In response to the post, "Are DO's mechanically inclined?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Wyldstyle

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted the response below in the wrong section in response to a question but here is the link to the orginal post.
http://www.studentdoctor.org/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=001503

--------

Anyways, I grew up using my hands too. Whether it was manual labor in construction finesse work with art, I love using my hands. One of the main reasons I've aspired to medicine, and have kept a keen eye on osteopathic medicine is that I'd be able to use my hands to heal. Hmm...kinda like Jesus...well..maybe not to that extent, but you know what I mean.

wyldstyle2000

Members don't see this ad.

what's the point of this post?

I personally feel that anybody can do Osteopathic manipulation if you are taught the right skills and if you keep it up with practice. You do not need to be born with special hands to do Osteopathic manipulation. I think dentistry requires more of the artistic hands if you think about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by wyldstyle2000:
•I grew up using my hands too. Whether it was manual labor in construction finesse work with art, I love using my hands. One of the main reasons I've aspired to medicine, and have kept a keen eye on osteopathic medicine is that I'd be able to use my hands to heal. Hmm...kinda like Jesus...well..maybe not to that extent, but you know what I mean.

wyldstyle2000•

Hey Wyldstyle you annoying flea.....why don't you just admit that you grew up jerking off with your hands.....kinda like Jesus, huh? :) People like you make me want to use MY hands to constrict your trachea.
-your most suffocating Liquid

I've got to agree with Depressed on this one. Dentists are really the ones who have to have sharp spatial relationship skills and fine motor skills to do their jobs. Think about it, half the tasks they perform are on a tiny object inside a half open mouth of a screaming little kid who is jerking all over the place. Oh, and they are doing it ambidextriously while also reversing their perceived motions, since they are doing it all through a tiny little round mirror.

Oh by the way, Wyldestyle, it is true that Jesus LAID his hands on the sick to heal them, but I don't think the New TEstament makes any references to OMM being used by the almighty one. If he used OMM, that would kind of devalue the power of his miracles, right? He did use his hands, but I think he was using a slightly more powerful medical tool in those days, more popularly known as the Divine Power Of God than what we will be using our hands for. Sorry about the minutial scrutinizing; I just feel like being annoying this morning.