.
So now, I am just thinking I should just continue either taking classes at UC school or be an actual post-bac (grade enhancement programs) so I can do SMP asap.

Thank you.

Not to start a war, but Asian applicants are slightly biased against as far as stats go. (you can read the threads on your own) In my estimation it would take you about 2-3 school years of 4.0 to get your GPA to where it would even be considered for an MD school. On top of that you would need an excellent MCAT score (but that is the easy part comparatively) Have you considered other career options? Reading between the lines it sounds like your parents are really pressuring you into medicine. If so don't let them do that it is your life. Best of luck to you.

seriously, DO is a pretty good option if you don't have a 3.7 gpa 30+mcat score.

You are not URM, and you are not disadvantaged, so you are not competitive for the UC academic enhancer programs. Your GPA is too low for most established SMPs, and they require a strong MCAT score anyway. In your shoes, I would finish out strong at the UC and then continue with a DIY postbacc. You can reevaluate your options once you have done both of those things successfully.