In search of NAVLE prep materials for sale (or free!)... Also looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSstateGrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! First of all congrats to the Class of 2014 who've already found out they've passed the NAVLE! I'll be taking the NAVLE this year and I'm in search of used study books (NVMS, etc.) for sale (...or free if you're feeling generous) or any study guides or links that you would recommend. General advice on preparing for the NAVLE would also be greatly appreciated :) I've searched/read through a lot of the older NAVLE posts but am looking for something more current.

Thanks in advance for any help and good luck to those in the same boat on taking their NAVLE this year!

Members don't see this ad.

My best advice is this: buy vetprep. It's expensive, but it's completely worth it. I was lucky enough to have my school pay for my subscription, and I'm grateful for the money I saved (which I spent instead on taking it in the UK). It prepares you well for the question format, it reviews so many things, there's video lectures, cheat sheets of diseases for different species, 4000+ practice questions, and 2000+ exam questions (if you pay for the full subscription). And now, having taken it and passed, I can safely say that vet prep works for most everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! First of all congrats to the Class of 2014 who've already found out they've passed the NAVLE! I'll be taking the NAVLE this year and I'm in search of used study books (NVMS, etc.) for sale (...or free if you're feeling generous) or any study guides or links that you would recommend. General advice on preparing for the NAVLE would also be greatly appreciated :) I've searched/read through a lot of the older NAVLE posts but am looking for something more current.

Thanks in advance for any help and good luck to those in the same boat on taking their NAVLE this year!

Sent you an PM

Members don't see this ad :)
My best advice is this: buy vetprep. It's expensive, but it's completely worth it. I was lucky enough to have my school pay for my subscription, and I'm grateful for the money I saved (which I spent instead on taking it in the UK). It prepares you well for the question format, it reviews so many things, there's video lectures, cheat sheets of diseases for different species, 4000+ practice questions, and 2000+ exam questions (if you pay for the full subscription). And now, having taken it and passed, I can safely say that vet prep works for most everyone.

Congrats on passing, you made it!! Thanks for the advice!! I've heard great things about VetPrep and was planning on picking it up this summer to start prepping for the Nov/Dec. NAVLE. With what you've said I'm even more confident on making the investment on it :)

My advice is to sign up for the Zuku question of the day now. It will get you used to the type of question and it will help you get an idea of what you will need to concentrate on in the future.

Then I would wait until Vet Prep goes on sale, and buy it. It's expensive but not as expensive as re-taking boards :)
I would not start studying for real until July or August at the earliest. I started at the end of September and that worked out perfectly schedule-wise for me.

Then unsubscribe the HELL out of the zuku question of the day once you pass the exam. ;) That was probably my favorite part about passing the exam tbh.

Reactions: 2 users
Then unsubscribe the HELL out of the zuku question of the day once you pass the exam. ;) That was probably my favorite part about passing the exam tbh.

This.

I also just deleted all the saved Zuku questions from my very special inbox folder in which they had been living, and then deleted the folder. Very cathartic.

:D

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I've been signed up with Zuku Question of the Day for a while... only because it's free :) But maybe, MAYBE I'll remember something, or if not like you said getting used to that question style will help.

This.

I also just deleted all the saved Zuku questions from my very special inbox folder in which they had been living, and then deleted the folder. Very cathartic.

:D
I am SO looking forward to that day! :soexcited:There will most definitely be a note-burning party !

My advice is to sign up for the Zuku question of the day now. It will get you used to the type of question and it will help you get an idea of what you will need to concentrate on in the future.

Then I would wait until Vet Prep goes on sale, and buy it. It's expensive but not as expensive as re-taking boards :)
I would not start studying for real until July or August at the earliest. I started at the end of September and that worked out perfectly schedule-wise for me.

Definitely a great idea on the Vet Prep sale; for anyone else taking it in '14 they have it a special on now that will extend it all the way through Dec... if you want to be an overachiever or stress too much (like myself). ;)

I have a question , I'm preparing for BCSE , and I'm using vetprep , do you think that it will be enough? or zuku is necessary!
Thanks

And congrats for everybody passed the test
I obviously don't have first -hand experience so maybe someone else will chime in, but I think it comes down to personal preference. I have classmates who are doing both for NAVLE prep, but I know with me if I have too many avenues to be studying I'll get distracted and spend too much time looking up all the different sources (also, I'm budgeting money along with time). Others probably like the variety. So not to say it wouldn't be beneficial, but maybe not necessary. From what I gather from all the replies Vet Prep is sufficient, then your notes from lecture.

All in my opinion, so for what it's worth :happy:

Haha....I passed 4 years ago and I still get Zuku questions. I dunno, I like getting them. The questions remind me of clinical stuff that I may not do as much anymore.

Anyways, in terms of resources, I also liked VetPrep - it was pretty much the only thing I used other than the free Zuku q of the day.

However, I don't think the structure and wording of questions with VetPrep is similar to the exam questions (or at least the year I took it). Does it cover the topics appropriately? Yes. But make sure to think about how they could word the same question differently when you are reading them.

Haha....I passed 4 years ago and I still get Zuku questions. I dunno, I like getting them. The questions remind me of clinical stuff that I may not do as much anymore.

Anyways, in terms of resources, I also liked VetPrep - it was pretty much the only thing I used other than the free Zuku q of the day.

However, I don't think the structure and wording of questions with VetPrep is similar to the exam questions (or at least the year I took it). Does it cover the topics appropriately? Yes. But make sure to think about how they could word the same question differently when you are reading them.
Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely keep that in mind working through them!

My thoughts on VetPrep...

VetPrep questions: The following clinical signs are x,y,z are apparent. Which disease is most likely occurring?

NAVLE questions: The following clinical signs x,y,z are apparent. What is your initial step as a veterinarian?

In other words, I thought you had to connect the dots a bit more on NAVLE. Rather than just recognizing clinical signs for a classic disease, you had to be able to come up your first step in diagnosis or treatment (which is unfortunately subjective, sometimes). That said, VetPrep got the job done for everyone I know.

My thoughts on VetPrep...

VetPrep questions: The following clinical signs are x,y,z are apparent. Which disease is most likely occurring?

NAVLE questions: The following clinical signs x,y,z are apparent. What is your initial step as a veterinarian?

In other words, I thought you had to connect the dots a bit more on NAVLE. Rather than just recognizing clinical signs for a classic disease, you had to be able to come up your first step in diagnosis or treatment (which is unfortunately subjective, sometimes). That said, VetPrep got the job done for everyone I know.

Exactly, this is what I meant but you worded it much more clearly.

The questions seem to focus more on treatment and prognosis than diagnosis.

It is kind of subjective in some way, though, I agree. There was one question that I actually answered with "euthanasia" rather than the other 4 choices which were all drugs. I have no idea if I was right or wrong, but I was struggling so hard with it I just gave up and said you know what? That's what I would do in the presented situation, which looked pretty hopeless.