MPH In-Person or Online MPH? Program recommendations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

donuthut

Reaction score
Hi SDN community, I'm seeking advice on whether or not to pursue an in-person or online MPH as well as get specific school/program recommendations and opinions. If you have any advice/thoughts/feelings about your experiences online or in-person I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Concerns
  • I already work in fed PH (50-55k) proj support & coord, qual research, grow into proj mngmt
  • Many exec online MPH prog are very general, would be nice to focus if possible
  • PH salaries are generally lower so I want to make sure investment is worth it bc I'm older (~30)
  • Should the program have a thesis, or capstone, or applied practicum? Which is best?
Programs I've been looking at
  • JHU FT 11-month in-person MPH
  • JHU PT online MPH
  • JHU in-person FT MSPH
  • Emory PT executive MPH - has in-person component 2x/semester
  • Michigan PT online MPH population & health sciences
  • Harvard PT online Generalist MPH - concerned it is too general and new (only 1 cohort)
  • UCLA PT online MPH-HP - concerned it is too general, has in-person component 1wkd/month

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there - Current part-time in person health policy student at GWU! I strongly considered two online programs in addition to this in-person one (University of Maryland and UNC). I already lived/worked in DC and did not want to leave my full time job.

GWU also has an online program, but it is more general than the in-person one, where you apply to a specific program. For Maryland and UNC, you apply to specific programs (e.g. health policy). Not sure how it is for other schools.

For me, the in-person class aspect ended up being the most important decision factor (of course, then I spent a year remote due to COVID). I really enjoy having set class times and interacting with my classmates in person. Online programs usually offer way more flexibility however.

For the programs you have listed, I don’t have much info, only that the JHU MSPH tends to skew younger as there is no requirement for prior work experience (so it’s a lot of recent grads).

As for practicum vs thesis vs capstone:
At least at my school, the practicum is more like an internship. We don’t have a thesis requirement but some programs have a capstone, which is a class with a big paper requirement (but not as big as a thesis).

Reactions: 1 user
Hi there - Current part-time in person health policy student at GWU! I strongly considered two online programs in addition to this in-person one (University of Maryland and UNC). I already lived/worked in DC and did not want to leave my full time job.

GWU also has an online program, but it is more general than the in-person one, where you apply to a specific program. For Maryland and UNC, you apply to specific programs (e.g. health policy). Not sure how it is for other schools.

For me, the in-person class aspect ended up being the most important decision factor (of course, then I spent a year remote due to COVID). I really enjoy having set class times and interacting with my classmates in person. Online programs usually offer way more flexibility however.

For the programs you have listed, I don’t have much info, only that the JHU MSPH tends to skew younger as there is no requirement for prior work experience (so it’s a lot of recent grads).

As for practicum vs thesis vs capstone:
At least at my school, the practicum is more like an internship. We don’t have a thesis requirement but some programs have a capstone, which is a class with a big paper requirement (but not as big as a thesis).
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it! Considering your location and job I can see why you chose the program you did! :) Really great point about the MSPH program...for some reason cohort experience and age didn't even cross my mind because most of the programs I'm looking at have an experience requirement. Ideally it would be nice to collaborate w/others that have experience, plus I feel like there would be a better sense of community given my age and experience. Thank your input on the practicum/thesis/capstone, that makes more sense. All very helpful!